#9 Dylan Shiel (Part 1)

Very balanced response by Shiel.

Cue 30 touches and improved kicking

Nah. The GWS side of things will give them a segway so that they donā€™t have to think about Essendon too much.

Yep. Has been good. Has really added something to our penetration forward. Not sure if people are subconsciously waiting for an absolutely dominating performance where he gives some midfield an absolute lesson to confirm all their dreams but you canā€™t knock the guy too much so far.

But yes. Iā€™m also looking forward to that thing I just mentioned.

Agree.

I think he took a little bit more care with the response. Slowed it down and didnā€™t rush. Giving responses at high speeds is probably one of the hardest skills in interviews to do effectively. He hasnā€™t been replying in an effective manner in the last few weeks. But itā€™s not like he has forgotten how to talk. Heā€™s certainly done enough answers as a kid and growing up and through his career to know how to respond correctly. Itā€™s probably more of a mental thing, just taking a little bit more care and acknowledging the pressure in the studio and trying to be a little bit more calm with the words.

Iā€™m sure Dylan is due for an excellent interview anytime soon. I just hope the boys get around him when he nails it.

10 Likes

canā€™t wait till nails his first goal

2 Likes

No doubt his kicking is letting him down a bit but maybe we donā€™t need to transmit a mayday call and adopt the brace position for impact.
In terms of average number of effective disposals per game he is running at around 20 per game, which is about the same as Oā€™Meara, Bontempelli, Oliver, Ross and better than Dangerfield, Duncan, Sidebottom, Coniglio and Brayshaw.
The absolute best midfielder on this indicator is Lachie Neale with 27, daylight to Treloar at 24, with Pendlebury at 22 and Josh Kelly at about 21.

This criticism he has been getting is probably a bit unfair, especially considering how many ā€œstar midsā€ of the competition are worse on this metric, but then he did draw attention to himself by changing clubs.

We needed a clearance player.

Shiel is equal 6th in center clearances, and top 20 in total clearances. The other numbers donā€™t worry me too much. He is doing exactly what we traded him in for.

8 Likes

Will kick his first goal today.

1 Like

Seriously, hit the scoreboard Dylan.

1 Like

Stop handballing it.

1 Like

If he banged through that goal in the fourth quarter it was GAME ON. Touched on the fkn line.

7 Likes

Hepp has to do better there. Stringer wouldnā€™t even let his mother touch the ball on the goal line.

9 Likes

One of the few blokes that gives a damn out there. Easily in our top 3 best again today

9 Likes

Was disappointed in him today. Not that he played bad, but his reaction to the criticism of his kicking was to not kick the ball. First half 3 kicks 12 handballs. Wouldnā€™t surprise me if something was said to him at HT because after that he went 8k 10hb, which is a more normal stat line. Youā€™d expect a 1:1 kick:handball ratio or thereabouts, but it was clear he was hesitant to put boot to ball.

Advice Dylan is ā– ā– ā– ā–  the media. You play your game, which was plenty good enough Anzac Day.

2 Likes

Heā€™s definitely doing the job we brought him in for.

Would be good if some of his teammates could hold up their end of the deal.

3 Likes

How long before this guy is essingtoned?

I may have gone a bit early on that oneā€¦ would not have objected to receiving a ā€œsit down, idiotā€ response.

5 Likes

Handballed a lot yesterday.

Said that he would maybe do so during the week