#4 Kyle Langford — not our worst in possibly our worst

Will be our Pendlebury. GUN.

At worse he’ll be that player that opposition supporters don’t really know but nonetheless notice that he is always there with a steady kick. Strong mark. A clean handball out to a team-mate. Pops up for a couple of goals.

Or he could take out to that level where everyone knows him for the above but is a classy player. Not that he plays the same as him, but its terms of the class and what he gives to the side I see Langford as a potential Caracella.

2 Likes

It’s a bit of a meme typecasting him to other greats.

But for mine I reckon he’s a taller Jimmy Bartel. Langford is good in the contest but I don’t see him as a pure inside player. He has skills and moves silkily and great overhead. Bartel has a similar skill set and play style.

The Langford

The rise of young Bomber Kyle Langford continued in Essendon’s exciting victory over North Melbourne on Sunday and the midfielder admits he and the side are “on a roll”.

Langford has impressed since his return to the line-up in round nine, tying together the longest string of senior games he has competed in since 2016.

The 21-year-old gathered 22 disposals, had eight contested possessions and laid seven tackles in the 17-point win, and said his purple patch of form is the result of great effort.

“I’ve worked really hard on my game and it’s good to see it come out in the AFL,” Langford said after the victory.

“It’s satisfying as well, but I’ve still got a long way to go so I’ll continually work on that.”

Langford’s contested play has been a feature of his strong form, and he said he takes pride in his grit in the midfield.

“I love doing it, I love trying to hurt a few blokes if I can,” he said.

The strong win keeps the club’s season well and truly alive having now won five of its last six clashes, and Langford said it was satisfying to start to reap the rewards of the side’s hard work.

“It’s awesome, just another win. We’re on a roll now, we’re getting consistency so another win (and) another step towards finals.

“It’s all the hard work that we’ve been doing over the past couple of months, everything is starting to click and come together.

“It’s so satisfying when it all comes together and you get a win.”

The Bombers were blistering in the opening half, booting 13.6 (84) to the Kangaroos’ 10.4 (64) in the league’s highest-scoring half since 2009.

Langford said he was always confident the team could maintain that standard after the main break and can continue to produce the dashing, attacking style that has defined its impressive form spike.

“We know we’re a fit team and we roll a lot of mids through the middle, so we knew we’d get them in the second half,” he said.

“We’ve had almost two byes, so the boys are pretty fresh. It was a pretty fast game today, but we’re pretty fresh and have got a seven-day break, so (we’ll have a) good recovery and go again.”

Essendon faces another huge challenge next week against the high-flying Magpies at the MCG on Sunday.

More By Conor Walsh

4 Likes

CONTROVERSY

3 Likes

What number will Dev Smith take?

1 Like

He’s a very young 21 yo too.

Had a lot of footy ahead of him.

Could be anything.

1 Like

This is the Langford thread, not the Myers thread.

2 Likes

December / late birthday! :sunglasses:

Yep, I just went there…

1 Like

Yes,

3 Likes

The MRO has reviewed Sunday’s post game interview with Kyle Langford. He has been charged with a level 2 hurtful intentions offence, he can accept a one match sanction.

30 Likes

He can reduce the penalty to zero if he does the dishes for a week and mows the lawn.

That’s one way of getting back in Skippy’s good books.

I’ve heard he’s a lot like his father, except maybe not as fit.

5 Likes

Definitely looks like he is moving better and potentially quicker than previously. I wonder how much of this is to do with confidence and understanding of the pace at AFL level. Compared to the beginning of the season he looks so much more assured around the ball.

1 Like

I don’t want to go too early as he is just a kid but he is clearly going to be the greatest player who ever played the game

14 Likes

I think it was Jason but his just a kid

2 Likes

lets be honest thats utter rubbish. if he were going to be the greatest player to have ever played the game it would have been manifestly apparent from his first game. He is already 39 games in and only starting to show fleeting signs that he may become the best ever. on that basis ive already written him off. heck i wrote him in his second game when he got concussed… a future champion wouldnt allow himself to get concussed

2 Likes

I’m starting to really like him but the idea he’s going to be better than Zerret, Raz or JoeD, yeah nah I can’t see that.

Edit: Yet.

1 Like

um, who’s going to tell him?

1 Like