#9 Dylan Shiel (Part 1)

Look, the kid is good, but he’s no McGrath.

3 Likes

You are hyping him more than I hype my boy Langford :grinning:

He better deliver

You mean Pidge? Oh yeah.
Hopefully, he’ll carry Langford along with him.

5 Likes

Don’t you worry about Langers.

He’s got this!

2 Likes

Ok, I’ll need to explain my position in more detail…

When Shiel declared his want to move to Essendon I was through the roof excited, like the rest of us. I still am because he will add to the midfield, an area of weakness.

After the initial viewing of his highlights, I thought I’d spend (lots of) time watching GWS games, particularly the ones with high possession counts.

Now, unlike his highlights, he didn’t really stand out. More an accumulator (one who doesn’t break the 30+ possession barrier - x5 in 2018 - all that much), which (let me be clear) is not a criticism… just what I noticed. Additionally, he’d be in the thick of it but didn’t seem to attack the ball or player (tackle) a lot. More waiting for the ball to spill (which could say more about his role last year. Not sure). Of course, there’s his breakaway speed and ability to hit F50 targets on the lead + dob big goals on the run, so I haven’t ignored those impressive features.

At the end of the day the club thought highly enough of the bloke that he is now the highest paid player on the list with the longest term contract ever given to an Essendon player. Which (sounds like I’m about to contradict myself, but I’m just stating facts) screams every day of the week, 2 first rounders. I just happen to see it (marginally) differently. A point of discussion (yes, I know it’s been talked about before).

But let me make this clear. I’m wrapt Shiel is playing for Essendon. He will add another dynamic to the group. The younger guys are benefiting from his professionalism on the track. Like Smith, Shiel has come from a successful organisation which helps improve standards across the board. I await with anticipation, to see what (the $800K, 7 year, 1 1/2 first rounders… sarcasm, incase you didn’t notice) Shiel brings to the table and, believe it or not, I Will be happy.

1 Like

Isn’t ATE the guy who spent months campaigning for Sheedy to go in 07 and then when he was moved on cracked the sads and ranted and raved as if it was the worst and most unfair decision in the history of the football club. He’s not what you’d call level headed

Yep, that’s me too. The place felt stale, in need of change. Then I learnt P Jackson was holding the purse strings so tight that Windy Hill fast became the worst resourced club in the land, not to mention Jackson’s reluctance to fork out money for top quality players Sheeds wanted. When I found out Sheeds was effectively coaching with 1 hand behind his back I changed my position.

That was a pretty level-headed response up there ^^^

Yeah it only took ten years and bears no resemblance to the actual reaction

1 Like

I thought dodoro was using the GWS cap situation to lowball them on shiel with a first rounder. They said we’re going to wait for a better offer then proceeded to remove the requirement for their cap space constraints meaning that they could keep Shiel if it fell through. Thus forcing Dodoro to meet their demands, roll in some final argy bargy on the second pick back and we have a late deal.

1 Like

What are your thoughts on Parish?

Hurley is paid more than Shiel.

Edit - the same amount now, but his contact was front ended.

No he’s not.

2 first drafts is fact, but there not 2 top 5 picks.

Intellectually dishonest, revisionist, negative…

It’s only a 6 year contract

2 Likes

Was training at Trevor Barker yesterday with Choco Williams and 3 mates. The guy is a best, while others are holidays, he’s doing full ground drills at high intensity while getting roared at by Choco. Training was just based around Dylan, repeat efforts gut running finishing with a goal.

Has had the the perfect preparation, calling it early but expect him to be hanging with Charlie at years end.

24 Likes

He is seriously motivated to play well.

He will notice a massive difference between 20 blokes flapping their orange togas in silence behind the goals to a pro Essendon crowd of 40,000 at the G roaring when he gets the ball, breaks away from a stoppage and kicks a 65 metre goal.

7 Likes

Seems to have his head together and wants to be successful. Sure, lots do, but not everyone puts in what is required. He’s been gifted the physical goods (athleticism and good looks) to be successful on and off the field. Having premiership player listed on the CV is going to be very useful. He is doing all that he can to give himself the best chance to achieve that on-field success. That’s great for him, and of course for Essendon to have someone like him at the club and in the team.

One day Blitz will sponsor him and he’ll really really ■■■■ himself.

1 Like