#42 Adam Saad

Yes there is

So you’ve just thrown the ball so incorrect disposal.

15.2 FREE KICKS RELATING TO POSSESSION OF THE FOOTBALL
15.2.1 In Possession of the Football
A Player is in possession of the football if, in the opinion of the field Umpire:
(a) the Player is holding or otherwise has control of the football;
(b) the Player is in the act of bouncing the football.

3 Likes

Which equates their possession to any player carrying the ball at any time. Nothing in 15.2.1 b) says “oh and by the way this means we now consider a failed tackle to be a correct tackle and we will consider the act of bouncing a throw if someone so much is touches you KB something something”

So when people say yeah that’s holding the ball it’s the rule I say rubbish. The rule as written does take out the KB cheat because when you bounce but don’t retrieve and are tackled you remain in possession.

What 15.2.1 actually says is that you are in the same basket if you are carrying the ball or bouncing the ball in terms of possession. It follows that you should have the same opportunity to break a tackle, unless the rules specify otherwise. Which they don’t.

3 Likes

Ok, I misread your post. Yes you are correct, you are in possession, but if you are being touched whilst you bounce the ball, its considered a throw. I hate that rule!

1 Like

So getting back to Saad, how has everyone found him so far in the 4 games? Personally think he is one of the few who played well against Freo and has played well in the other two. Seems to know when to go and when to tighten up.

1 Like

I thought he was very poor against the Bulldogs.
Has been solid otherwise

No need to hate - there’s no such rule!

15.2 FREE KICKS RELATING TO POSSESSION OF THE FOOTBALL
15.2.1 In Possession of the Football
A Player is in possession of the football if, in the opinion of the field Umpire:
(a) the Player is holding or otherwise has control of the football;
(b) the Player is in the act of bouncing the football.

Which nowhere says a bounce is considered a throw if someone is touching you.

All it says is someone bouncing is exactly the same (in possession) as someone carrying the ball.

I suspect the coaches are trying to curb both Saad and McKenna taking off every time they get the ball.
I believe the emphasis is now on defence first, because that was our achilles heel in 2017.

So Saad has had his nose to the grindstone in defensive mode and imo we will probably see less of his line breaking run, until we switch to “take the game on” mode, which is most likely to happen when we get well ahead on the scoreboard, or are behind at 3/4 time

1 Like

I’m not gonna argue with you. The rule is ■■■■, whether it is there or not!

Did Saad really need to be curbed though? I thought when we drafted him the comments from people who actually watched Gold Coast regularly, were that he had a very good defensive side to his game and the dashing runs etc were actually few and far between even though they were often spectacular when they happened.
This is very consistent with how he has played for us so far.

Think it was McKenna that needed curbing

1 Like

Yep. Saad has always been a very good defensive player. The speed, run and carry is an absolute bonus.

2 Likes

I had no problem with the Saad one being paid, but the one against McKenna was abysmal. The ‘tackler’ literally no more than a scraped a fingernail down his back while in the act of falling.

As I said at the time, if Conor was not in possession of the ball and that happened he would not have received a free for holding the man as he was not held.

3 Likes

Wish they enforced the “throwing” rule against Nic Natanui…only bloke in the game that has never legally hand balled the ball :joy::joy:

You obviously never watched Kevin Bartlett play. It is why that rule was changed to what we have now.

No I didn’t and I’m disappointed that you did!

Watching Bartlett had it’s moments.
As a kid I saw a little old lady lean over the fence and whack him with her brolly.
Football gold.

9 Likes