#4 Kyle Langford — not our worst in possibly our worst

Cost more than a few goals, as well as the sealer, even though he had a 2 metre lead on the smaller carlton player who pushed him off the ball way too easily and kicked an easy goal

Worst on ground

He was worst on ground against the worst midfield in the game. It’s not great

5 Likes

Hey should have smashed Sam Walsh in centre Langford was ■■■■,

Guy develops really nicely as a mid in the seniors in 2018.

Has a bad JLT game and thus he can’t mid…

Yeah ok.

7 Likes

He looked like he was running in mud

I hoping we are still in heavy training mode not worrying that we had very little zip.

If we had prepared as in a normal game we better stop reading our press.

Absolute zero intensity. Devon Smith must want to punch him in the face when he laconically trots after an opposition player.

2 Likes

I’m not even slightly concerned.
That game was not even as intense as a training session. Half the team was in 2nd gear, trotting off to the bench receiving instructions, then trotting back on. Even a slight push on the pedal brought in 4 or 5 goals in a row.

5 Likes

I’m on record as a Langford in the midfield lover but he has got to stop giving his direct opponent at stoppages such a big leg rope to the point where he even hands them off to a teammate as the ball is bounced.

It was evident in the intraclub last year and it is still evident. Frankly I’m stunned the coaches and his teammates let him get away with it.

It’s not good enough Kyle and it is selfish. it would drive me farking mental if I was your teammate. Take ownership of your opponent, stick your shoulder in his chest and put yourself between him and the ball. See what starts to happen for you.

19 Likes

I don’t think he was ever a good forward though. When he’s up and running he’s great in the midfield. People have absolutely ■■■■ the bed over this JLT match. I’m stunned at the amount of panic going on. At the end of last season Langford was the second coming of Jobe Watson and after one ■■■■ performance in a practice match people have changed their opinion of him.

2 Likes

I’ve never had the opinion he’s the second coming of Jobe. I’ve allways had doubts.

He won me over last year with his field kicking, it’s a genuine weapon that we need to work out how to utilise. I’m yet to be won over he’s an inside mid.

2 Likes

Sorry mate the second part of that post wasn’t directed at you. Only the part about me thinking he’s better as a mid than a forward. The rant after that had nothing to do with your post.

1 Like

It’s expected. But I’m kinda disappointed in blitzes fragility.

2 Likes

With the new starting position rules one-on-one accountability at centre bounces are paramount, especially if you don’t have ruck superiority. It’s not just an issue Kyle has, most of our mids tend to struggle to apply pressure if they don’t win the ball themselves, and have done for some time.

Smith and Myers are the only ones who do it reliably, but if we are to have a good season they are gonna need their teammates to follow suit. If they don’t opposition midfields are gonna enjoy the extra space and find it easier to dismantle our defensive structures.

3 Likes

Langford was rated third behind Smith and Merrett for average overall tackles and ninth for tackles inside 50. He does his job.

From memory he was consistently rated in the top 2 or 3 each week for pressure acts.

I know stats aren’t everything but sometimes the eyes can play tricks on you also.

That may well be the case but his starting position at stoppages is awful

1 Like

Hard to say considering he’s rarely in there. Unless of course we are basing it off the JLT game the other night?

If there are issues with his starting positions maybe thats why he doesn’t get a run in the seniors much. Who knows.

Thats because he plays from behind his opponent, is beaten to the ball, and so has to tackle. Needs to harden up, play in front and win the ball. (Like Cripps).

1 Like

I was just saying he does apply pressure if he doesn’t win the ball…

It’s not just jlt. I first noticed it in the intra club last year when he was lining up in the centre opposed to stringer who he let lead him to the ball repeatedly.

He likes to sag off his opponent around a stoppage to make space for himself. That’s can be ok if you’re the target for the tap and your ruckman is on top but you just can’t afford to be doing that otherwise, particularly if you are nominally responsible at a stoppage for the othersides best mid.

I reckon there was a throw in on their forward flank in the 2nd where he had Cripps but sagged of so much that as the ball was inbound he was trying to call a handover to tippa who had his own opponent.

It’s just not good enough no matter how much you like Langford, and I like langford.

3 Likes

Come on, man!
Blitz is like the Bomber Supporters Sump