#9 Dylan Shiel (Part 1)

Negotiate a PDF

I’m over house forms at present.
Still signing the wrong sign here bit.

2 Likes

I can’t help it 'cos I love to break the rules. Blame it on ABI, actually don’t blame it on anything,
I just do it. Change is the only constant not affected by rules.

So you believed an UNNAMED source that was most likely either GWS or the newspaper themselves over Shiel who said he never gave anything a second thought and left all if it up to Conors?

I’m more curious about GWS’s form. Encourage Shiel to look elsewhere to help them out of the salary cap issue, then change their mind and put pressure on Shiel to stay after he’s already committed to another club.

They screwed Shiel around more than Essendon did.

26 Likes

Part of me wondered whether they were playing some serious high stakes Poker Game in which they were bluffing big time.

Think of it like this. They lose Scully somewhat unexpectedly and then proclaim to all that the salary cap issue is now gone and we can retain Shiel. So they say “please stay” even though they 99% know he is now committed to leaving. What if they actually couldn’t keep him under the cap but pretended they could thus have a perceived stronger position at the negotiation table.

The idea they could have kept him may also carry into next year and it may be helpful when trading next year so they aren’t forced to give up players for a bag of chips.

Big gamble. But a real possibility I think. In this scenario if he had of said yes I’ll stay the PR disaster of saying oops, our bad, you gotta go would have been huge.

Shiel is overrated. Give me Gaff any day.

Sorry guys - that was an old draft post from before he nominated us.

5 Likes

not to mention Tippa and Orazio’s stints in the midfield or Myers if he plays his best footy

the question is- do we go for a mature strong bodied midfielder or replace Coyler and Green with a small fast forward ???

Apart from making us even more exciting to watch, what I’ve really enjoyed in the videos and snippets the club has released since his arrival is just how confident he comes across. Having guys who are like that and driven is really important and will drag along some of the younger heads along into convincing them that a flag is a genuine possibility. I like the cut of his jib.

5 Likes

Crap. If it was correct, this would be a summary of that article:

Wrongs writers.

QED.

[quote=“reincarnated, post:475, topic:14348, full:true”]
My question to Essendon — if you always intended to offer up two first-round picks — would be why would you put Dylan Shiel through 10 days of crap and not just do the deal.[/quote]

To make Carlton think they were in with a chance only to have their hopes dashed with minutes to spare. That should be reason enough.

4 Likes

but the media said that Port one last year and Carlton won this year!!!

The only impact this will have is on the scoreboard and an enhanced win/loss ratio for EFC.

You appear to fear many things.

1 Like

Easy question to answer. We never intended and never wanted to pay 2 x 1st rounders. We thought with the salary cap pressure & GWS’s willingness to trade Shiel given FA next year, a 1st + 2nd rounder would get it done. That changed when GWS gave Scully away for free & traded Lobb & Setter, and then decided they were willing to stop Shiel getting to Essendon.

These events changed the transaction price during the trade period and we adjusted our offer holding off as long as possible given the higher price we were required to pay. This has no impact going forward at all as we followed through our commitment to Shiel to pay fair MV to get him.

10 Likes

if GWS had demanded a reasonable trade for Scully there would have been more room for negotiation with Shiel. Smells a lot like McCartney getting revenge for Stringer. We had a good relationship with GWS until now.

3 Likes

We got our man and our list is in great shape so we shouldn’t have to trade too much over the next few years hopefully.

This article definitely reeks of sour grapes by McCartney losing some of his best players for unknown draft picks. Ps thanks for Jakey.
I wouldn’t be surprised if that parasite Barrett had his beak somehow involved in this article also.

Top 4 next year. Can you imagine how much they’ll hate us then?

Dodoro did a disgusting thing by finding a middle ground so neither @Laverde2Langford nor myself were right with shiel’s trade value.

2 Likes

You serious? You saw gws put bombers in their naughty book? It’s not like it went down to arbitration a la caddy.
GWS got overs, we got our man. They’re happy, we’re happy. So happy together.

Jason McCartney is the 3 wheeled Reliant Robin to Dodoro’s Mr Bean Mini. Every time Dodoro wants to go somewhere or get something, that clown gets in his way, and rolls.

10 Likes