A little crispy one Garry - The footy media thread

Bias commentary was at the centre of an alarming journo stoush involving Channel 7’s newshound Tom Browne.

The confrontation between Browne and Marc McGowan, from the Age, happened in the Carlton changerooms after the Good Friday clash against North Melbourne.

Bystanders were shocked when Browne approached McGowan over tweets he’d posted regarding Seven’s commentary of the previous night’s Brisbane-Collingwood game.

In particular he’d taken aim at Seven’s No. 1 caller ex-Magpie Brian Taylor.

“Can’t we just watch the game without BT telling us every second minute how close Collingwood is to getting back into this?!” McGowan tweeted.

While we’re sure BT can fight his own battles, it certainly fired up Browne who delivered a Mick Malthouse-type spray.

Eavesdroppers heard words like “bogan” and “idiot” with something along the lines of “who are you?” even thrown in.

More Coverage

Lock, unlikely: Every SuperCoach stud in frame for DPPTrade news: Dees winners, Tigers stand to lose from big dealsCrisp apologises as AFL makes call on sanctions

McGowan didn’t back down, firing back just as strongly, calling Browne a “fool”, before the pair went their separate ways.

Bias is certainly a touchy subject for Browne, one of the best newsbreakers in the business, who works tirelessly to ensure he isn’t

Not much bias there Tom

-employed by Channel 7 so I’ll defend BT who also works for 7 for his bias towards Kkkollingwood
-that’s right Tom’s dad is also president of the Kkkollingwood clan

5 Likes

I love the quote: “(Browne is) one of the best newsbreakers in the business.” Journalists don’t even try to hide their bias nowadays.

2 Likes

The most impressive thing about that is that Tom Browne managed to put a coherent sentence together. Or maybe he didn’t, since he got called a fool in response.

I would pay good money to watch Tom Browne in an actual fight with another journalist.

4 Likes

Picking up the live vs studio debate, it’s got nothing to do with getting the commentators to the grounds. It’s the cost of having and staffing a studio at each venue that stops it from happening. There are 11 main venues these days (WA, SA, Vic x 2, TAS x2, NSW x 2, Canberra, QLD x 2) plus the Darwin’s and Cairbs etc.To have a TV studio set up at each and the 10-20 people to run it would cost a fortune.

“Bogan”
“Idiot”
“Who are you”
“Fool”

Some hardcore stuff right there.
I hope the nearest A&E was on standby.

4 Likes

Why do they need a studio?
They can have people call the game from the ground with little expense and host the coverage from a studio

1 Like

What just turn up and speak into a mobile phone?

How far up there fkn ■■■ are Collingwood people.

Honestly fk off back down to the bottom where you belonged in the 90’s.

4 Likes

Losing grand finals is their natural order. May they come second forever.

1 Like

the unintentional comedy of this sentence being cut off here

6 Likes

is that how radio stations do it

“Who are you”

Is that Browneye trying to exert some sort of superiority? Some sort of nerdy dickmeasuring contest for jumped-up nobodies?

I wouldn’t be surprised if MMM is calling it from their studio in south Melbourne off TV too. You don’t need to be in qld to rattle off their nonsense about McDonald’s scoreboards and Holden stats with the captain snooze best on ground.

Just call Browne a Nepo baby although they are usually young and hot.

nah they’re there. they have local crews in each major city. same with abc

Oh there’s a lot of things I’d like to call him, but unfortunately (fortunately?) he blocked me a fair while ago…

1 Like

I wonder if the likes of Scot Palmer, Alf Brown & Greg Hobbs were as egotistical about their standing in the VFL/AFL media in their heyday and resorting to petty verbal disagreements with other journalists.

Somehow I think not.

1 Like

‘Doesn’t know who he is’

And follows him on Twitter

1 Like