#5 Brent Stanton - returns as VFL coach

it’s great to see how guys develop. he’s gone from a very, very shy kid who hates interviews to leading the presser as a assistant coach

I remember some of his early interviews. he hated the camera

4 Likes

Did he coach?

I hope you are joking, hes not even in the top 30 best essendon players in the last decade

1 Like

Was a very average player

Fark carlton

What a croc of ■■■■ from the both of you.

Probably had 10 top 5 bnf finishes and played 250 games was a very good player.

29 Likes

He was a good player but I wouldn’t put him up there with other greats

Yeah I wouldn’t say he’s a great but he’s a whole heap better than average.

3 Likes

You are clueless, but I’m still interested to see who these 30 players of 2010 till now who outperformed him are

1 Like

Stants was a farking star. I miss him.

1 Like

He wasn’t a star but deserved his spot in the team. The fact that he was one of our best at times speaks to how average we were for mine. Always Appreciated his efforts though.

2 Likes

You don’t get to 255 games if you’re not a very good player.

22 Likes

yeah you guys are farkn high

he was great

1 Like

CEO, Xavier Campbell said Stanton was hugely respected player who would be remembered as a great Essendon person.

“On behalf of the entire Essendon family, I’d like to congratulate Brent on an incredible career and thank him for his loyalty and commitment over the past fourteen seasons,” Campbell said.

“More than 250 games, four podium finishes in the Crichton Medal, and a regular member of the Club’s leadership group, places him in the top echelon of players to pull on the red and black.

“Stants embodies what it means to be an Essendon player. Consistent, selfless, and a ruthless competitor.

“He’s incredibly loyal and very popular member of the playing group, and played an integral role in navigating the Club through the past five years.

“We wish Stants all the best for the remainder of this season, and believe he will make a successful transition into coaching.”

Senior Coach, John Worsfold, said Stanton’s experience around the Club has been invaluable.

“Brent is a highly respected member of the playing group with a great football mind, and to play 255 senior games of football is a fantastic achievement, which takes enormous sacrifice and resilience,” Worsfold said.

“Stants’ work ethic and attitude is super impressive, and despite announcing his retirement today, I know he is extremely driven to see the AFL and VFL sides achieve the success we all hope they can this season.

“He is a fantastic role model for our young players to look up to. I know he has had a huge impact on the VFL players this season, and really enjoyed his time mentoring them.

“I have no doubt that if he applies the same drive and work ethic he will give himself the best chance of carving out a successful career in coaching.”

9 Likes

Even after he has been retired for a while he is still much-maligned by Essendon fans.

6 Likes

He should never, ever, have taken kick-outs, but he was a favourite of mine from his first pre-season tackle and I wouldn’t have booed him in a million years.

So I am very conflicted now.

Peter Bell from Freo, pre season game up in Darwin 2004?

1 Like

Hearing he’s signed for Lavington Panthers in the Ovens and Murray for 2020…

Don’t think the O&M will be going ahead!!

I was hoping this bump would say as FC development coach, he was planning a heel turn and plotting to help out EFC next weekend.

1 Like