6 Day Break - The Excuse

One is always upset, and the other is upset, always.

Nth played in Hobart and have 6 day break…not really a massive advantage at all.

Whoever wants it more and plays the style of football directed by coach wins.

We have the highest number of consecutive 6 day breaks of any team in the competition this year.

We have the highest number of consecutive 6 day breaks of any team in the competition this year.

At least we’re winning something.

League leaders in getting 6 day breaks.

I hate it being mentioned. Its not the difference between a win and loss

It’s a conditioned response to “explain” away a loss.
Lose a game you shouldn’t, argh yes don’t want to make any excuses, but you know 6 day break and end scene.

It’s just a PR reason that was created to explain away a bad game/form etc, nothing more nothing less really.

I’m still bitter about 2008 where our first four games were on a Monday, Sunday, Saturday, Friday. By the end of that we had a bazillion injuries, and lost the next eight matches in a row.

Yep... there is always an excuse.

I’m already lid on, but if we put in a poor show this weekend, against the mob that kicked us out of finals last year… then look out, I might type something really mean.

Like what Sam, drat?

Is it 2? It's 2, isn't it?

Lose a game you shouldn’t, argh yes don’t want to make any excuses, but you know 6 day break and end scene.

It’s just a PR reason that was created to explain away a bad game/form etc, nothing more nothing less really.

Even by your standards, you’re being especially cranky atm.

I’m still bitter about 2008 where our first four games were on a Monday, Sunday, Saturday, Friday. By the end of that we had a bazillion injuries, and lost the next eight matches in a row.

Remember it well…unfortunately

I actually sent an SMS to SEN about that at the time and they called me back and asked me if I wanted to go with it on air because they checked it and couldn’t believe it either.

Never got a prize for it, now I reckon they have my number blocked.

how come we’re the only club that needs footy boots? All the other clubs wear thongs.

Can anyone find me a quote of Matthew Knights saying its hard to play in thongs?

No you cant. When will this 10 year nightmare end? It won’t but I told you for years ago.

Got it in one.

Here are the breaks in detail:

Rd 01 - N/A
Rd 02 - 8
Rd 03 - 6
Rd 04 - 7
Rd 05 - 8
Rd 06 - 6
Rd 07 - 6
Rd 08 - 9
Rd 09 - 6
Rd 10 - 7
Rd 11 - 7
Rd 12 - Bye
Rd 13 - 14
Rd 14 - 8
Rd 15 - 6
Rd 16 - 6
Rd 17 - 8
Rd 18 - 8
Rd 19 - 7
Rd 20 - 6
Rd 21 - 7
Rd 22 - 7
Rd 23 - TBA

Totals:

6 DB - 7
7 DB - 6
8 DB - 5
9 DB - 1
14 DB - 1
TBA - 1

Even by your standards, you’re being especially cranky atm.

if it helps, I meant it across every team that uses it, not just us.

crankier since the Freo lose, probably. actually the collingwood lose ( I wasn’t as savage as others about the st kilda performance).

Meh you question me for flip flopping and that, and despite what people make up about me in their heads about being negative and ■■■■, I see the potential in enough players to think we could be a good enough side to win a gf, with a bit of tinkering.

That spirit got broken with said 2 losses above for this season, and probably the carlton effort. So I’m ■■■■■■ off that unless things change dramatically, I and most should know what the end result of our season will be.

It’s funny though, I don’t predict outlandish things, I don’t make these wild acsusations about us being bottom 6 or anything.
I merely point out if we don’t change things, the most likely outcome is we finish where we have in the past, when we’ve done the same things. We know the end result cos we’ve lived it for how many years ?

Anyway back on topic. most teams use it now as an excuse like I said. It’s just one of those footy cliches now that gets bandied about as fact, but like I said it’s just pr spin for coaches to use as a get out of the spotlight card.

Just like the limited rotations due to injured players and all that.
I have to laugh when commentators say oh a club is down on rotations cos they had to use their sub early.
Um no it’s still capped at 30. and one fresh player in qtr 4 doesn’t improve the rotations or anything. For the most part you still have 3 players on the bench at any given time that can be rotated.

Footy is ultimately a business and coaches etc need to paint the right picture for people to buy into what they are saying.

anyway that’s enough mumbled nonsense for now in here.

Got it in one.

Here are the breaks in detail:

Rd 03 - 6 vs Collingwood (7 day break)
Rd 06 - 6 vs Freo (6 day break)
Rd 07 - 6 vs NM (6 day break)
Rd 09 - 6 vs Richmond (6 day break coming back from a night game away)
Rd 15 - 6 vs Melbourne (7 day break but they’re coming back from a sat night game in Darwin and we’ve got a sunday lunchtime game at Etihad so pretty even)
Rd 16 - 6 vs NM (6 days)
Rd 20 - 6 vs Adelaide (8 days)

There’s only two games where its an excuse

I actually sent an SMS to SEN about that at the time and they called me back and asked me if I wanted to go with it on air because they checked it and couldn’t believe it either.

Never got a prize for it, now I reckon they have my number blocked.

BERTOCCHI HAM

Along similar lines: I noticed in the Herald Sun today that the Bulldog’s loss against St.Kilda was accounted for by one reporter as a simple “emotional letdown” after their great win against Sydney the week before.

Direct quote: “WESTERN BULLDOGS
The Dogs’ win against Sydney sapped their emotional and physical energy, but to lose after being 55 points up?”

But yeah, no such thing when you’re talking about Essendon and the Hawks game, let alone attempting to account for the effect of the past two years.

I also want to know who has actually used the 6 day thing as en excuse, coz I haven’t heard it.

"It was an outstanding victory. Coming off a six-day break, playing Easter Monday against the Cats, which was a pretty torrid affair as well," Clarkson said.

http://www.sportal.com.au/afl/news/clarkson-lauds-hawks’-resolve/1mm7y1iznu5vl1oqahnmjlg3pe

"It's not an unusually short week. AFL teams deal with six-day breaks all the time and we've handled them really well," Lyon said on Monday.

"We don’t emphasise the short breaks, we just understand what we’ve got to do with them.

“Coming off a six-day break and a harder surface we went conservative with him and he’s fine this week,” Longmire said.

http://www.theroar.com.au/2014/09/02/longmire-happy-bring-back-five-swans/

Leading up to a game and after a loss is what I meant.

Seems like first is talking about a comprehensive win, the 2nd seems like answering a direct question and dismissing it as any issue and 3rd is talking about player recovery from an injury point of view.

May be it is a perception but it seems like I am not alone in thinking this.

It’s okay to admit when you’re wrong.

"It was an outstanding victory. Coming off a six-day break, playing Easter Monday against the Cats, which was a pretty torrid affair as well," Clarkson said.

http://www.sportal.com.au/afl/news/clarkson-lauds-hawks’-resolve/1mm7y1iznu5vl1oqahnmjlg3pe

"It's not an unusually short week. AFL teams deal with six-day breaks all the time and we've handled them really well," Lyon said on Monday.

"We don’t emphasise the short breaks, we just understand what we’ve got to do with them.

“Coming off a six-day break and a harder surface we went conservative with him and he’s fine this week,” Longmire said.

http://www.theroar.com.au/2014/09/02/longmire-happy-bring-back-five-swans/

Leading up to a game and after a loss is what I meant.

Seems like first is talking about a comprehensive win, the 2nd seems like answering a direct question and dismissing it as any issue and 3rd is talking about player recovery from an injury point of view.

May be it is a perception but it seems like I am not alone in thinking this.

excuses excuses