4/11/16 The Wheelie Bin Is Back!

A sunny, windy day at Tullamarine with just a few players training.

The main point of interest was Joey practising his goal kicking. He had about fifty set shots today and if he doesn’t improve it won’t be from want of trying but conditions today were difficult with a strong cross wind. I noticed that he was wearing a glove on his right hand but it didn’t appear to make a difference one way or the other.

Zach Merret was helping Joey today standing the mark and providing some company and presumably a little bit of encouragement. Zach has leadership written all over him and Joey returned the favour as Zach did some snapshots with Joe providing an obstacle to be bypassed. As Zach develops as a player increasing the number of goals he kicks should propel him up the Brownlow ladder and will really help the team.

Shaun McKernan was doing some running with a trainer - presumably on the road back after his operations. I take this as a strong indication that he will remain on the list and provide some competition/coverage for Bellchambers and Stewart.

I had a chat with Dave the groundsman (he also looks after Windy Hill and Lakeside). The heavy October rains have created some problems creating lower than normal ground temperatures which, while it leaves the rye grass largely unaffected, slows the growth of the all important cooch and the heavy rain has increased the growth of broad leafed weeds. This said the oval looks to be in superb condition.

What about the wheelie bin you might ask? The traditional green bin has been replaced by a yellow bin colour co-ordinated to match the sixteen yellow footballs it contains. Those of you who went to training at Windy Hill will remember that during the Sheedy era a good deal of the training sessions were taken up with trying to lob kick footballs into the open bin - Gary O’Donnell being the champ. In an unusual twist the bin was lying down today but with the lid open. Our goal kickers made a number of attempts to dribble kick into the opening of the recumbent bin without success. If this practice continues I will keep you updated but as someone commented on another thread there’s not a lot to write about at the moment but the tension is slowly building as the hangar squats, Sphinx like on the windy plains of Tullamarine.

Hope they leave the bins open next week so Jobe can toss the brownlow in it

Thanks JM- brilliant as usual!

rolls eyes
We bring Wheelie #backin and he’s already in the rehab group.

How many snaps Joe make

*rolls eyes* We bring Wheelie #backin and he's already in the rehab group.

He’s been rubbish for a while now…

I refuse to take part in a pun chain.*

*mnbt

Joey practising his goal kicking. He had about fifty set shots today … I noticed that he was wearing a glove on his right hand but it didn’t appear to make a difference one way or the other.

So he still missed a lot then.

I had a chat with Dave the groundsman (he also looks after Windy Hill and Lakeside). The heavy October rains have created some problems creating lower than normal ground temperatures which, while it leaves the rye grass largely unaffected, slows the growth of the all important cooch and the heavy rain has increased the growth of broad leafed weeds.

Nothing a bit of Kamba M wont fix. I hope you warned him to read the MSD sheet before bringing any chemicals anyway near EFC.

Those of you who went to training at Windy Hill will remember that during the Sheedy era a good deal of the training sessions were taken up with trying to lob kick footballs into the open bin…

And hence why a whole generation of Essendon players could only execute stop and prop, high floaty lob kicks.

A sunny, windy day at Tullamarine with just a few players training.

The main point of interest was Joey practising his goal kicking. He had about fifty set shots today and if he doesn’t improve it won’t be from want of trying but conditions today were difficult with a strong cross wind. I noticed that he was wearing a glove on his right hand but it didn’t appear to make a difference one way or the other.

Zach Merret was helping Joey today standing the mark and providing some company and presumably a little bit of encouragement. Zach has leadership written all over him and Joey returned the favour as Zach did some snapshots with Joe providing an obstacle the be bypassed. As Zach develops as a player increasing the number of goals he kicks should propel him up the Brownlow ladder and will really help the team.

Shaun McKernan was doing some running with a trainer - presumably on the road back after his operations. I take this as a strong indication that he will remain on the list and provide some competition/coverage for Bellchambers and Stewart.

I had a chat with Dave the groundsman (he also looks after Windy Hill and Lakeside). The heavy October rains have created some problems creating lower than normal ground temperatures which, while it leaves the rye grass largely unaffected, slows the growth of the all important cooch and the heavy rain has increased the growth of broad leafed weeds. This said the oval looks to be in superb condition.

What about the wheelie bin you might ask? The traditional green bin has been replaced by a yellow bin colour co-ordinated to match the sixteen yellow footballs it contains. Those of you who went to training at Windy Hill will remember that during the Sheedy era a good deal of the training sessions were taken up with trying to lob kick footballs into the open bin - Gary O’Donnell being the champ. In an unusual twist the bin was lying down today but with the lid open. Our goal kickers made a number of attempts to dribble kick into the opening of the recumbent bin without success. If this practice continues I will keep you updated but as someone commented on another thread there’s not a lot to write about at the moment but the tension is slowly building as the hangar squats, Sphinx like on the windy plains of Tullamarine.

Interesting you mention this re lower than normal ground temperatures.
we have had this same issue in tasmania with farmers unable to plant crops due to the lower than normal ground temperatures.
this time of year it should be around 8c and has been around 4c this was mentioned to me approx a week ago.

Hope they leave the bins open next week so Jobe can toss the brownlow in it

Jobe can give it to me , I will go to AFL House and ask Gil to bend over so I can give it back in the most appropriate manner.

*mnbt

I see what you did there, subtle.

Yep il tip my hat to that effort

*mnbt

Seconded, bin it guys

Won’t take long till the jokes are bring recycled.

Well, this thread is trashed. My work here is done.

You know the club is in good shape when out biggest concern is soil temperature and growth rates of various grass varieties.

Wait…

This does cause me a minor worry, if the ground temperature in other states is higher, would that make the grass greener at other clubs? #groundskeeperexodus

You know the club is in good shape when out biggest concern is soil temperature and growth rates of various grass varieties.

Wait…

This does cause me a minor worry, if the ground temperature in other states is higher, would that make the grass greener at other clubs? #groundskeeperexodus

Yep. When we play matches it’d make the grass greener for the other side.

Bin did seem put out.

I hope it’s not a Visy bin.

Not sure if it’s a good idea having the bin around the club atm considering its past juice issues.