#45 Conor McKenna - the first six years

Yeah I’ll second that.

My quote was “there’s a good player in the making, but it’s not there yet”

Well, the last few weeks - I reckon it’s a lot closer than I thought it was. I’m not going to make any big calls on him - but his improvement rate is pretty remarkable.

1 Like

Position doesn’t really exist anymore. They’re more halfbacks now, JJ types. Guess it’s to do with bulk numbers pushing back then running it out. At any rate, I agree that his best position. Free up from a direct opponent where possible and have delivery forward of centre. Basically JJ without torching every second kick.

He’s more willing to get into the contest than JJ has ever showed. JJ is purely purely outside. McKenna doesn’t mind the contest (he’s just not great at it, yet)

4 Likes

Sure it does - like this:

b: Big defender, small defender

hb: Not as big defender, medium defender, small defender, small defender/midfielder, midfielder, midfielder, midfielder, midfielder

Defensive side of centre: Ruckman, Fast Half forward, Fast Half forward, Fast Half forward

— Big space on ground to run through —

hf: Fast Half Forward, Marking Half Forward who also sometimes plays ruck

f: Big Forward, Little fast dude to sniff around the ankles of the big forward.

int: Probably midfielders or fast half forwards.

3 Likes

Yeah, and for that reason I’d be keeping mostly outside… or forward of centre where if he loses a contest it wont hurt as much.

He stops and accelerates deceptively fast and had a more than good top speed.

1 Like

Or, option B, teach him to be a reliable, rounded player, cos we’re actually not playing for the flag this week or even this year.

3 Likes

I mean specifically wingers don’t really exist anymore. it’s all basically halfback flankers. He’s one of those players, perfect for that role.

1 Like

I think it’s worth giving him a run in Colyer’s role, Colyer seems due for a spell and either McKenna or McGrath are ready for a trial in that role

McGrath I think is more important in the backline so works out well for McKenna to have a go there

Also helps with the ins outs because we have McNiece as an option to come in but no one really who is a straight swap for Colyer

5 Likes

This

Another step forward last night. Gave a few quick release handballs in tight situations and is gaining the confidence to really put the jets on and demand it.

Go on, tell me who would you pick off a half back flank over this guy atm.

I reckon he’s just about put the super glue on his magnet over the last 3 weeks.

I’m not in a hurry to move him up to the wing just yet though. Still think he is better with the game in front of him.

I think the next step for him is to start taking more marks by providing linking options on the switch. He isn’t really spreading and presenting for those opportunities yet and is instead staying close to his opponent.

10 Likes

Agree i like him kicking out too is very inventive.

1 Like

Still haven’t watched the game but was worried this thread would have 30 posts last night after I was done work.

You needn’t have fretted, . Coming along nicely, to be sure, to be sure …

1 Like

He’s running more, at really good times, and has cut out turnovers. Might just be an Irishman who comes good.

1 Like

If we could put him on the bench every time the ball went into our back half and then bring him on whenever we get possession back then he would be one of our better players.

Whatever, how many times did he get caught out of position last night or beaten hands down in a one on one

2 Likes

Hard as a cats head and pace to burn. Good amount of ■■■■ in him as well. On that front he’s exactly what we need more of.

3 Likes

Did he deck toby greene?

Unfortunately no, … not that I saw.

My daydream visions are unreliable, it seems