#4 Kyle Langford — not our worst in possibly our worst

Yep… drives me batty. As I’ve oft said… I’m not a huge Langford fan… I probably don’t see “it” but ffs… we have to at least find out by giving him a month in the seniors.

In the bottom 4 and can’t give a first round draft pick with 3 years under his belt 4 ■■■■■■ games?! Something stinks at EFC. Especially when, by all reports, he is clearly a step above VFL… so presumably there is not much more he can develop at that level. So to keep progressing he needs to play AFL or be moved on at the end of the year.

David friggen Myers… I can’t believe this slow dinosaur still gets a game… eeeek.

8 Likes

I would have thought it’s no chance this week if he didn’t play last week. Myers to come back, plus essentially both Mutch and Guelfi are ahead of him now. I’d say he needs 2 injuries now to get a game.

I love the conspiracy theories, but how does skippy have more sway in match committee then everyone else including the senior coach? If we can all see he’s being hardly done by and there’s no hidden reason for it other than some obscure grudge from the line coach then surely others in the club can see that too? I don’t get it.

1 Like

When he makes it at another club, deep down I will be happy for him.

9 Likes

Fast forward 6 weeks

JW “Kyle, now our season is officially cooked and there is nothing to play for - I am going to give you an extended run in the seniors”

#LANGGATE is classic Essington

And by then he will probably have made his mind up to look for another club

1 Like

This is all I ask.

1 Like

I felt the exact same way as Houli. I know that HIrd made it a priority to get him to stay but he had already decided to go.

We won’t get any trade value for him, but I think there will be a few clubs that could see potential in Langford and I hope he gets an opportunity to play. It is a shame to watch us mismanage so many players but hopefully things will change soon.

1 Like

imo lang would for sure be picked up by another club. his vfl performances wouldnt go unnoticed

As what - a big bodied inside mid? No chance.

You can’t rate him on his VFL performances if you want to recruit him as an AFL player.

At AFL level, as a big-bodied midfielder, he gets too few possessions and too few that are contested. Not much on the tackle side either.

CP ratio is key for the inside mid Langford wants to be. Elite players will regularly get 40% of their possessions as CP and almost always more than 35% whilst racking up 25+ possessions overall, getting 5+ clearances and laying 5+ tackles.

Even in the game against Adelaide in Round 1, where many saw Langford as having a good game, he only had 7 CP out of 23 possessions - which is a rate of only 30%, only had 1 clearance and only laid 2 tackles.

It might be only one game but people were praising Langford on here for that game - those numbers of his are nowhere near good enough for an inside mid when he didn’t hit any of the benchmarks I’ve pointed out.

He is not an inside mid and is not going to be one - it just doesn’t come naturally to him at AFL level. If he is going to make it at AFL level it’s going to be at what he is natural at - 3rd tall forward who puts himself into dangerous positions a la Jack Gunston.

Hit up forward every day of the week

1 Like

Watch this space and it will come back to haunt us. Inside mid agree. Big bodied midfielder this is what he will play- He is 21 and ask the question has he improved since 2016 when he played a bit of mid field . Answer would be absolutely. Not everyone rolls out of TACCUP as a 5-11" midfielder and he gets so much comment on this forum , because we all know there is something there and different , but our club is " same old same old" because its safe. Redman is another who has developed hugely as a watcher of VFL , but nope lets just play safe and go back to same old same old. Riddles will be the next. Look at where we are 14th of whatever and playing crap. Lets not think the coaches or the club has it right because results are very black and very white right now. Go boys lets at least get a win

1 Like

You are probably right. The chances of Langford actually making it as an inside mid are low.

However how many games has he actually played that role at AFL level?

In 2016 definitely he was playing hit up forward (17 games).
In 2017 he played mid at VFL level and every time he came up to AFL they played him as a forward (6 games)
In 2018 he’s played 2 games as a mid.

Even if we are generous and say the 6 games last year were as a mid, that’s still only 8 games playing as an AFL mid. With zero continuity (patches of 4 games, 2 games and 2 games).

Like I said the chances of it are low, but I don’t see how anyone could completely rule it out on the evidence so far. He has been completely mismanaged and starved of opportunity at AFL level.

1 Like

He’s played a sum total of 2 AFL games as a mid.

No idea where anyone gets the arrogance to claim they know how a 21 year old’s career will pan out, based on 2 games of footy.

3 Likes

#STANDBYLANGFORD

2 Likes

Completely agree, if he leaves it will bite us on the ■■■■ big time, and we will look very foolish. But on the flip side we still have Myers who has no right side, is slow as fark and handballs at peoples feet.

1 Like

Will end up at the Dogs and kick 40 a year from the flank, Dickson/Crameri replacement.

3 Likes

Already dreading 6.25pm when he doesn’t get named but Myers does.

8 Likes

get joey up the ground and have a

LAV
LANG
STEW
STRING
FANTA edit LONGY
WALLA

forward line

2 Likes

there’s gotta be some kind of ‘elastics’ style rhyme in that