#5 Brent Stanton - returns as VFL coach

I have been thinking about our young midfield and would like Stanton to play Half forward more than 80% of the game. 

Reason 1. He runs up and down the ground and would run defenders into the ground. 

Reason 2. He is always bobbing up for 1 or 2 shots a game when resting forward (Would end up being a 30 to 40 goal player)

Reason 3. With the rotation cap introduced, we need to be creative in the use of our ground time % of our senior players for the entirety of the season 

Reason 4. Provides opportunities for our young midfield to gain valuable midfield experience around Watson and Goddard, while Zaka, Heppell, Melksham, Myers continue their improvement. 

Reason 5. Adds to our rotation depth. 

Reason 6. I like the idea of having experienced mid sized and small forwards ( winderlich, stanton & Chappy) 

Reason 7. He has improved his defensive side/tackling and would provide us with dozen goal assists per game. 

I’d have a little less trouble believing the “Stanton goes missing” theory if, you know, he hadn’t been in our best 2-3 his whole career while we’ve been crap.

I feel some closet Boo-ers have posted hard in this thread.

Stanton doesn’t go missing when we are losing, we’re just a sh*t team when his not playing well.

Still staggeringly underrated by his own supporters.

Stanton has been a very good player for us for a long, long time.

It was perhaps our best drafting decision in the last decade when you consider all the misses we have had (and other clubs had in the same draft that Stanton was taken).

I am hoping he has a solid 3-4 years of very good football left in him and is part of our next premiership.

Has the most career AFL goals on our current playing list with 130

fark me that is a sobering stat

Yeah... That's not good reading

If you want Ross Lyon's opinion, look at who was standing next to #5 back in Round 3.

He’s a good egg stants!

Solid footballer, hard working, leads when required, knows his limitations and plays within them.

Some on here seem to see that as a flaw, for me it’s what makes him so dependable. He may never be elite because if this but gee it’s made him a solid player for a very long time.

I also think he is the kind of player that will be critical to prelim or GF. Those games are won on sheer will power under exhaustion, and when everybody else is fading stants always is the one still running!

The fact that we have a quality goal-kicking midfielder? or the fact that our key position players are young or haven't turned into stars yet?

I know none of you were saying that this was somehow a negative against Stanton but seriously if there's a guy who always seems to pay with his own reputation for the failings of his teammates it's Stanton. 130 goals is more than Jobe, Misiti and JJ, and not far off Longy. It's a good thing.

"Durries" Stanton

If you want Ross Lyon's opinion, look at who was standing next to #5 back in Round 3.

won that duel too.

The fact that we have a quality goal-kicking midfielder? or the fact that our key position players are young or haven't turned into stars yet?

I know none of you were saying that this was somehow a negative against Stanton but seriously if there's a guy who always seems to pay with his own reputation for the failings of his teammates it's Stanton. 130 goals is more than Jobe, Misiti and JJ, and not far off Longy. It's a good thing.

sobering that we do not have a fwd line. not a single senior fwd who has kicked more than 130 career goals.

"Durries" Stanton

smokin'

Stanton doesn't go missing when we are losing, we're just a sh*t team when his not playing well.

You know PP, that is a very good point. The opposition coaches seem to rate him higher than most Bombers, as he gets very good tags every game.

Stanton doesn't go missing when we are losing, we're just a sh*t team when his not playing well.

exactly! When he struggles the team struggles. He can't be BOG in every game. If anyone is crazy enough to call him soft or weak just look at his game against Freo early in the year of him playing a very good half against Port on one leg.

He and Jobe pretty much carried out midfield for a hell of a lot of years by themselves. Yet when Jobe has a poor game, you don't hear supporters carrying on. I honestly just don't get it. 

I do wonder if him taking on the No.5 had anything to do with it.

Would like to congratulate Brent and partner Sonja on bringing a baby boy into the world - Connor Stanton. Welcome baby stants to the father son club! 

Would like to congratulate Brent and partner Sonja on bringing a baby boy into the world - Connor Stanton. Welcome baby stants to the father son club! 

IS THIS TRUE

HO YEAH

Should have named his kid Boo.

See Scotty Lucas that's how it's done. First try and BANG! Baby boy.

Should have named his kid Boo.

Middle names "Much" and "Maligned"

Before you know it he will be running crawling laps at the Hird Academy.