#49 Matt Dea

Yep. Great teams need Matty Deas and Matty Guelfis. Play with heart and effort whether it’s the first 5 minutes or the last.

7 Likes

SHould never have been dropped, he belongs in the firsts

8 Likes

I thought he was our best defender in the first half, just really never disappoints. I can’t ever think of a game where he was poor.

5 Likes

Continually gives his all, and has no major weaknesses that I can speak of and I’d rate his marking as slightly above average, I feel more comfortable with him in the backline than most of the others. Unfortunately he knows where he stands with Worsfold dropping him after not even playing badly because he’s not flashy enough.

1 Like

I don’t want him dropped ever again was angry he didn’t play last week would had made life dificult for young Stephenson

1 Like

Lol. That’s not why they drop him.
Agree with all the rest of that though.
I like him in the side as well.

Has great mits and is very composed with his kicking. Doesn’t bite off more than he can chew.

Hope he cements his place over Ambrose whilst he is out with injury.

Love what he brings to the team.

2 Likes

His first instinct is almost always to stop and look for a sideways/backwards option, which can be frustrating as hell. Aside from that though, I think he’s been a really solid contributor for us this season.

Thats the same for all our defenders other than Saad, Hurley Goddard, Hooker all turn sideways or back.

Why the hell Dea gets dropped is absolutely unexplainable. He is the safest and most reliable defender we’ve got.

5 Likes

As someone who likes a decent number of the defenders we put onto the pitch to be able to defend, I’ve been a big fan of Dea for a while. Sure, he doesn’t have the offensive side of some of the others, but he’s far more reliable on the stopping his opponent bit than most of our team.

Its one thing if you’ve got guys who can do both, but we probably only have one who fits that category. Saad. Hurley pre-2016 could do it, and Redman is another possibility (Hibberd also did it, which is why losing him hurt so much). McKenna is improving, but still a bit dodgy. That’s about it.

So every week we need to balance players who can defend and who can attack. Dea sits prominently amongst those who can defend. IMO, he should seldom if ever be dropped.

1 Like

He effectively overtook Baguley in our defence, his form may be putting more pressure on Goddard to bow out. With a healthy list he is going to give serious headaches to the match committee. Arguably Redman, Gleeson, Ridley, Francis, Goddard and Ambrose could all play his role or take his spot. If he holds on to his spot he will have deserved it.

He is the sort of player the Gold Coast should be targetting, the kind of player you want at your club setting the example for the young ones.

Mildura lad I’m pretty sure.

Exactly the type of player ESSENDON needs.

1 Like

Very nasty landing, so ■■■■■■ couragious as usual!
Hope its nothing too bad, he really lifts the guys around him imho

Edit: is in the rooms congratulating the boys looks healthy enough

5 Likes

Hope he’s right for next week

1 Like

Absolute warrior.

3 Likes

His original goal was to be a top basketballer in the US, did not make it, delisted by Richmond. Set up his own business, seized the opportunity of being drafted as a top up and demonstrated by hard work in being kept on the list. He was not discouraged by playing most of his games in the VFL last year. He is someone who knows how to work his way through adversity.

15 Likes

Been great for us this year, hopefully he’s not too badl hurt.

This is why Dea should never have been ommitted from the team like ever, is all courage

1 Like

Hope he is OK. Was a nasty knock.

1 Like