#45 Conor McKenna - the first six years

I had him on a fast boat home a month ago but he’s convinced me he has a future.

Stick him in the midfield for a few games while Colyer learns how to kick again. He couldn’t do any worse.

2 Likes

He showed plenty of encouraging signs late last year and in the past month has regained that form and then some. There will no doubt be some facepalm moments but I’m not sure anyone else on the list has the upside of Conor.

3 Likes

Conitinues to develop nicely. In terms of where this team is at and considering the attributes he has and the player he could become he’s development would be a top priority.

1 Like

Takes the game on aggressively. Disposal efficiency generally very good (100% last night!) Breaks the lines

There’s so much to like about this guy and when you think of players who’ve been gifted games over a long period of time (when their form hasn’t warranted it, e.g. Melksham) his spot on the team is well and truly justified.

1 Like

We badly need he and/or McGrath - preferably both - to move into the midfield and provide some real run and drive away from contests.

As the game wears on we look really flat footed with Jobe/Heppell/Goddard/Myers at stoppages.

4 Likes

Expected McKenna to be tackled by the Richmond bloke in front and so go for the ball up.
When McKenna jigged and the the Richmond bloke paused no tackle came.

Moral - expect the unexpected from McKenna at all times.

2 Likes

And that’s one of the really important feature of his game. He can do some amazing things. If we’re aiming to be a top team we’ll need spectacular players like Raz, JD, Walla and Conor. For a while we will have to suffer the occasional hiccup but in the long run I think he’ll be terrific.

2 Likes

Would like to see him played as a winger or high half forward, use his run and creativity without as much risk of giving away direct goals

As opposed to the multiple indirect goals some other players give up.

We couldn’t work it out of our back half in the 4th you need players like Conor to burst the line.

I dont understand why your having a little sarcastic crack?

Did i at some point knock your little buddy?

I think he was good last night and has been for a while, i think he would provide more value on a wing where he can run and carry to break the opposition press.
Also think he gets nervous deep in defence one out which is what i meant by less risk of giving up goals, not to say he shouldnt push back to D50 i would just like to see him play with more freedom
To run and create going forward

1 Like

I’m still overtly seething about the team as a whole. It was unfair.

1 Like

Do you not think his run and carry/ creative kicking would have been more useful a little further up the ground rather than deep defence?

If he had someone reliable to kick to coming out it probably would have been fine i guess

I just think Hurls kicking out to him at 50-60mtrs he could have run it to mid wing and he is then able to give us F50 entries with some accuracy

I don’t think we could get that kick to him. They smothered us.

Yeah possibly true

Almost everytime we bombed it there were 3 tigers to 1 bomber

Enough about @youngbarry 's ■■■■■!!

When you see the pictures from this morning’s “spiritual home” session where all the players wore their local club jumpers and you see Conor in a Gaelic top and remember he’s been playing football for a minute compared to everyone else and maybe we should be a little more relaxed when he ■■■■■ up a pass or doesn’t know what decision to make on the field

8 Likes

Oh, the still go to Windy Hill. That’s nice

Don’t be ridiculous, that’s not how Blitz works.

2 Likes

You take that back! Whatever it is you said… “buzzword”.

1 Like