#43 Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti - WALLA MACCA TIPPA - till 2022

Stats and more so ranking points anoy the hell out of me. Everyone especially those in the media are so far hung up on stats it a joke.

Midfielders get far to much credit vs other players on the ground.

Walla might go missing on a stat sheet but it’s the little things he does just as much as the amazing that make him so good. Op players are scared to kick or run anywhere near him. Where is the stat for that?

Bit like Saad on the weekend who had the job on Betts. How many points does he get for sacrificing his game.

2 Likes

Didn’t you read the media spin? Betts did a defensive forward role on Saad.

3 Likes

He he no I didnt bat that’s how important Saad is now.

So you’re saying he should dye his hair blonde?

Did you read today’s whisper in the paper, Essendon neighbouring club to offer their cult hero massive contract.

Dogs are the only ones that worry me as they will have a stack of money to throw around. Can’t see him leaving though but we better not lowball him

1 Like

Could we do the same as Tigers with Dusty and garnish the contract with endorsement deals? He must be worth a fortune from a promotor’s point of view.

Id be really sad if Walla left and Im not an 8yr old kid.

8yr old kids would be devastated.

I’d be really surprised if Walla did leave. Can’t the dogs go find their own cult hero from the Tiwi Islands?

7 Likes

Sure other clubs would offer big $$ to extract players. Happens constantly.

We’ve seen it from North and Saints and players still don’t go there.

Walla would be loyal and hardly seems the money hungry live the life of lavish bloke. He’ll be paid very well within our structures.

32 Likes

This isn’t the saga where we’re on our knees dogs, who the FK do you think you are you pissant club thinking you can come after Essendon players.

23 Likes

Has he left yet?

I’m still waiting for Stringer to nominate us

1 Like

LOL. The headline is worth more than the article = clickbait.

Extracts from the article:

He has been keen to hold off talks to maximise his worth as a three-year deal signed after 34 goals in the 2017 season expires.

*boring

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/more-news/essendon-barometer-anthony-mcdonaldtipungwuti-likely-to-stay-despite-rival-interest/news-story/2c7f5ed2a071a01435a4df6e3f09fb77

1 Like

Essendon barometer Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti likely to stay despite rival interest

Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti’s decision to hold off talks with Essendon will likely pay a healthy dividend as a trio of Victorian rivals register interest.

The Western Bulldogs, Carlton and North Melbourne have all asked about McDonald-Tipungwuti, with the market hot for dangerous small forwards who can kick goals and pressure.

But McDonald-Tipungwuti is still likely to remain with the club that handed him a rookie-list chance as talks on a new deal loom.

McDonald has become Essendon’s cult hero and barometer this year, starring in the club’s winning performances and going ice-cold when the Dons lose.

The 26-year-old has kicked 26.7 and has the best accuracy rating for any player with 30 shots — plus 24.2 per cent kick rating.

ROUND 23: CHAMPION DATA’S FINAL LADDER

TRADE HQ: GOLDY TO STAY, DONS UP ANTE FOR DRAPER

FLAG TIPS: WHAT OUR EXPERTS SAY

The Bombers have also scored from 50 per cent of his kicks inside 50 — the seventh-best rate of the top 200 players for entries.

He has been keen to hold off talks to maximise his worth as a three-year deal signed after 34 goals in the 2017 season expires.

‘Tippa’ is a fan favourite. Pic: Getty Images

‘Tippa’ is a fan favourite. Pic: Getty Images

When McDonald-Tipungwuti fires, so do the Bombers. Pic: Mark Stewart

When McDonald-Tipungwuti fires, so do the Bombers. Pic: Mark Stewart

But he seems content at the club, more likely to secure a pay rise from consistent form that to chasing dollars at a rival given the pressure to perform by chasing dollars elsewhere.

There has never been a better time to be a well-performed small forward in Melbourne, with clubs clamouring for small goalkickers like Sydney’s Tom Papley and Port Adelaide’s Sam Gray.

That trio of Victorian clubs have registered some interest in McDonald-Tipungwuti but not yet lodged offers as they assess their options.

The Dons secured Tipungwuti after a remarkable journey from the Tiwi Islands via Gippsland Power and Essendon’s VFL side before being rookie-listed and making his debut in Round 1, 2016.

CLICK HERE TO SUBSCRIBE TO THE SACKED PODCAST

Essendon has been keen for some time to secure McDonald-Tipungwuti but is comfortable holding off talks until he wants to sign.

His small forward partner in crime Orazio Fantasia will remain with the club next year despite speculation about his contract.

His manager Anthony McConville said on Friday despite links to Adelaide clubs he remained steadfast he was happy seeing out his contract with no consideration to a trade this off-season.

3 Likes

When I see Saad kick his first solo, I’ll know McKenna’s work is complete

4 Likes

I think he did, actually. Betts talked pre game about limiting Saad and McKenna’s run, and frequently he tried to chase both. I think Saad was in Betts head so much that he wasn’t concentrating on his own game, and he certainly had no influence on McKenna’s run. I’d say that was a win for us.

1 Like

This should be the email auto-reply for any rival club coming after our players

3 Likes

I’ve got a 3 year old who’d be devastated. During games, she’s either cheering everything Tippa does or asking “where’s Tippa?”!!

13 Likes

I can’t see him going, unless the money this club offers is 100 plus grand a year less than what he could get somewhere else.

he doesn’t seem like the ryder type, and i get it’s a business and players generally do and should put themselves first, this is a rare situation where this club was seemingly the only one who was willing to ever give him a chance.
yes it was a long road, and could and probably should have hapnpened sooner, but again no one seemed to come knocking at his door prior to 2016.

again unless it’s obscene extra amounts of money, just doesn’t seem logical to leave.

Players should also always be weary in this situation, because it’s rare that once a player moves clubs, that club doesn’t have the same emotional attachment or bond to the player as a once club long career player.
as in once you generally go beyond your point of value to the club, they generally will cut you asap.

Mcphee with freo, monfries and port, ditto Ryder as he seems to be gone at years end, crameri etc etc they went for longer deals and money on the intial contract but i’m pretty sure none got more than that.
Maybe only crameri with Geelong picking him up as a rock bottom last ditch cover option.

Whereas look at us in general, but with goddard, the Saints thought he had 3 good years left, we said 4, then re signed him after that.
both good and bad, this club still does run a fair bit on sentiment, which i always say players should remember.

3 Likes