#40 Luke Lavender - NewLAV!

Seriously? You honestly believe that being a CHB is just a matter of “following a forward around”?
I don’t know what to say to that.

2 Likes

It’s not, but you can sacrafice a position for development for a period. Plenty of guys have learnt the game chasing around key forwards.

I wouldn’t ask him to play like Francis, but to play a lockdown role in a key forward for half a season should be possible.

1 Like

Yeah, CHB is one of those spots which takes substantial footy smarts. He may progress to one, the athleticism he has would suit it brilliantly, but still needs to develop as a footballer.

He could play as a lock down defender on a mobile tall, however. That isn’t core CHB, although it might be manned up to the CHF at times. Given that we will have a Ridley/Gleeson/Francis in the VFL if all stay fit (can’t see them all in the same AFL side next year), that job would allow them to focus on intercept and rebound.

I suspect Ridley is the one standing in line, I think Gleeson and Francis are best 22, although Marty might need to polish his craft in the VFL for a couple of games.

1 Like

Are we abolishing preseason?

Give it time, I’m sure the AFL will get around to it

1 Like

There has been rumours.

But I do take your point, it’s just that I have a suspicion that Marty will have to hit full flight to cement his spot and be good against mediums and smalls, which may take more than 3 games, not just come in rusty like Hurley, before he can get to the front of the queue.

Given Francis has taken the slot he performed best in as 3rd tall, and he will be competing with Ridley, Redman and maybe Dea and McNiece (if they get a contract), for a half back flank which could also be impacted by match ups depending on how many dangerous small forwards we have to cover (which could bring McGrath and/or Guelfi into defence).

When everyone is fit, there is going to be serious selection pressure not only in the backline but forward and mid as well.

1 Like

Name me a clever CHB

I would argue it is the easiest position on the field. There is never an expectation of beating your opponent, as keeping them honest is seen as a win.

Scroll through EFC history and give me some names of clever player who played this role. I can think of some tough blokes, but smart ?

Sean Wellman, . Scott Lucas.

We’re done here.

5 Likes

Hurley, Hooker, Fletcher, Harvey. All guys with plenty of footy smarts

2 Likes

Ok then

time to move on …

Maybe you need to define “footy smarts” then.

Hurley is not a smart player

Raz is a smart player

You are not be honest again Boot.

You reckon opponents went it to beat Carey or Lloyd? Nope they tried to keep them out of the game, as none had the ability to beat them

And you believe no one went out to beat Ty Vickery?

1 Like

That’s a pretty intelligent plan tbf

1 Like

Nope, no need.

One always goes into a sporting contest with the desire to beat your opponent, even one you know is better than you. You accept the challenge and do your level best to win!

Just trying to keep them out of the game is a losing mentality and you’d never improve your own game if you had that attitude.

1 Like

Actually, this is a team sport… so… no.

I’ve played in a lot of team sports, not just footy and cricket, and I’ve never, nor played with anyone ever, who simply just tried to keep someone out of the game.

What’s a tagger then?