#4 Kyle Langford — not our worst in possibly our worst

The fact we only have Myers to play that role is massive error in judgement on both list management and Wooshas game plan.

We have had two drafts to rectify it under Woosha and countless under Dodoro.

1 Like

Yeah, not all midfielders are hardnuts mate.

You can play other roles.

1 Like

With reduced interchanges and speed of the current game, the need for aerobic beasts (to play in the guts) has never been greater. It’s not only about players who have the size, or even the ability to win the ball (inside) or receive it (outside). Mids need to be able to run all day - both ways.

One of the glaring problems I see is that we have plenty of one-way runners. Our mids really struggle to get back and support the backline. It is one reason I have (for some time now) thought that Heppell isn’t a pure mid. He plods. And he isn’t an extractor of Jobe’s calibre, so he can’t get away with it. I honestly believe Heppell plays his best footy off half-back (perhaps with a small amount of time in the mid as part of a rotation). That position suits his game best. Myers, Langers, et al. simply don’t have the tank required in modern footy. Trust Jackets is cranking (secretive) VO2 max tests on all the talented kids coming through. We need mids who can run all day.

1 Like

Agreed.

Mutch and Clarke are actually both endurance beasts. If only Clarke could kick.

Am aware of Clarke’s endurance ability, but this is the first I am hearing about Mutch. Interesting.

Both have glaring deficiencies.

Like all our mids except McGrath an Merrett.

Why is there even a discussion on this player?
If a player is not aggressive they never will be.
Can you ever recall a player who all of a sudden became aggressive ? No.

Langford, is a passive player who has average skills and speed.

Won’t be on our list in 2 years.

Langford actually has a very good aerobic capacity.

1 Like

Did he impress you on the incline treadmill at the gym, Boot?

This only shows me there half the midfielder we’re looking for.

Mutch I don’t think so. Seems a pretty complete player besides turning up like a whippet but has put on plenty of size.

In any case our midfield transformation was never going to be done overnight.

The natives are restless though, impatient for success.

Based on absolutely nothing, my assumption is that they know Kyle can do A and B, but they desperately need him to also do X and Y. So they wheel him out and he consistently gives A and B.

Lol. I’ll trust what I’m told by those inside the club who track this sort of thing. All players have weaknesses, including Kyle, but lack of aerobic capacity is not one of his.

I C.

1 Like

I’m not really rating those two you mentioned. Not more than Myers, anyway. I can see the attraction for Langers to be that big-bodied inside mid. Maybe it will eventually work, I don’t know. I reckon he lacks the temperament, myself, and enticing though it may be, it may not be the place for him. So if not inside, than where? I like our 3 small/3 tall fwds and how they work together. Up closer to goal, he would be up against Laverde, Begley, Stewart, Stringer, Green - that’s a long list.

We don’t have our positions worked out at the moment. I see McKenna possibly playing more centre now we have Saad. Maybe he’s the better choice in/out mid rather than Langford.

Mutch has lots of work in my opinion.

My question still stands on why Myers is our only inside mid for now then.

All Mutch needs to do is flatten out his kicking imo and he’ll be a player. Just knows where to go, and when. Like him a lot.

9 Likes

Steele and Stevens were both dropped by St Kilda this week. Kennedy looks average tonight. I’m glad we haven’t gone after those type of inside mids.

We will get someone at the end of the year that’s quality.

1 Like

Yep, I totally agree with this. He’s impressed me.

I’m not saying he has to be a hardnut, I’m saying he’s too soft. There’s a difference…

1 Like