Adam Goodes Documentary

But it does if Goodes was of the genuine opinion that it was racist in nature.

Great post. Thanks for sharing a very sad story.
Bad enough people treat adults in that way, but kids, kids should be allowed to be kids.

5 Likes

It can’t. If I do something, anything, for a particular reason, your feelings about it, can’t change my intent nor motivation.

I think the point that people are missing is that even if the intent wasn’t racist, Goodes experienced for himself that it was racist. It’s how HE felt about it.

edit: He didnt understand that 99% was about him being a flog, but he heard it 100% as for him being aboriginal.

4 Likes

From a personal viewpoint I’m a massive fan of not being a sniping, diving, cheating squib. Combine that with having a seismic distaste of Sydney, hating goodes was just too difficult to ignore.

I dislike him on a cellular level. I don’t care if he’s green.

He’s a ■■■■.

4 Likes

That’s worth booing about in itself.

1 Like

The two most poignant paragraphs I’ve read in the whole thread. Well said.

6 Likes

perhaps you don’t realise what your saying is racist. Perhaps you don’t know the history.

So when he says “Hey, to me that feels like it has racially driven” we should listen.
Especially when seeing a) we are not Indigenous b) our reaction was to boo more c) we should be trying our very best to mend the past and make this relationship harmonious.

3 Likes

You’re are missing the point in a big way.
Goodes was giving back what he thought he was getting.
He was objecting to antagonism based on race, yet he was giving the same thing back when he did his war dance.
War dances might be celebrated in Maori and indigenous culture, but in European culture they signify an aggressive, belligerent attitude.
Was he interested in reconciliation, or not?

3 Likes

uh oh you’re gonna cop it now

I get your point but you are giving way too much credit to the crowd that they were just booing.

Of coarse he saw the booing as racial.
from his first memories he was racially taunted.
From his first game of football he was racially taunted. Every single game.

He was driven to point where he had to make a stand and he did.

And how dare we judge him for that.

I’m sorry if an imaginary spear hurt your feelings but in the same breath you can brush aside 30 years of racism aimed at Adam.

And just a history lesson. New Zealand was a European settlement. They just handled the issue a whole lot better than us.

3 Likes

We should pick up Adam Goodes in the mid season draft

1 Like

It seems only white people are racist

3 Likes

There are 273 posts in this thread???!!

1. Some people booed him throughout his career because he was a sniper who played for free kicks. This is GOOD BOOING.

2. However the booing of him greatly intensified after he called out that girl in the crowd and did the war dance thing. This is BAD BOOING.

Move on you turkeys, geeesh

Wait… so Michael Long has been walking about booing this whole time?

Thank you so much for sharing that story, benfti. People criticising him for taking the stand he did really should think about the Australia he grew up in, pull thier heads in and show a bit of empathy.

3 Likes

My favourite Goodes moment is still him missing that set shot after the siren to lose the game for his team.

5 Likes

What is it about this statement that is racist?
“If I do something, anything, for a particular reason, your feelings about it, can’t change my intent nor motivation.”

True enough, and your point is completely valid. I think, however that if you continue to do said thing after I have told you it makes me feel…belittled, villified, worthless…it then becomes a different story.

5 Likes

l thought the war dance was awesome, a word that l rarely use since it has become so devalued. I wish that the Ozzie rugby team, among others, would adopt it and use it when they next face the Allblacks, as the Haka is designed to intimidate, and no one else seems to have any idea on how to respond to it.

l would like to see Tippa do a war dance after kicking a BIG goal in the Dreamtime game. I would like plenty of other Essendon players to do the same thing, so that the war dance becomes something greater, a celebration of success. In other words l want the war dance to be owned, if it is okay to share it.

Goodes was a player giving back to the crowd a little something, after copping way more coming over the fence at him. l never got to see Goodes play in a game, but wouldn’t have booed him. l saw him snipe, l saw a whole lot of staging for frees, he was good enough not to need to do that. Giving him those frees was the fault of the chumps, whom l have booed roundly over the years.

1 Like