#5 Devon Smith

This extract from a new post in the Stringer thread is relevant and interesting:

Under the plan Essendon would give the Bulldogs their first- and third-round selections (picks 11 and 46) and in return the Dogs give them Jake Stringer and their second round pick, currently selection 26.

The Bombers would then have picks 26 and 28, which they would seek to use as part of trades for Devon Smith and Adam Saad.

Read the whole thing:

Expert in all things “small”!

7 Likes

Should have gone with “Expert in (sm)all things!”

Opportunity missed.

What about “expert in (sm)all & sundry”?

I’d rather we “look after” GWS in a trade than WB if we’re having to make a call on one. GWS have been pretty reasonable to us and the relationship seems good.

31 Likes

I wouldn’t be surprised if we have a range of options for smith worked out already based on what GC and WB choose to do. GWS seems pretty reasonable about ‘most’ trades. I think the McCarthy was their biggest mistake.

I found this

Essendon’s Jackson Merrett and Ben Howlett will wait until the trade period ends as they try to secure one-year deals.

Merrett, who did not play a senior game this year, would likely be delisted if the Dons can land their trio of targets.

Howlett, who will turn 29 this month, played only seven games and also might be ­pushed out by the midfield squeeze.

Carlton hasn’t given up the chase for GWS forward Devon Smith

JON RALPH, Herald Sun
38 minutes ago
Subscriber only

CARLTON has not given up on swooping on Greater ­Western Sydney’s Devon Smith as it waits for Adelaide to come for Bryce Gibbs late in the trade period.

The Blues missed out on Brisbane Lions free agent Tom Rockliff, who became a Port Adelaide player.

But they continue to chase midfielders and, along with St Kilda, will monitor Essendon’s pursuit of Smith.

The Dons also want Western Bulldog Jake Stringer and Gold Coast’s Adam Saad, complicating any deal.

Carlton will pick up GWS midfielder Matthew Kennedy for a second or third-round ­selection.

The Dogs’ demand for Essendon’s pick 11 for Stringer, with little on the way back, means those dealings will drag into next week.

Then Carlton might again try to steal Smith from the Dons’ clutches.

Despite statements from Carlton football manager ­Andrew McKay and Adelaide counterpart Brett Burton that Gibbs will stay put at Princes Park, the Blues believe the Crows will ask about him again.

If the Crows can pick up Brisbane Lions’ selection 18 for Charlie Cameron and Melbourne’s No.10 for Jake Lever, they will have three top-20 picks. They already have No.16.

It means they could move for Gibbs, who wants to return to South Australia but is losing hope it can happen.

Carlton might relent on Gibbs, 28, if it can be handed picks it could trade for an ­established player.

St Kilda is a strong chance to secure key defender Adam Tomlinson, who is yet to officially tell GWS he wants out.

But the Saints hope he will ask for a trade back to Victoria despite being re-signed until 2019.

The Giants might agree because of their salary cap pressure and give St Kilda a tall defender after the retirement of Sean Dempster.

Saints chief operating officer Ameet Bains said they were interested in Tomlinson but GWS could block the move.

Bains defended the Saints’ lack of action in the trade ­period so far and said, with picks seven and eight, they were keen to move up the draft order.

“It’s not a question of going out there and trying to get some big name for the sake of it,’’ he said.

“Our fans would be really disappointed if we were that rash with our approach.”

Essendon’s Jackson Merrett and Ben Howlett will wait until the trade period ends as they try to secure one-year deals.

Merrett, who did not play a senior game this year, would likely be delisted if the Dons can land their trio of targets.

Howlett, who will turn 29 this month, played only seven games and also might be ­pushed out by the midfield squeeze.

3 Likes

Thanks!

Seriously can someone ban this farkin troll??

10 Likes

touchy eh?

Yeah, it’s strange how anyone can possibly get farking touchy about some moronic troll repeatedly bagging the club that this forum farking exists for, I know, and I certainly wouldn’t expect you to understand it.

2 Likes

I don’t know why, but I imagined you crying while you typed this. Not Trolling.

1 Like

scroll on love

Journos were expecting a bumper trade period. 3 days in and its been a snoozefest. theyve got to create some content somehow.

My guess is Jon saw this tweet and made an article about it

https://twitter.com/THEAFLSHOUTER/status/917911513716867072

SOS should ■■■■ off, him and his shitstain team

10 Likes

Wonder what happened 17 years ago to prompt this breeding spree of top notch footballers?

Essendon 2000, that’s what.

We should receive preferential rights to all of them.

13 Likes

‘The AFL would like to announce a 1 year hiatus to the father/son drafting rules”.

1 Like

SOS is just angry that Carlton missed out. Will be a Bomber.

2 Likes