#40 Luke Lavender - NewLAV!

I hope he at least goes back to SA for a little while and cleans up his room now

14 Likes

Thanks for the effort Lav. Shame about your injuries. It would have made for an awesome story had you made it.

At least I wonā€™t get confused when people talk about Lav anymore .

1 Like

A little sad that it wasnā€™t meant to be, due to the injuries. It is always a concern when injuries hold a player back from fulfilling their potential. Still, Luke needs to look after his long term health, and that is understandable. Best wishes for the future.

So long, and thanks for all the fish.

1 Like

not so wrong afterall

Thanks for your efforts, Luke.

I was thinking about him the other day. I felt a bit sorry for him last year. Development players need a defined role, unfortunately we couldnā€™t find him one, and I didnā€™t see that changing this year.

Seems like a good young man. Very best wishes for whatever life has for you.

2 Likes

Bad luck S.K. Youā€™ll have to move all that gym equipment into the garage and give Luke his room back, at least for the odd weekend visit. Luke got onto an AFL list; what an amazing effort and experience.

3 Likes

Was the hail mary of hail marys, not particularly surprising. All the best.

2 Likes

Typical Australian fast bowler; they keep breaking down.

But Iā€™d break down if I had to play at Willy, too.

2 Likes

Farewell New LAV, ā€¦alas, we hardly knew ye. :frowning:

1 Like

He should be very proud of himself, he made it further than most of us could ever have dreamed of. For every star thereā€™s thousands that never even get close to what Luke got. Thanks for your efforts Luke, hopefully doesnā€™t curb your love of the Bombers.

9 Likes

Hope we trial Grigg out now we have a slot available

We donā€™t have a position available unless itā€™s a non footballer. But the club said it wonā€™t be filling the place.

Best of luck Lav in the future.
Iā€™m sorry injuries stymied your career. Itā€™s a tough game.

1 Like

Best of luck Luke- thanks SK for sharing your insights and good humour during his journey.

7 Likes

Thanks everyone for your lovely comments about Luke and our family. It has been a difficult time, but also a nice period of reflecting on an amazing journey. His mother and I are extremely proud of him, and how he has handled himself. With a whole host of emotions on display over the last week, he has constantly been the most rational and reasonable of all of us.

I personally cannot believe my luck. As a lifelong Essendon supporter, to be given basically a 2 year tour of the club and itā€™s inner workings is a dream come true! In coming weeks, I hope my love can be fully restored. Iā€™m sure it will, Luke wouldnā€™t want it any other way.

The media release was flattering. It was not Lukeā€™s decision, but such is the high regard he is held in, Essendon let him decide the terms of his departure.

Exits can be brutal. While I personally have some anger about how this was handled in relation mainly to timing (he was meant to be at the AFL Indigenous Camp this week - what an experience that would have been!), why it needed to happen at all and a few other things since the end of last season, he did get the opportunity to speak to his teammates and coaches as a group (which is an opportunity afforded to few) and has been and will continue to be well supported by an amazing welfare team at Essendon.

In our contact with Luke since the meeting where he was advised this was happening, weā€™ve stopped short of asking him what he is up to next. The last thing he needs is that pressure. He is still in Melbourne at the moment, but I suspect he will end up back in Adelaide. Footy? Not sure. Cricket? No, his shoulders are not capable. Moving back to our place? Abso-ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– -lutely not!

96 Likes

So basically, the whole ā€œhis body let him down, so heā€™s retiringā€ is just a load of sh*t?

Quality response @S_K

Thanks heaps for sharing the journey with us.

5 Likes

Thanks for sharing your insights S_K. Iā€™m sorry it seems to have ended abruptly. Sounds like a bit of club spin in relation to his exit.

At any rate as others have said, Luke is a star for making it further than most.
I remember a game at Carlton where Luke showed unbelievable ability with a ground ball - I thought he had something.

1 Like

:rofl:

6 Likes

Itā€™s a statement that allows for a dignified exit.

4 Likes