#7 Zerrett in the beginning

haha. I wonder which benfti special was the blitz favourite on that draft night :slight_smile:

1 Like

Literally the only part of his game he can improve is his one on one defending above his head when caught in defence. Other than that no problem areas in his game and as i said before the start of last season the best player on our list.

I laugh at the comments from people saying McGrath or Parish or player X will be better than Zerrett in a season or two. If those guys get near Zerrett’s level we’re laughing.

P.S: I’m not saying they won’t get to Zerrett’s level, but I think his ability is underrated when people think they’ll get there easily. He’s comfortably one of the best 20 players in the comp already imo and likely to stay there for at least the next 5 years.

10 Likes

Year overhead and I think he’s still got a bit of room left in the chassis for a bigger tank. Still being used in bursts a bit and game time isn’t quite up there with the senior guys

He even flies under the radar of some of our own supporters.

Don’t you love this kid always looking to improve even tho he’s a gun already will win the Norm Smith on GF Day.

Bomber T’s favoriute.

where do you see game time stats? and when you say not quite up there with senior guys are you meaning other Essendon mids…specifically guys from the returning 12 like Hep?

They are in the AFL app (though I subscribe so I don’t know if I’m getting special access). Just as an example in Rd 1 last year he played 98 minutes.

Hepp - 99
Zaha - 99
Smith - 103.50
Mitchell - 107
Sheils - 112

In round 23 he played 90 minutes. Hepp 100 Fyfe played 104, Zaha 103 Hill 104 bj 117

I’m not going to go back through every game but I do look at this things over the course of the season he was never amongst our top game time bracket for the midfielders.

He played 90 in the final too while Kennedy played 107, Over a half quarter differential. Haneburry played 101. If Zerret is playing in the 90 minute range it means he’s sitting on the pine for close to a quarter every week. We need our best player out there more.

He’s still young and I’m not particularly troubled by it but it is an area I expect he’ll continue to work on.

I reckon he could improve his game time by 5 to 10%. Considering his already outstanding output, that is pretty exciting

8 Likes

Although very different players I think McGrath will get to Zerrett’s level in the next year or 2, and that’s no reflection at all on Zerrett more an indication of how highly I rate McGrath.

And yes we will be laughing

3 Likes

Yep, he’s smashing it, just does every drill consistently well

1 Like

Little Zacky Merrett. He’s a beauty.

2 Likes

I’m actually thinking we have the makings of the most talented midfield group I’ve seen in my life time at Essendon. Zerret parish and mcgrath will all be top shelf, hepp will get back there. I think they are 4 near sure things to be a grade mids.

7 Likes

Zerrett needs to get peroxide in his hair or get a neck tatt, to get noticed to win the brownlow :slight_smile:

He also might need to tell stringer to ■■■■ off to the forwardline, otherwise he might be stealing votes, with his hair style, blonde locks and commentators raving about the package.

1 Like

Talent-wise, yep.
If only there was another big-bodied beast in there. Someone imposing. Powerful.
Then…I agree.

The new mosquito fleet …

http://www.boylesfootballphotos.net.au/Reference_+Essendon+Mosquito+Fleet

I’m not so sure, Zerretts kicking is what make his such a weapon. Neither McGrath or Parish have his foot skills.

Ivan has gone full lid-off!

7 Likes

I agree with you on Zerrett’s kicking, and it’s unlikely that McGrath will ever get to his level of kicking skill.

But McGrath is already the best and most creative handballer in the team and could well end up the best in the competition at that, as well as being outstanding athletically. I’ve also heard it said of him that he’s like a sponge and is an incredibly fast learner, you only have to tell him something once. I’ve already seen a vast improvement in him compared to this time last year.

Again I like most of us have the highest admiration of Zerrett and am not being at all disparaging about his abilities, more so that I can see McGrath being just as damaging but in a different and complimentary way.

7 Likes

I agree completely.

I think you could nearly add Smith to that group as well.

Whatever Stringer adds will just be a bonus, and he actually has the potential to be the most damaging of all of them in a similar mold to Dustin Martin, Paddy Dangerfield and Nathan Fyfe

2 Likes

According to Champion “frogsnot” Data Zerrett is not elite? Oh well then back to the drawing board.