4 Confirmed Dead at Dreamworld

Such sad news. I remember riding Thunder River Rapids as a 5 year old back in the early 80s.

Damn, will follow inquest with interest as it was pretty safe iirc from last going there ~10 years ago

Shocking.

That ride has been going for years, surely a freak accident but very sad

Its just awful. People are supposed to be having fun, harmless fun. And the weather has been absolutely perfect today as well so more people would have been there enjoying themselves. So sad.

4 adults confirmed (2 males, 2 females), 30 - 40 yo. :frowning:

Such sad news. I remember riding Thunder River Rapids as a 5 year old back in the early 80s.

http://www.9news.com.au/national/2016/10/25/15/48/reports-of-at-least-one-dead-in-serious-dreamworld-ride-accident

We were thinking about you when we saw the breaking news. It’s probably the one ride I do go on when we visit you every year.

So many good memories on that ride. Looks like it may be closed for good now. Heart goes out to the families of the victims of this tragedy. As Scorpio said, its a great day in SE Queensland so many people would be out having fun. Very sad day.

No such thing as a freak accident, especially when it comes to theme park rides. There’s been a failure somewhere here and no doubt the Coroner will find it.

Very very sad. I’ve been on that ride as well. It would be the last ride in that park on which you could possibly think something like this would happen.

How will this effect Dreamworld’s attendance numbers going forward? Some will brush it off, but a good number will now likely blacklist the whole park forever you’d think.

Its my sons favourite ride & 1 of the few rides the whole family can go on that’s not boring. As others have said it has always seemed like a very safe ride. Looks from the aerial footage like its happened right near the end where the tubes go up the conveyor belt, maybe that’s flipped it over & they’ve been caught underneath. Tragedy.

This happened in the US.

I am a total wuss with rides but always go on that one. That is insane

Legit shook that it was that ride, that said, it’s so old and rickety if it was built today it would probably be much safer.

http://www.9news.com.au/national/2016/10/25/15/48/reports-of-at-least-one-dead-in-serious-dreamworld-ride-accident

i’ve been on this ride many times over the years

the one ride I least expected such an accident to occur on - very tragic

No such thing as a freak accident, especially when it comes to theme park rides. There's been a failure somewhere here and no doubt the Coroner will find it.

Very very sad. I’ve been on that ride as well. It would be the last ride in that park on which you could possibly think something like this would happen.

How will this effect Dreamworld’s attendance numbers going forward? Some will brush it off, but a good number will now likely blacklist the whole park forever you’d think.

i doubt that will have an effect on their visitors at all - but i suspect the ride will never reopen after this - they have closed rides in the past for safety reasons at dreamworld. The old Mine cart ride is in the same area of the park was shut due to the ride’s age.

The ride is obviously done for good but this could have an affect on their entire operations. It probably will depend on what comes out about why things went wrong. I suspect that a failure on Dreamworlds part will be found somewhere, and it that happens, why would anyone go there ever again when you could go to the other parks instead?

The ride is obviously done for good but this could have an affect on their entire operations. It probably will depend on what comes out about why things went wrong. I suspect that a failure on Dreamworlds part will be found somewhere, and it that happens, why would anyone go there ever again when you could go to the other parks instead?

People have died at lots of theme parks including Disneyland - hasn’t stopped it being 1 of the most popular tourist attractions.

And I think there is only two companies own them all anyway.

Legit shook that it was that ride, that said, it's so old and rickety if it was built today it would probably be much safer.

I just assumed initially that it was the Buzz Saw because it’s in the same area. Couldn’t actually believe it was one of the family friendly rides.

Freaked me out that it was that ride, it’s the sort of ride I am happy to take my kids on because it’s so tame. Really rethinking this sort of thing now

There literally would have been hundreds of millions of trips on that ride. Even accounting for yesterday’s tragedy, statistically it would be much safer than driving a car. No need to start abandoning theme parks.

The kids had to watch their mother die.