A suggestion to help umpires avoid distance errors

As background to what I’m about to say, the word “mark” comes from the original action of marking the ground at the point where a player caught the ball. He “marked” the spot.

Looking at this issue realistically, the rule now reads something like this:

“When a player kicks the ball and it travels 15 metres and is caught by another player before it touches the ground, this will be called a mark and the player who catches the ball will be entitled to take an unimpeded kick from the spot on the ground where he caught the ball.”

But in practicality the rule is this:

“When a player kicks the ball and the umpire deems it has traveled 15 metres…”

There is a big difference. You can’t help but wonder why they made up a rule in the first place that was based on something that could not possibly be measured accurately in the flow of a game.

So, let’s think outside the box in looking for a solution.

50 metre penalties can be pretty much measured out accurately. The umpire knows where the infringement occurred, if there were 15m arcs on the ground, as I suggested, he would get it spot on.

But as for marks and players running with the ball? Don’t be outraged by what I am about to say. We’re brainstorming, here. :laughing:

Change the rules.

1. Any kick that is caught by another player, regardless of distance, is a mark.

2. A player doesn’t have to bounce the ball or dispose of it after 15 metres. He can run as far as he likes. (Like in rugby league).

I know, I know, I know, this would radically change the game as we know it. But, at least, it wouldn’t be marred by the misjudgement of distance by umpires!

And everybody would know exactly what is going on, without the current frustration or confusion.

And it could be fun!! :grinning:

I love the bounce, a great skill.
Also makes run down tackles more likely, which I also love

I know it would change the game dramatically, and I agree the bounce is a great skill! But, hey, it could bring in other exciting skills that we don’t see now. Btw Billy Slater was fun to watch. :wink:

I’m definitely NOT a rugby fan but boy, oh boy, I LOVED Billy! And this is relevant to our discussion.

I also loved Andy Lovett slicing through traffic whilst bouncing on either hand :wink:

1 Like

Sure, Hep, me too.

But I also think it would give me a massive buzz if, say, Marty Gleeson grabbed the ball in the back pocket and ran the length of the ground, slicing through traffic and kicked a goal. Or McKenna, or Smithy or anyone…even if they didn’t bounce it! :star_struck: :star_struck: :star_struck:

OPTICS ARE ALL IMPORTANT TO THE AFL. It won’t happen and its too sensible.

May need to un-gurge the thread given the number not 15m calls given yesterday where you think “mmm… is that correct?”