#5 Devon Smith

A bloke who’s completely cooked and played the majority of his career as a key back?

I’d rather Peter Wright being that guy to tell the younger guys how to setup. You don’t need an old/fringe/cooked player doing that.

So to be like 1993 where the team has about a dozen players with premiers medals and/or Grand Final experience, the 2023 team only needs to add 11 players along side Stringer?
Going to be a massive trade period for this to happen!

2 Likes

And it’s going to be tough for our reserves to get up for the Grand Final this year.

2 Likes

That’s pretty much Stewart

2 Likes

You didn’t happen to catch any of our games in the first half of the year?

We need a forward setup where Wright’s allowed to just play, and not have to worry about the other 5 guys as well. Not at just over 100 games’ experience, anyway.

My 2 cents, anyway.

Yea I actually did and I don’t think Hurley “directing” players would make a difference.

Who’s saying he needs to worry about 5 other guys? No player should be doing that, if that’s case you’ve got some seriously dumb/poorly coached players

Preferably someone who’s aware of the concept of forward pressure, at least as an abstract concept, if not in practice.

(But it would be in place of Stewart)

1 Like

If there’s an upgrade on Stewart who only wants to play for a year I’m in. Doubt there is though.

1 Like

Hang on, is this the Smith thread where we all wish him well after he has retired or the selection thread?

1 Like

Me, in the post you replied to?

Backline we’ve got McGrath, Kelly & Ridley, midfield we’ve got Zerrett, Heppell, Langford & Shiel.
Forward line Snelling & sometimes Langford?
Gigantic leadership gap in the forward line.

Should be the coach, not a player. We’ve got huge issues if we need someone looking after 5 team mates as well as their own game

Hurley ain’t the bloke to fill that leadership void

I’d think there would be. Always clubs who have to toss up between a 30yo and a 23yo.

I don’t really know whether Hurley is that or not. I suspect his body won’t get through 2 weeks, let alone 20.
But we need someone to do that.

Dyson Heppel enters the chat.

3 Likes

I’ve never got Blitz’s collective hateboner for anyone over about 27. It’s weird.

2 Likes

I meant he’s playing forward this week, he’s auditioning for the role as we speak.

2 Likes

Argumentum ad hominem as usual from you - or to put that in football terms, you love playing the man instead of the ball. So here we go again with the ageist remarks.

You’re no chicken either. You’ve been around here a long time yourself - almost as long as I have – but I’ve had the same handle since I started here, whereas you’ve had at least two. What are you trying to hide ?

By the way, “you’re” is not “your”.

Lol this is some of your finest Pierce

Gutless.

They could have played Dev today. Would have contributed more than at least half the team.