#40 Ben Howlett - Delisted

HOWLETT%20Ben.png

Season Highlights
20 disps (12 kicks 8 hballs), 7 marks, 6 tackles and a goal in Rd 15 30-pt win over Port Adelaide at Etihad Stadium (7 Jul 2013)
25 disps (10 kicks 15 hballs), 6 marks, 6 tackles and 2 goals in Rd 2 148-pt win over Melbourne at the MCG (6 Apr 2013)
25 disps (16 kicks 9 hballs), 5 marks, 6 tackles and 4 goals in Rd 1 35-pt win over Adelaide at AAMI Stadium (22 Mar 2013)

BENNY

Reckon he was carring something for much of the year.

Pretty average season for Ben.  For the midfield to improve next year he needs to be much more involved or one of our youngsters needs to step up and take his spot.

Patchy.

Probably his best two games were his first two. Form fell off a cliff after his shoulder injury.

His form mirrored Essendon's of the past few years.

Must step up or will be pushed out of the team. Really thought 2013 was his year to step up.

before his games fell apart i thought he looked really confident and im hoping that comes back next year

he seems to me like one of those players who once he gets the ball anywhere near that forward 50 that he has the confidence in himself to goal , rather than looking 40 foot left first.

AWOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!

Spoke to Benny at the Crichton last week and I asked him how he rated his year. He shook his head and said "terrible" to my surprise. And I asked "Why?" to which he said "injury". I assumed it was the shoulder from Dreamtime match. He told me that he carried a groin injury throughout the second half of the year since the West Coast game in Perth. Certainly explained the drop off, at his best he is a solid midfield contributor. I certainly thought he fell away half way through the year from the decent form he had for most part of first 12 weeks.  In Luke Darcy terms "I love the way he goes about it". Gets in and under, not shy in front of goals and does a lot of things that may go unnoticed by some fans.

Round 1 was the standout match of his career. Really want to see more of that in 2014. He's a player with a few others who need to take that next step up next year if we are to improve further. I have faith he can do that. Such a great bloke to chat to, decent head on his shoulders, honest in his review of his year and judging by his tweets and what he has said in person to me is that he is certainly keen to have a solid 2014 year. I like his optimism for 2014 during his break. Hope for himself and the team he can step up next year.  

After a great start to the season I thought that Benny would take a big step forward. The game against Adelaide was awesome. Unfortunately he never regained form apart from a couple of games after that shoulder injury.

If we are to become a serious contender I think he needs to play like he did early in the season or be forced out.

Having said that, he is our most prolific tackler and averages just under 6 tackles per game. But he really does need to find more of the ball more, 15-16 disposals per game just isn't enough for a midfielder unless he is the number 1 tagger.

Hopefully he can stay injury free and have a great year in 2014.

Spoke to Benny at the Crichton last week and I asked him how he rated his year. He shook his head and said "terrible" to my surprise. And I asked "Why?" to which he said "injury". I assumed it was the shoulder from Dreamtime match. He told me that he carried a groin injury throughout the second half of the year since the West Coast game in Perth. Certainly explained the drop off, at his best he is a solid midfield contributor. I certainly thought he fell away half way through the year from the decent form he had for most part of first 12 weeks.  In Luke Darcy terms "I love the way he goes about it". Gets in and under, not shy in front of goals and does a lot of things that may go unnoticed by some fans.

Round 1 was the standout match of his career. Really want to see more of that in 2014. He's a player with a few others who need to take that next step up next year if we are to improve further. I have faith he can do that. Such a great bloke to chat to, decent head on his shoulders, honest in his review of his year and judging by his tweets and what he has said in person to me is that he is certainly keen to have a solid 2014 year. I like his optimism for 2014 during his break. Hope for himself and the team he can step up next year.  

Why is it that we always have mids that carry injuries and other teams seem to be close to cherry ripe come finals time?

No swipe at Ben. Just seems to be a pattern at Donland.

Why is it that we always have mids that carry injuries and other teams seem to be close to cherry ripe come finals time?

No swipe at Ben. Just seems to be a pattern at Donland.

Totally agree...why play them? But would they miss the whole season if it's a niggle or more serious and surgery is required. Do other teams have the same issues? Would love to feel a lot better about ours...maybe hid a lot of injuries to diffuse any "IT'S THE DRUGS" reports...

Injury season for him.....he is a tough nut type player with dash.....a solid pre-season and an injury free season could see him become a A grade midfielder.

As others said he must step up to maintain his place. My concern in the latter part of the year was that he seemed to struggle with the pace of the game, even moreso than his lack of possessions. 

If he had a groin injury as paddyI90 indicated, that would explain that yaco. Certainly he had a disappointing season after a very good start.

Led the tackle count didn't he?

You can tell he was playing injured. Looking fwd to him getting over those injuries and continue being a tackling machine.

If he had a groin injury as paddyI90 indicated, that would explain that yaco. Certainly he had a disappointing season after a very good start.

The guy came over to our table at Crichton for a good 15-20 minutes out of his own kindness and had a chat to us big Benny fans at our table. My respect for this bloke has skyrocketed further. 

I was sitting at the next table over from paddyl90 at the Crichton. Benny looked for all the world like he was just sitting with some mates having a chat, that guy has a fantastic attitude. He has certainly won me over this year, and I’m hopeful he has an injury free 2014 because I reckon the sky is the limit.

When healthy is a solid premiership midfielder. Does the little things and tackles like a mad man. Is one of our midfield enforcers.

I had a long chat with Ben's girls-friends father at the hockey masters nationals a couple of weeks ago in  Sydney  and  he also  told me Ben carried a groin injury for a significant part of the season. They are all expecting big things from him next season. He also told me that the boys knew Cramers had already accepted an offer from the doggies a while back.