#43 Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti - WALLA MACCA TIPPA - till 2022

https://youtu.be/OlhkN4Ma3WQ?t=4m4s

Gees that game feels like it was only last year.

Say what you want about sheeds, but he knew how to coach and get the best out of indigenous players.
He didn't get the best out of Dale Kickett. It surprised me when he never trialled him in the backline during his time at the club, and down back was the position he went on to be a fine player for Freo in.

Super coach points. Now the official measure of a man.

I’m enjoying the hype around this guy and when it comes off he looks brilliant but I still see a touch of the headless chicken about him in some passages of play from the opposition. Maybe it’s because he tries to compete at every scrimmage around him and gets caught out of position.

Say what you want about sheeds, but he knew how to coach and get the best out of indigenous players.

I always felt Sheeds performed better just before his contract ran out as well.

His best game was his first at AFL level, I though he was going to be a jet after that. It's almost like he didn't like the knock he copped in that game and decided to be soft from then on.

It really infuriated me when he wouldn’t take the ownership to kick the goals, especially considering he could slam from 60 on the run if he wanted.

Tippa is everything I hoped Jetta would become and more.

For an 18 year old in his first game to ignore James Hird standing by himself in the goal square, and decide to kick a goal from a difficult spot in the pocket. That’s a shadow of the player he became. Something went wrong, and i think it was all to do with Matthew Knights’ aggressive approach towards players that destroyed Jetta’s confidence in his ability. Sheedy was always about nurturing a players natural instinct for the game. We’ve destroyed that for quite a few players over the last 10 years.

His best game was his first at AFL level, I though he was going to be a jet after that. It’s almost like he didn’t like the knock he copped in that game and decided to be soft from then on.

It really infuriated me when he wouldn’t take the ownership to kick the goals, especially considering he could slam from 60 on the run if he wanted.

Tippa is everything I hoped Jetta would become and more.

Jetta was walking out the door just before Knights got sacked, as was most of the club. Hird talked him into staying, and told him that he envisages Jetta playing in the midfield. Hird spent most of the preseason doing endurance training along side him. I think confidence was too far gone by that stage.

Was that Jetta? I remember Hirdy doing that, but I thought it was Dempsey. He definitely did it with Brown during his ACL rehab.

Can't help but think he is going to be a level better again next year.

Could use some more endurance (or a bit more footy nous to work out when to expend the energy he does have). Could use a bit more belief in his ability to win games off his own boot. Could use another pre-season with the lads just working out exactly what each other is going to do.

I know this year has been a massive step up for him. Reckon he can step up again in 2017.

Just aslong as we don’t coach the natural instinct out of his game with structures, ‘playing percentages’ & set plays. Imo that was one thing that destroyed Leroy Jetta’s football.

Obviously Tippa is more of a complete package than Jetta with his work rate and his ability to win the contested footy. But I trust Worsfold has more of an understanding of this aspect of coaching, as opposed to Matthew Knights.

Jetta was fine under Knights and developing well. It was under Hird his development stalled. In Knight’s last year Jetta hit career high average disposals, tackles and marks, aged 22. Every season under Hird his average disposal count reduced.

?? He had 2 blinders in his last 2 games of the year when he was out of contract and was caca before then.

Whilst I’d accept he probably got less disposals under Hird (won’t bother checking) he was a far better player in 2011/12 than at any other time in his career.

Leroy’s game vs Footscray, I think the last game Knights coached, was legit. He was awesome, because yes, he was out of contract.

That was the “real Leroy”, playing on instinct, playing like a kid. AFL footy ruins a lot of players that way (sound like I’m being a Leroy apologist - I’m not. He never had the heart required and that was all there is to it).

Leroy got to 93 games, hope none of his kids are guns!

Leeroy might have been a better player with a coach who he clicked with, seems he spent a lot of his career trying to find out what that spot was and struggling for confidence.

Still gave it a good go though, and I enjoyed watching him.

Yes it was all Hird/Thomsons fault. You could see that from his outstanding success once he left EFC/sarc

He kicked 7 goals in the WAFL v South Fremantle (my team and his old team as a junior) last season.

He had immense talent, though as I said above his failure to make a career was his fault.

Jetta was walking out the door just before Knights got sacked, as was most of the club. Hird talked him into staying, and told him that he envisages Jetta playing in the midfield. Hird spent most of the preseason doing endurance training along side him. I think confidence was too far gone by that stage.

I always thought that the Hird Regime ( not just himself but Bomber and all development staff) probably coached the flair out of a lot of our players. Defence was king, pressure was king, football skill or skill were too far the list of priorities.

“The Vanilla Era”

To be fair we did need to learn defence.

Edit: I wish we could look back at the Hird/Thompson era in a football related way.

There’s no doubting it, Tippa is tops.

Leeroy might have been a better player with a coach who he clicked with, seems he spent a lot of his career trying to find out what that spot was and struggling for confidence.

Yes it was all Hird/Thomsons fault. You could see that from his outstanding success once he left EFC/sarc

First half of 2012 was the best footy Leroy ever played.

Actually, the first half of 2012 was the best footy quite a lot of guys ever played…

Best not to think about that.

Was never a fan of his and didn’t think he would make it. But I must admit I thought I would be eating my words at the beginning of 2012. He was very good.

I always thought that the Hird Regime ( not just himself but Bomber and all development staff) probably coached the flair out of a lot of our players. Defence was king, pressure was king, football skill or skill were too far the list of priorities.