#7 Zerrett - could double his Crichtons by 2027

Experimenting still.

Don’t change what isn’t broken.

Parish and Merrett combo should be exactly the same

Once we have Jones and Walla back Stringer into the middle

I still believe Caldwell will be very good in there but Stringer at starting bounces and runs forward.

It ain’t hard I hear you, why they experimenting, not all players can play a utility role which is what they seem to be looking for

That’s the sort of stuff that we haven’t been trained to do in 20 years. Geelong clearly make it a point to teach their players how to use their body to improve their position in the contest.

And our guys have a history of not knowing what a shepherd is

3 Likes

I don’t think they were experimenting (not that much). It’s seems like we have been training in some fantasy world for the past few months where everything just happens how we want them to and the opposition doesn’t matter.

I put down our lack or injuries to the way they have been training. You can’t get injured if you aren’t pushing yourself.

I’d take it twice in about 60 games TBH.

4 Likes

A player doesn’t get 39 disposals by being weak, squibbing it or putting in a lazy game. His disposal efficiency was down on his normal output but he was still, at least, one of our best players. Merrett can’t be blamed for our other players not being in position to receive passes and presenting as targets. How much better would he have been if Draper’s centre hit outs were to our advantage and not to Geelong!? It would have been helpful if the Forwards gave better leads. It was a bad day, but don’t blame Merrett, and I hope he gets 39 possessions every week, bu my O my, I hope our other players lift and give him better support!

2 Likes

Watch a replay, there were a good 5 or 6 instances of his direct opponent just working harder than him in the centre square, pushing past him and either influencing the contest or winning it.
Attended 18 centre bounces for 0 centre clearances - that says a lot.

Fantastic that he found 39 touches or whatever, but the vast majority of them were inconsequential.
Clearly there was a huge failure in setups, in planning, work rate, whatever, it’s not just one guy. But there’s really no defending his game, either.

6 Likes

Rest of the team didn’t have any centre clearances either

Dunkley is out of contract this year

Considering we only have martin and maybe Durham who can play wing, why don’t we play Merrett there?

He played there for most of 2020 and was bloody good at it.

Thought his interview on AFL 360 handled himself very well, took ownership himself and as a midfield group and said criticsm was fair and only way too reflect a positive is to change it around on the field.

1 Like

Said Cox led the way though haha

1 Like

Yes I picked that up!

2 outta 3 ain’t bad Perkins and Martin also

We have done better without Langford and Stringer before

“hopefully we bounce back this week”

yeah, hopefully zac. hopefully

3 Likes

We all drinking a glass of hopium

I’m sure we will see a better performance, a win I don’t think so but wouldn’t be surprised if we won either.

2 Likes

He is aware he had a stinker of 39 soft possessions with zero accounting or defensive pressure on his opponent who collected 3 votes BOG.

Not sure how much his defensive game will improve this weekend but the contested work at stoppages will improve, couldn’t get any worse.

Probably should’ve used better language. Supporters don’t want to hear hopefully…we want players to say that WONT happen again and next week we WILL be better.

I don’t mind that from Zach, but each to their own.

Parish has gone with this: https://twitter.com/scootermcneice/status/1506459127849320448?s=21

To me that sounds like cheap talk and all I can think about is the round two 2019 shitshow against St Kilda that followed the disastrous GWS game. Or last year’s round two against Port.

To paraphrase, don’t talk, do.