A little crispy one Garry - The footy media thread

16x players suspended, multi-million $ fines, all key personnel involved lost their jobs, 1x bloke banned for life and you reckon Smith, Wilson + others couldn’t admit they were wrong?

Not sure what your point is. Those sanctions should never have happened, and the media people you refer to knew it and kept quiet (or worse) for their own benefit. If in fact they didn’t know it, then they were completely incompetent.

4 Likes

Lol don’t forget Diggers barracks for the Swans

3 Likes

And either didn’t read any saga thread, hence clearly doesn’t know what actually happened, … or is just bored and trolling.

2 Likes

People are particularly harsh on Whateley because they know, or rightly or wrongly believe, that he had the analytical mind to see the truth.
Unburdened by Wilson’s pathetic grudge over Knights (and Bev Knight, and other issues going back to Sheedy), Smith’s disconnected foolishness, Robinson’s passionate buffoonery, he should have been Holmes but with industry clout.

The moment his team chanced upon a devastating blow, one that should have not just ended the saga but turned its focus fairly and squarely on the accusers…he shat his pants.

That was the moment he resigned as a journalist, and became just another media commentator.

So…eh…SEN is the best place for him.

19 Likes

I always wondered what the the "Diggers is Stuuuupid " thread was all about, now I fully understand.

3 Likes

This is what I’m trying to understand.

AFL360 are the first to run the story about AOD not being banned. Both Whateley are Slobbo are scathing on the AFL, how could they allow this circus if they knew that, what does this mean for Watson, etc etc. it was great.

Then 24 hours later the narrative completely changes due to the Sarah call.

What are people being critical of Whateley for? Is is because he didn’t continue to prosecute the case, or also got caught up in the Sarah hype? Many in here are saying that “he knew”. What did he know, and how do we know that he knew it? Why are we saying that he shat his pants?

I’m sounding like a smart@ss here but it’s a genuine question. After everyone posting in here about it all day I’m still no closer to understanding what the answer is.

And I do really want to know, because I need to know if I should be hating on this guy or not! At the moment for me he wouldn’t even be on my list of saga hatees (and its a farking long long list).

Fark him and the horse he rode in on.

SEN is ■■■■, never listened to it, never will

1 Like

I think you’ve answered your own question. Do you think that Eddie was the only one who received a call?

It’s late.
And I’ve had a very merry time.
But I understand what you’re saying, a bit.
And I feel like I’d be repeating myself, but anyway…
Forget Sarah. Sarah should have been irrelevant to him, if he was a journalist.
What was revealed on that night was that not only did ASADA and the AFL (semantics here on the actual prosecutors) not have a case but that they Knew they did not have a case.

Whateley saw that.
And instead of following where the story should have then gone, he squirmed.
And obfuscated.
And wimped the ■■■■ Out.

12 Likes

While I don’t really listen to SEN & not fussed who they hire, I personally don’t give a rats what Whateley may or may not have known to be true re the saga. What I can’t get past with Whateley was his interviews with Hird & Heppell over the saga.

The line where he said “not guilt is not the same as innocent” when interviewing Hird was poor IMO. Merely semantics, the result is the same.

When he interviewed Heppell after the CAS judgement, knowing full well that Heppell would be a regular on Thursday nights on 360, to add “there’s some inaccuracies in his version” after Heppell had left the studio reminded me of that weasely kid who’d be standing in the ring of the two kids having a blue and when one was defeated on the ground would take a little dig as he departed the scene. It was weak and he lacked the courage to address those “inaccuracies” with Heppell directly at a later date on the show.

In addition, his interviewing of Prismall was clearly agenda driven. Leading questions with only one real answer which played on the emotions of an emotionally fragile (at that time) person. I really felt for Prismall during that interview.

Was Whateley alone in all this? Fk no. But he didn’t need to take the roads he took in those instances IMO.

27 Likes

If you think the Whately appointment is bad, there are a number of other ex newspaper writers out there looking for radio spots.
Already, RoCo is hosting a program on SEN. Be sure others will follow, perhaps just as a guest on Whately’s program, but maybe eventually with their own time slot.

The chairs are being moved around as we speak on most of the Radio and TV footy programs. Get ready for the announcements

Basil big nose Zempilas made the cringeworthy call of the year at the Hopman cup interviewing Roger Federer. You’re from Basel, my name is Basel.
How do these idiots get jobs?
And Gerard Whateley? Spare me.

6 Likes

Don’t mind Sydney.

1 Like

RoCo is terrific on the radio. His deviations into pop-culture don’t detract from his primary role of keen AFL observer. Like his style.

5 Likes

Yes he is OK, but if a certain other female ex Age writer goes onto SEN, I will never listen to SEN again.

2 Likes

Thought she did a bit for 3aw? Either way you get the impression she and C Hutchison don’t always see eye to eye on things based on that tv show however, Hutchison seems to know what people like and may put any personal dislike to one side if it means ratings for his emerging media empire.

I always enjoyed the Tim and Radar show in the morning. They were genuinely having a good time and I would often be laughing on the way to work. Good stuff.

The morning show last year was dour. They didn’t want to be there, they were barely awake and often I would switch over to a podcast or something once i’d heard ‘the agenda’ of the day. That prat Sam McClure just spreads rumours and is a mini hutchy who is trying to make a name for himself.

SEN isn’t for everyone but I would like to have a good SEN so I can have something good to listen to when I want to listen to sport stuff. This new line up simply has no joy in it.

3 Likes

RoCo is on right now.