#4 Kyle Langford — not our worst in possibly our worst

He was great again today.

Dustin Martin’s gone alright in that time.:wink:

2 Likes

Thought Dustin martins been pretty fair

Special mention to the bus I catch to work also

8 Likes

Just finished watching the replay after having been at the game today. Always a lot on the replay that I don’t see from the 3rd deck and good to hear another commentary of the game too. Disappointed there wasn’t Roving Brian and the interviews from the rooms tonight on the replay as Ch 7 threw straight to the news after the siren, We had a few nervous moments in the last quarter but then we were able to keep the Kangas at arms length till the siren. We showed a maturity and poise that has been missing in the first part of the season.
Regarding Langford, he is very clean with the footy now and regularly makes good decisions. Can kick well on both sides of his body, is of a size that is hard to tackle, generally keeps his feet and doesn’t panic under pressure. He really seems to have come on in a rush and is a solid performer each week. Very impressive and in the best 22 for me.

1 Like

I just loved the fact that on a least 2 occasions today, when engaged in a clear 1on1 with an opponent he left them lying on the ground and ran off with the ball

19 Likes

Nice to see his strong frame coming to the fore now in the contests.
That bit of play midway thru the 2nd when Guelfi physically got rid of McDonald and won the contested 1-1, then Langford shrugs Daw off to give Bags a i50 was pleasing to see, with physically AFL match hardened young players out there.

1 Like

In his post-game interview he says he enjoys the physical stuff and putting guys down. It goes with that role so it’s good he thrives on it.

2 Likes

His last qtr was very impressive. With many of the players from both sides looking extremely tired and understandably making skill errors he seemed very clean with his disposals which set up countless attacks for us from the centre of the ground.

A couple of things that I was impressed with which I haven’t seen in his game to go with his evasive skills and strength in the close contests were his quick acceleration over the first 5-10 mtrs from a contest and the Dusty-type fend offs to buy himself time in the close contests too.

He is also coming very adept at playing both an inside and outside midfield role. Everything is beginning to click for him now in the role that he’s been groomed to fulfill, and some.

Once he begins to hit the scoreboard regularly he’ll almost become the most perfectly rounded midfielder in the comp in a couple of years time.

2 Likes

They all win

1 Like

In 7 years if he’s only managed another 40 odd games then I reckon your comparison might be spot on.

1 Like

A little birdie tells me that his dad has better endurance than Kyle

1 Like

Jesus, settle down!

It’s a new level of lid off!

Lol

1 Like

Definitely called him The Langford when he kicked a point early in the last quarter!

1 Like

Can we get a +/- worm of this thread? the turn around has been remarkable

3 Likes

Can see why Jobe nominated him for the number…some of his handballing yesterday in tight and in the contest that opened play up for us was simply Jobe-esque.

3 Likes

Good to hear nice reviews of his game, I haven’t seen the replay yet and I obviously missed some of the tight inside stuff he did from level 3. Bombers supporter next to me was a good bloke and liked Kyle but said he was his least favorite player, and so I noticed a few occasions where he let himself down or fumbled or kicked a clanger inside 50 (eg after Saads run). I do recall a nice inboard kick though that showed good vision, which my co-watcher was also happy to note.

He had some uncharacteristic disposals by foot yesterday. Usually one of the most reliable field kick in the team.

He hits those hard inboard kicks better than the easier ones wait til he starts hitting everything whilst racking up 30 touches

1 Like