#45 Conor McKenna - the first six years

But we're still restricted in our use of him in senior games. I know we can essentially promote one, but the others rely on LTI's.

No you’re right. And it’s not easy to promote them, you only get the “free one” at the mid point of the season. He’s ready to play, upgrade him. Ditto Hams.

I’m not convinced that Hams will stay on the list. If he does, it will probably be another year on the rookie list. Don’t get me wrong, I think he’s been reasonable, but it’s not a good sign that he was dropped last week

Nobody knows how good or bad this side will be in 2017. Nobody.

Thrown together teams don’t work. And that’s essentially what we’re getting next year.

No, that is what we got this year.

Next year we will have a team that has had a full preseason together and ready to rumble.

if you don’t think thats what we’re getting next year…

Hardly a team thrown together. Most of the list have played multiple years together!

It’s closer to a team getting a new coach - and plenty have had success year 1 in those scenarios.

You guys need to go and watch the Longy video. We’re going to win the flag next year!

You guys need to go and watch the Longy video. We're going to win the flag next year!

Fabric

But we're still restricted in our use of him in senior games. I know we can essentially promote one, but the others rely on LTI's.

No you’re right. And it’s not easy to promote them, you only get the “free one” at the mid point of the season. He’s ready to play, upgrade him. Ditto Hams.

I’m not convinced that Hams will stay on the list. If he does, it will probably be another year on the rookie list. Don’t get me wrong, I think he’s been reasonable, but it’s not a good sign that he was dropped last week

Geez I hope we don't do this (but we probably will). Hams has been around long enough for us to get a read on him and having finally played some games at AFL level the coaches should make a call on him. Either upgrade him and give him a chance to prove he can cement a spot in the senior side or let him go. People love to complain about some of the uninspired rookie choices we've made in the past but I think just as big an issue is how conservative we have been with managing it. Turn it over regularly and keep looking for risky guys who may be great or may be nothing. Also, only even drop senior players to the rookie list in truly extenuating circumstances otherwise you are just wasting time (and maybe throw in a father/son occasionally that wouldn't get a look in otherwise just to keep some romance alive, you never know what can happen when they get into a professional environment).

Geez I hope we don't do this (but we probably will). Hams has been around long enough for us to get a read on him and having finally played some games at AFL level the coaches should make a call on him. Either upgrade him and give him a chance to prove he can cement a spot in the senior side or let him go. People love to complain about some of the uninspired rookie choices we've made in the past but I think just as big an issue is how conservative we have been with it. Turn it over regularly and keep looking for risky guys who may be great or may be nothing. Also, only even drop senior players to the rookie list in truly extenuating circumstances otherwise you are just wasting time (and maybe throw in a father/son occasionally that wouldn't get a look in otherwise just to keep some romance alive, you never know what can happen when they get into a professional environment).

I agree with this. If it was up to me, I’d probably give Hams the flick. I don’t see him ever becoming anything more than borderline best 22.

Geez I hope we don't do this (but we probably will). Hams has been around long enough for us to get a read on him and having finally played some games at AFL level the coaches should make a call on him. Either upgrade him and give him a chance to prove he can cement a spot in the senior side or let him go. People love to complain about some of the uninspired rookie choices we've made in the past but I think just as big an issue is how conservative we have been with it. Turn it over regularly and keep looking for risky guys who may be great or may be nothing. Also, only even drop senior players to the rookie list in truly extenuating circumstances otherwise you are just wasting time (and maybe throw in a father/son occasionally that wouldn't get a look in otherwise just to keep some romance alive, you never know what can happen when they get into a professional environment).

I agree with this. If it was up to me, I’d probably give Hams the flick. I don’t see him ever becoming anything more than borderline best 22.

So you’re advocating delisting half the squad each season?
We must love them both, those whose opinions we share and those whose opinions we reject. For both have laboured in the search for truth and both have helped us in the finding of it. --St. Thomas Aquinas

You went to Xavier ?

So you’re advocating delisting half the squad each season?

That’s not what he said and it’s not a reasonable inference either.

Check him out when long gets selected. Reckon he would be good value to have around. Loves a hug. Elevate.

essendonfc.com.au/video/2016-08-11/btv-jake-long-interview-august-11-2016

there can be only one

Check him out when long gets selected. Reckon he would be good value to have around. Loves a hug. Elevate.

essendonfc.com.au/video/2016-08-11/btv-jake-long-interview-august-11-2016

Empathy.

p948jug5-k03q8i054

So the last 40 posts in this have covered the following topics:

-rookie list rules - 33 times
-players to be delisted in 2016 - 28
-Is cutting 20 players in 2 seasons excessive - 20
-Will Hams - 15
-Are we rebuilding or not - 14
-Jake Long - 5
-Conor McKenna - 3
-■■■■ I don’t get - 3
-St Thomas Aquinas - 1
-1962 Premiership - 1
-Xavier College - 1

So can anyone explain what this thread is about?

PS - Great game last weekend Conor!

A bit rough to keep a rookie on the rookie list and pay them $80K or whatever, rather than the $150K or so you get as a listed player.

Just so you can draft someone else at pick 93.

• no real idea what the pay rates are.
  • Super

Most likely on minimum + the promise of permanent residency. Standard practice with big companies. How can you put a price on this place, hey?!

Main list next year.

Hird like numbers today!

A goal kicking half back with pace?

Yes please.

Our very own Pearce Hanley with a higher ceiling.

Damn, he was good today.