A little crispy one Garry - The footy media thread

That’s pretty much my perspective. Although I did grow up watching South Park where every second episode had a joke about ■■■■ probes.

For mine I see a distinction between these two jokes.

1. Your going for your annual check up? Better take some lube!

2. My gay friends look forward to their annual check up, snigger

Both jokes might not meet community or workplace standards and get you fired. However I see joke 2 as clearly several more degrees innapropriate, as it’s homophobic and demeening to the entire gay community.

I have no issue with Hall getting fired, it was innapropriate. But I do feel he is being made out like he said joke no 2, when I feel it’s more joke no 1.

Obviously others have different views and these type of things that’s fine.

2 Likes

A little social experiment:
I asked the two women in the house to write down how they feel about the joke (they’d heard about it, and asked me to play the audio this morning when I said there was a link here), without any influence about how I felt about it.
Neither had given it any thought until I just asked them to do this.

I’m more offended that he could be That stupid to say something like that on radio.
It’s Triple M. I’ve heard worse.
And if he can be sacked on the spot, how does BT still have a job?*
Innapropriate topic, but as a woman I am not offended.

My first thought after hearing what Barry Hall said after all the hype was, ‘Is that it?’
I honestly could not care less that he said it because it wasn’t offensive, it was just mildly disturbing. It wasn’t appropriate to say it on the air of a football show, however in a different setting people wouldn’t bat an eye.
The comment itself is being given way more attention than it deserves as I’ve heard worse from a private school boy and I didn’t see him getting sacked from anywhere.

*please don’t ask what this means. I don’t know and won’t be following up.

I just dont understand what point you’re trying to make here.

I think making a sexual joke about a woman giving birth is a piece of sh\t move. (And I’m very very very liberal with jokes).

Now if you think that it’s actually ok, then why don’t you just come out and say it, rather than relying on the similar views of others as a crutch?

3 Likes

The point I’m making is that not all women think it’s a rape joke.
In fact in this house, it’s zero percent of women.
I guess that it follows that I refute the link between this joke and rape-murder, and I’m far more offended by the suggestion that anyone who is okay with the joke is somehow okay with rape.
That if you don’t call this joke out then you’re a ‘coward.’

I think I’ve already mentioned my thoughts on the joke itself, so if that’s what you’re asking, I’ll refer you to that.

I’d like to take this opportunity to apologise for any offence taken from my commentary on Friday night’s Triple M footy coverage,” Hall said.
“It was a silly thing to say and it is not a reflection of who I am or what my views are.
“I am a proud father and a dedicated partner and have nothing but respect for women.”

Hahaha. Like clockwork.

11 Likes

Makes me angrier reading that tripe.

4 Likes

I asked my partner what she thought and she said it was really gross. Swings and roundabouts.

No, I don’t think there’s a direct link between not condemning the joke and therefore being sympathetic to rapists etc, but it’s just that subtle notion that a woman’s body isn’t in their complete control and that it’s funny when men misuse it.

A woman has fingers inserted in her vagina to assist a birth… not so men can taste the vaginal juices and make jokes about it.

I’m not PC at all but the jokes just ■■■■■■

13 Likes

I missed your view I think. What was it?

PS - I don’t think it’s a rape joke. I think it’s a disrespectful joke. Moreover, The main problem with it, and why really offended, is that it’s a sh/t joke.

1 Like

You didn’t.
Perhaps you were just distracted by my brother-in-law.
Which is understandable.

Edit: And I don’t think anyone thinks the joke is less than gross and insensitive.

Anyone who usually says this, probably isn’t. And I absolutely think its acceptable to make jokes about whatever you want.

1 Like

I heard it as it happened. I now think Mark Howard is one of the worst people in media as he was facilitating/encouraging the discussion when he is supposed to be the media professional.

I have trouble understanding why a pre-game show is chock full of LADS LADS LADS banter instead of discussion about the upcoming game. That’s me though. Some might enjoy it.

If the AFL had any principles (HAHAHAHA) they would be taking a serious look at how their sport is presented through the eyes of people who they claim the game is for in outlets like this. Around 90 seconds of listening to Triple M’s pre-game crap (ie: part of the presentation of footy) ought to be enough for the AFL to tell station management what’s what.

I have gone so sour on that station in the last 12 months. Bill/JB is literally the same joke for 10 hours a week. Molloy/Kennedy is absolutely terrible and I friggin love Jane Kennedy (Mick not so much). The two blokes in the evening are absolute peanuts (and there seems to be no music any more?) and the Alan Jones wannabe on overnights will probably die alone. Burn it all down and forget it was ever there.

8 Likes

And what do you think?

You can either say what you think, or skirt around the edges with your Mark Latham-esque views on women. Up to you I guess

It’s not even a joke. It’s just some weird comment.

1 Like

Again, I have.
And I know you’ve read it, because you’ve replied to it.
So before you say I’m scared to say what I think for a Third time, please, go back to the post you replied to where I’ve done that.

Edit: I skimmed over your Mark Lathamesque views comment, and on reflection I see I’ve been far too polite.
Not least because you ascribe my views a certain way while decrying that I won’t tell you what they are.
And also, on behalf of my wife and daughter who happen to share the same views and you’re therefore equally targeting, go ■■■■ yourself.

So much this.

It’s such a bad reflection on the game. This crap simply feeds the Neanderthal mentality, which should be the point, not a tasteless joke which takes the focus from what is the real problem.

4 Likes

Really, … I don’t know how anyone could think the “Joke” wasn’t sexist?

Doesn’t the scene of a “Man” as a professional doing his job as a Medico, looking upon it as an opportunity to “Lick His fingers” have a) an act with Sexual connotations, aka a “sex act” written all over it?

… … and therefore b), constitute not only treating a Woman as a sex object, but an actual client he was performing a professional medical service for??

And that wouldn’t be an abuse of position and power??

Fk me, … if you don’t not only see that as Sexist, but instantly just KNOW it is, … you are fkn out there.

9 Likes

I’m a South Park guy. I dont think anyone, ever, should be prevented from making jokes about anything.

Pretty much, if a joke is funny, I will allow it under all circumstances.

That joke wasn’t funny

2 Likes

Don’t like mansplaining either.

1 Like

How do you feel about womansplaining?

genuine lol