A 4-day working week

well technically the Romans, who took it off the Greeks, who took it off the Babylonians, who based it off lunar cycles

but basing it off the moon is also dumb af

2 Likes

Once upon a time the French had no concept of a weekend. When the weekend off became a thing, the French language purists struggled with a French language name for it. Eventually le weekend entered the vernacular.

Left field thinking, but wouldn’t that stuff with the calendar and everyones birthdays? Might be too much of headache to have an extra day.

Or do you mean dates stay the same and there is 3 1/2 weeks in most months.

I work a 7 day week to keep up with my 5 day week job. A 4 day week will mean they now get 3 days free labour.

1 Like

Yeah, the transition makes it pretty much unworkable.

You’d need the whole world in on it really.

You could still keep the months the same but have to come up with a new “day”

More of a thought experiment if you were designing it from scratch

Part time work i think is a little bit of a con depending on the work involved.

Part timers end up working a lot more keeping up with a full time office if working on the same thing.

Also frustrates a little those trying to work with them.

Can slow projects down to the lowest common denominator(in terms of availaibility) or inevitably put the part time worker under undue stress.

1 Like

depends how much time on blitz.

I know in a half day sometimes get almost as much done as a full day.

Also know boss wouldnt pay for extra day off, but asking for 10% pay rise this year, which will mean can take more time off unpaid, win win.

The manager assigns different jobs, workloads.
It’s a furphy (and sometimes misogynistic) that part timers are a burden on full timers. If the unit is entitled to X numbers of working hours per X numbers of workers, it irons out. For instance two part timers equivalent to one full timer. Flexible working hours also help.

1 Like

I’m assuming the actual business would never close. It’s just employees are staggered on different eight day cycles.
No need for anything to change.

2 Likes

If Technology improves worker productivity by 100%

workers dont benefit, half’of the workers lose their jobs as capitalists cut the workers and make more $$$.

Imagine if workers kept jobs and went from 8 hour days to 4 hour days…and on the same pay would be sweet.

unfortunatley doesnt work like that.

1 Like

I worked three day weeks for years. It ruled.

1 Like

I pretty much already do this unofficially. I don’t do much at all on Fridays as I generally work like a maniac Monday to Thursday to get everything done. Only thing is I can’t really go anywhere on Fridays as I’m still technically working.

1 Like

That’s my fear too if this 4 day week thing takes off. It might not happen for a few years but I can’t see paying people the same would be a long term thing. We live in a capitalist world.

eh not in all circumstances.

As to misogyny and acceptance of women with careers, one of my female rels working in one of the big 4 Banks told her male boss she was pregnant and would be taking maternity leave at a certain time.
He responded that after that, she might need to switch to a job that involved less travel, in order to meet her family duties.
She said ‘Whatever makes you think that having a child could affect my capacity to travel? You have had children in your job involving travel and you’ve never cut back on work travel.’

3 Likes

she must have a supportive spouse.
Like he does.

Already seen how more work needed to be done than people to do it has shifted things.
Maybe it was a passing phase. Maybe not.

Or earning enough to pay for a nanny if immediate or extended family are not available.
Then, there’s child day care…

I’m sure all the old white dude MDS and CEOs out there will jump on board with this in no time.

1 Like

That was the go at AMP in the mid 70s for the 21 months I was there.