#5 Devon Smith

Smith’s lack of size worries me.
I think he’ll be a good pick up for us as he improves us, but he is one of many players in the midfield that is under 180cm.

We’re going to constantly get belted physically around the ground.

Stringer is the priority.

Praying that Lav and The Langford come good. Mutch looking good but will need to have games pumped into him ASAP

I think he uses his body as a big bodied midfielder though. His highlights (understand that they’re highlights though) show that he’s not afraid to get the ball whether that’s on the outside or inside. I agree that we’re constantly getting belted around the ground though but I do think he fits the bill - I’m more concerned about his injury proneness.

Not sure height affects ones ability to compete and be physical. The height issue will hurt us in marking situations for sure but should have very little impact on such things as winning the ground ball, tackling and getting the ball out of congested situations. Speed is actually just as important and all these pickups would continue to address that.

I am more concerned about making sure that whoever we pick up is defensively minded and can compete hard.

2 Likes

If Langford and Mitch come good we only really need another beast. Stringer and Begley swapping through there could work.

Richmond are a team of smalls.

He’s ours Saints.

It’s not so much an issue in the home and away season.
But in finals it’s vital. Josh Kennedy’s ability to stand up in tackles, Dustin Martin shrugging 2-3 tacklers at once, the Crouch brothers size to win the ball. It’s critical in finals. Just look at our final against Sydney, we simply got pushed off the ball with ease. Jobe was the only one that could stand up in a tackle.

As i said, it’s not an issue in the home and away season. Finals though, it’s a huge concern for me.

But what does height have to do with that? Strength is the factor not height.

1 Like

Being physically belted around the contest shouldn’t be a massive concern as he will be likely playing a mix of inside/outside and forward.

If we continue to build midfield depth that can rotate through different roles then we should be fine.

Football class and ability always comes to the fore.

Trying to think of the premier’s big burly midfielders.
Martin is well built and about 186cm. Cotchin about 6’0” or 183cm, nuggety but not big. Prestia is under 6’0” and nuggetty. Shane Edwards is smallish and slight. Grigg is probably their biggest mid, he’s 190cm, but also their softest. Lambert is smallish, 178cm. Ellis is 180cm

Dogs flag midfield - Bont is a monster, Macrae is tall but slight, other than that Libba, Wallis, McLean, Stevens, Dahlhaus, Hunter, Caleb Daniels, and on and on. All mid size or smallish.

Agility and the ability to work hard both ways overcome brute size. Create a fumble, turn it over, control the ball into space with a couple of quick handballs, and work it forward.

7 Likes

Bomber bound: Essendon and GWS have agreed to a deal regarding Devon Smith
AFL
Jake Niall

October 11, 2017 7:08pm
Jake Niall
@jakeniallfox
Source: FOX SPORTS

Bomber bound. Photo: Tom Huntley
Bomber bound. Photo: Tom HuntleySource: News Corp Australia
ESSENDON and Greater Western Sydney have agreed on a deal that would see Giant Devon Smith traded for pick 11 and the Bombers receiving two second round choices.

Under the deal, which is understood to have been secured on Thursday, the Bombers will give up the prized pick 11 for Smith, but receive GWS’ pick 24 and a future second round choice (2018) in return.

GWS would also receive a later pick, probably Essendon’s future (2018) third rounder.

The deal for Smith leaves with additional second round picks with which to try and strike deals for Adam Saad from Gold Coast and — in what has been the most problematic trade — Jake Stringer from the Bulldogs.

The Dogs had rejected an Essendon offer that would have seen pick 11 traded for Stringer, with the Bulldogs’ second rounder, pick no 27, sent back to the Bombers. Essendon would also have given up a third-round pick, no pick 47.

But the Bulldogs’ firm stance on Stringer has seen Essendon move quickly to strike a deal with GWS, which had the advantage of holding more second round choices — bearing in mind that the Giants have been offered a future second round choice by Fremantle and were holding two second-round selections this year (Pick 24 and 26).

21 Likes

Great news, and looks to be a good deal for us.

1 Like

Thats what you get dogs! You play hard ball, you miss out on pick 11.

Expect Stringer to go to mediation next week and the deal get done for pick 24.

15 Likes

Dogs … over to you
Cats at 20 are back in the frame

Great deal btw. Upgrading next years 3rd round pic to a 2nd really gives us options.

Just need GWS to stink it up next year!

1 Like

looks like our priorities are saad and smith, that deal would ensure that. Getting stringer still very possible, we give them 24 and GWS next years second rounder for stringer, 26 for saad (or whatever our 2nd rounder is for this year)

good deal, whether we get stringer from it or not, its a good deal.

4 Likes

Whether Smith and Saad were priorities or not, I think it was the right call rather than letting the Dogs tie us up for any longer. We still have enough currency to get Stringer and the Dogs are running out of options.

4 Likes

Essendon: Devon Smith, 24, GWS 2018 second round pick.

GWS: Pick 11