#45 Conor McKenna - Return of The McK - nope

Dead to me

I can just imagine the incredibly witty puns that would have flown around my primary school back in 1997 were it the Port Adelaide Cockledivers that were joining the AFL.

1 Like

It’s now incumbent on everyone at the club to make him the next Adam Treloar by making that comment bite him square on the ■■■■.

11 Likes

How good would it be that we win a GF before Brisbane. McKenna and Daniher would eat their hearts out.

12 Likes

Thought that was Port Noarlunga

only 1 year deal he can come to us next year.

They are. Port Noarlunga were founded about 40 years after Port Adelaide stopped using it.
Port Noarlunga play in blue and white which was Port Adelaide’s original colours too

1 Like

When I lived in Adelaide it was in Aberfoyle Park and I used to watch the local footy in the Southern League. I recall the strange names the Clubs had, Port Noarlunga the Cockledivers and Noarlunga the Shoes ??

Strange place that Adelaide !

1 Like

Yep. Noarlunga “Mighty Shoes”
The name is said to come from horseshoes and their logo is such. In the early days Noarlunga was a town on the trail south and was the site of an inn and blacksmiths where horses were fed, watered and had their shoes changed.
In the same league you have
Noarlunga Mighty Shoes
Port Noarlunga Cockledivers
Morphett Vale Emus
Reynella Wineflies

3 Likes

No evidence just coming from an amatuer sport again doesnt come across as someone who puts the work in before its needed

Baseless speculation.

2 Likes

not a dig at you, it is always funny though watching supporters who say this type of stuff AFTER a player has left, yet if they were still at the club (cough parish zealots cough) would be on here defending how awesome daniher is, and sitting on the fence is “just him expressing his fun nature” or some other bullshit.

That’s why i’m not bothered about mckenna going to brissy, least he’s honest about why he’s going there unlike some. he wants to try and pinch a flag knowing he won’t have to work as hard as he would if he had to go to a crappy side. that’s why I laughed when people got so upset about raz and daniher leaving.
they don’t improve sides in the sense that they make others around them better and lift them to greater heights, if anything like i suggested at the time would happen, there was just as high a likelyhood introducing them into successful environments would drag those environments down to their level.

3 Likes

Am I reading you correctly @splitround - any player in the league who is OOC can get to any other club if they are prepared to “retire” and sit out for a year?

Pretty sure, yes. They wouldn’t technically have to be out of contract at the time they made the decision either. If they retired, agreed to a payout and got removed from the list, they’d be eligible to return to whoever they wanted after a year sitting out. That should have been what happened with Liam Jones this year, but the AFL clearly didn’t want to get into an argument about it because of Unprecedented Times™.

I suspect if someone like Sam Walsh did it, the AFL would do some serious investigation into whatever club he went to subsequently, but it should be allowed by the current rules.

Edit: I’ll just add that Cam McCarthy did sit out a year when gws refused to trade him to freo the first time, but a) there was no SSP at the time, and more importantly b) the giants didn’t ever take him off the list, so he didn’t play but he was still a contracted player.

1 Like

I was going to mention McCarthy but I thought he was still contracted when he went back to WA.

So the big caveat is the club has to agree to retire you - so JHF couldn’t have done it this year - played a full year for Port in the SANFL then signed with their AFL side for nothing.

Depends what you mean “this year”. He couldn’t have been playing SANFL in 2022 after retiring at the end of 2021, no, because north would have presumably kept his contract just in case. He could have retired (or removed himself from the list) at the end of 2022, played SANFL in 2023, then joined port for 2024. I certainly wouldn’t want to be the team that tried it though.

Hes dead to me.

Of course he should have come back to us. People are saying we mismanaged him?
Come off it he was forever homesick which we always catered for him, brought his brother over, gave him time off when he needed it. Trialled him forward and he gives up - retires after the draft i think it was aswell? and goes home then decides to come back and not to us?
Pfft look if he played for us again id be like sweet hopefully you can get back to your best, but since you pick another club you can go EAD and i do not wish him well one bit

8 Likes

He retired with a couple of rounds left in the season, three months before the draft.

You like 3 other clubs?

Sometimes I don’t even like Essendon, yet alone 3 other shitholes!

2 Likes

Yeah that’s what I meant - this coming season. Interesting stuff.