#9 Dylan Shiel (Part 1)

I feel the majority of his poor ball use is after he’s been on a blistering 30-40m dash and he’s cooked/off balance and tries to kick the cover off the ball and ends up shanking it.

5 Likes

Oh come on. He had 34 touches and 10 turnovers. Obviously less than ideal. He also had 7 score involvements 7 clearances and over 700 meters gained (300 more than any other bomber and 200 more than the Anzac Day medalist).

He was a big part of why we ran them to the line and why we dominated Collingwood at stoppages despite losing the ruck for the first time since god knows when. He constantly gave us field position.

He’d be as filthy with himself as anyone for that last turnover to Pendlebury and for the missed shot in the last but we’d have got blown away without him today.

As for his conversion in front of goals I don’t think I’ve seen him miss a soda yet, he’s always been going flat chat, under pressure, often throwing in a quick change of direction, from about 45 out of not more. If he was going at 30% from the shots he’d had he’d be doing pretty well, if he hadn’t hit the post twice he would be.

I’d love to see him getting an easy over the top one waltzing in from 30 out. It will come.

Edit: the shot he took from 55 in the first bounces straight through 9 times out of 10. This one must have landed on a turd because it bounced dead and turned at right angles.

31 Likes

He is purring along ready to explode. 6 rounds in, only going to get better.

4 Likes

Didn’t look his usual assured self.
Then again l could be reading too much into an intangible.

Always been poor.

People where queefing themselves over him being our best player and the class etc.

He actually isn’t a “classy” player. He moves beautifully and is wonderful to watch, he is explosive, but he isn’t a good kick and he certainly isn’t our best player.

I have been flamed for pointing this out to people ready to make him the Messiah.

Whether he’s the best or not isn’t the point, he’s completely transformed our midfield which was a one paced hack it forward from a stoppage group (unless Merrett can drop back into a pocket) which was very reliant on fast half back transition through the corridor to score.

We are now dictating the play from stoppages, running out of them, making defenders ■■■■ themselves and establishing field position. It’s the modern way to play. It’s what pundits like to call, sustainable, i.e it stands up in an arm wrestle and keeps you in the game. It got us back into it today. I’m glad we finally joined the party and stopped dumping it long and high to the Harry Taylor’s of the comp.

14 Likes

I agree with all that. He is an elite clearance player. Has changed our midfield dynamic.

But all of a sudden people are not talking 800m gained but actually realising he isn’t the GOAT because his disposal is average at best.

Love him though. All would have been forgiven if with 2mins left running free off half back he had hit a free target and not put it lace out to Pendlebury.

My pre game prediction of him kicking the opening goal almost came true.

No, I agree. Maybe the enormity of the crowd and occasion got to him a bit?

1 Like

I thought he was BOG at qtr time.

So he settled fine.

But then he french fried when be should have pizza’d.

2 Likes

His kicking wasn’t great today, and to be fair, wasn’t great at GWS. However, he has lifted the midfield standard and accountability. He was massively influential in our comeback today, but equally, he contributed to our loss with some horrible turnovers at crucial moments. I’m confident when he settles he will be a gun, he still has a lot of improvement.

7 Likes

well said

he needs to just steady a little more and I am sure his kicking will improve and hit targets and kick goals

if so he will be a gun

1 Like

If he nailed even half his shots on goal and miskicks he’d be front runner for the brownlow

Think he’s had 3 posters and the rest missed by centimetres

Dangerfield is a turnover merchant. He most definitely doesn’t need to copy him.

1 Like

You know when he will kick his first goal? against Fark Carlton that would be gold.

Was his disposal 100% efficient? No. Has he completely changed our mid-field dynamic and allowed Zerrett, Heppell, and Zaka to get free. Yes. Has he shown that he is among the elite in the comp in terms of taking the pill and hence the contested game by the scruff of the neck. Emphatic YES.

We have the best mid-field of any Essendon team since '01. And frankly, minus Hird, I would love to see this one go up against that one.

5 Likes

Burst players usually have ■■■■ disposal.

1 Like

Very true.

Extremely rare to find players with blistering pace who can kick the ball accurately at distance.

The 2 I can think of for Ess would be Lovett and Bewick.

I can’t believe how much our game style suits Shiel and how much he suits our game style. It’s the perfect match playing wise and will only make him a better player as the year goes on.

I have no doubt he will get the goal monkey off of his back and then start hitting them on the run regularly.

2 Likes

It’s the perfect example of when statistics mean nothing. He was terrible.