#6 Joe Daniher - drank a beer

Just trying to generate discussion and you are effectively saying its of little value.

I think there are some very valid points in what he is saying, even if he is going the wrong way about it.

You got me Jack

Yeah, ok. I like your input man - not that it matters what I like or not.
I’m on an anti-stat crusade at the moment though.

2 Likes

Are those new quotes from Lloyd specifically for this article? Wonder whose idea it was to put the story out, there are some relevant points.

Fair enough.

It’s obviously not all about stats but they do have value if used in correct context.

No ■■■■ mikaela :blush:

1 Like

Yeah if the premise of the article (i didn’t bother reading it all) is that Joe needs to harden up then it’s hard to argue with. Stop playing for frees and use that extra 5 kgs you put on in your year off to push around a few defenders. I have no doubt he’ll fix these parts of his game.

2 Likes

Like I say I think he’s just using Joe to make a point.

Joe takes lots of marks so he’s retaining the ball so he doesn’t need to tackle like some other tall players.

You’ve been posting 2.5 anti stat posts at 78% efficiency. Keep it up.

8 Likes

Just move on Jack.

No need to take ■■■■ so personally.

taels? talks?

your phone has a problem KM

1 Like

Yep.

I should probably start proof reading :grinning:

Chinese unit of weight measurement.
He’s saying our forward-line is too heavy.

2 Likes

Prob come good at Sydney next year

3 Likes

When stats are presented without context to make a click bait article it’s fair enough to point out their B/S.

Far too often stats are used as an excuse to not really watch or think about the game, but provide some ‘objective’ defence for what is essentially a personal opinion. And therefore avoid criticism for your sloppy ideas and/ or failure to actually watch the game because you were too shifaced*
*Hello Slobbo

Joe Daniher- forward pressure
From watching games there’s not too many people who’d argue Joe needs to apply more pressure if he doesn’t mark the ball. I’ve said for a few years that if he could keep his feet and apply a second effort, rather than going to ground or appealing for the free, this would be the most significant improvement he could make.
Or tackling lower, rather than giving away the cheap high free kick. That too would help.

Now that’s an opinion.
You can argue with it or not but it needs footy judgement calls. Which in turn can be argued with.

As for our other forwards observation would say Smack is very good. Crashes packs, competes ground balls, throws his weight around ( and gives away free kicks)
Stringer on song is also very good - his goal assists last year through tackling and smashing packs were great to watch. At times you wish he would chase harder but swings & roundabouts.
Stewart OK
Brown- a totally different forward type. A leading ball playing contest is what I look for from him. Eg I’d rather he tapped the ball free from a contest to Walla or Fanta than laid a tackle and locked it in, which is what I see him trying to do.

1 Like

Might have provided the quotes fir the article, but Lloyd definitely detailed this in his book.
Talked about Martyn and the like, throwing him around and finally having a gut full of it.
Once he started throwing his weight around, everyone backed off.

Joey needs to go back to mongrel school and learn a few new tricks other than finger twirling.

Why is Joe immune to having to tackle? The article makes good points, Buddy applies pressure and tackles. Granted half the time he clotheslines someone and gives away the free. But he applies pressure.

Every player in the team needs to apply pressure.

1 Like

I didn’t say he’s immune to it but I don’t think he’s the main culprit either.

He’s an easy target due to his exposure.

I will always defend Joey because I think he comes under far to much unfair scrutiny on this site.

A high percentage of people are judging him off the back of an injury riddled year rather than the year he made AA as a 23 year old.

2 Likes

I’m just worried that Joe won’t be that same player that kicked 60 goals and made the AA squad after suffering OP I’m praying it’s not going to plague the rest of his career.