Adam Goodes Documentary

by only collingwood fans ?
obviously they are a different breed of human.
doesn’t make it right sure, but did every other club boo him ?

edit also do you think pendlebury is going to get boo’d the next time we play collingwood ?
his worst wrong doing to us is a negligent act by another person who he gets the blame for being a ducker…

Newsflash: Footy supporters boo opposition player. More news at 10

Have to say this response was quite insightful imo. And is one of the few times that something posted here has actually influenced my thinking

3 Likes

:roll_eyes:

It seems to me that there is a lot of absolutist crap being posted in this thread. I’m sorry, but just because a person thinks something is racist does not make it racist. My staring at two young indigenous girls bashing on the side of the bus at Bondi and swearing at everyone on the bus had nothing to do with racism and everything to do with observing bratish, offensive behaviour, much as I would stare at white idiots doing the same thing. Is my staring at them racist because they are black? Is it racist because they think my staring at them is racist? If so, the PC brigade has lost the plot. Calling a black man a Gorilla is only ever a racist taunt, full stop. Should never be done. Offensive, racist and seriously shows a lack of intellect. A 13 year old girl has limited capacity to understand what her comment means. In her case she needs education not public vilification. If a grown man or woman used that term, like Fat Eddie, then they deserve everything they get.

Adam Goodes is one of the greatest footballers this country has ever seen. He could play every position on the ground and excelled at every position he played. He is a great ambassador for indigenous rights and should be proud of what he has and continues to achieve by bringing to light racism and its impact on the indigenous in this country. Those that booed him for racist reasons should be ashamed of themselves. Racism should never be tolerated and Goodes was right in bringing it to the attention of everyone, much as Nicky Winmar and Michael Long did. It takes courage to do what he did and every Indigenous person in this country should call out racism whenever it occurs.

Now the flip side. Don’t tell all football supporters they are racist because they booed Adam Goodes. Undoubtedly some of them were. Just as it is correct to say many were not. Was the West Coast crowd racist when they booed Jobe Watson, or were they displaying their disapproval for what they perceived he had done? More importantly. you tell a group of people not to do something and guess what? They are just as likely to do it more as an act of defiance. Of course the booing got worse, because many of the people that booed Goodes for what they perceived to be cheating, were suddenly being told that their booing was in fact racist when for them, it had nothing to do with racism, and everything to do with someone trying to cheat their ‘tribe’. Of course they did the one thing they thought they could do, they booed more. Not because Goodes represented the Indigenous community but because Goodes represented the “Man” trying to tell people what they could and couldn’t do and what they could and couldn’t think.

Is there still racism in this country, of course there is. I was shocked when I moved to WA back in the early 90’s at just how overt it was over here towards the indigenous. It was almost impossible to have a conversation with a group of people larger than about 5 without someone expressing something negative about the local indigenous population. I have to say I never really encountered it in Melbourne towards the indigenous, possibly due to the small size of the indigenous population as a percentage of the overall population there, but definitely towards the Greeks, Italians, Vietnamese and insert next ethnic group that start to arrive in substantial numbers such as Sudanese.

We need to be careful what we label racist. If you falsely accuse someone of being racist when they are not being racist, there is every chance that you actually push them towards being racist, that whole act of defiance thing. If you want the perfect example of this, look no further than the States and Trump supporters. The more you tell them they are wrong, the more they dig in. You are actually reinforcing their opinions rather than changing them. No-one like being told they are wrong, and people like it even less if you do it publicly and embarrass them at the same time. We need to educate the community about the issues surrounding racism, not only against the indigenous but against all the other ethnic groups that suffer the same hateful attitudes. The best place to do this is through the school system, especially at the primary school level where you have the greatest chance of shaping a persons future opinions because they have yet to truly coalesce into unshakeable beliefs. Absolutism is not the answer. While the subject matter may be black and white, the solution is many shades of grey.

27 Likes

Well-written, LB.

Has anyone actually seen the Goodes Documentary?

I was interested in seeing the Goodes Documentary, but since I am yet to be able to, I have decided as follows:

I enjoy going to the footy to watch our team, but I have very little opportunity to express disagreement with anything. Booing is really the only option. The alternative is to not go to matches. But why would I do that unless I just didn’t enjoy footy anymore.

So if I don’t like something: the umpiring or a dog act by a player, I will even boo “champions of the game” if I want to express disapproval.

So my reaction to the Adam Goodes controversy is that I will not boo any person from a racial or religious minority, not that I ever did in the past.

1 Like

Individually booing someone/anyone is almost an AFL tradition. Great players get booed because they are great!! Goodes had been sporadically booed in the past because of his football. I booed him like I booed Roschiutto, Lockett, Kelly, Koutafidis, Matthews, Brereton.

But then things changed.

Prolonged universal Booing of Goodes started after he called out the young Collingwood girls’ racist comments, his Aust of the year invasion day comments, and his war dance after a goal during indigenous round. He was perfectly within his rights, and correct, on each occasion,
His end of career booing was 1000% racist because he stood up and challenged white social norms. And you can’t allow a black fella to do that. He has to know his place. And he had to be put back in his place. I hope he is remembered as someone who fought for his people and culture and himself, and tried to address blatant wrongs, and then remembered as a great footballer.
Just like Michael Long is. What Longy did regards the Monkhurst incident is far more important than his showing us his glorious football skills.

5 Likes

Haven’t read any of the threat bar the first post…
But I would like to know how booing someone for staging for free kicks had turned to Racist!!

1 Like

Interesting that the AFL’s TV station isn’t airing this. Ten, who otherwise have zero footy shows nowadays, have it.

Genius.

In the Goodes case, Booing has to be in context.
Booing for free kicks staging is fine, but
Booing Goodes every time he was on the big screen or obtained a possession AFTER his Collingwood girl call out, Aust Of The Year comments and his goal dance changed the context completely.
Thousands upon thousands booing in unison every week were not booing his free kick staging.

4 Likes

this is a viewpoint we’ve never, ever discussed here. you are a ground breaker. well done.

2 Likes

Oh man this thread;

Boo cos you’re racist.
Boo cos i’m racist.
Indigenous free kicks are racist.
Racist cos you boo.
I’m not booing.
I’m booing my free kicks.
I’m staging for boos.
My right to boo is from years of being a free kick.
You’re right to boo is from years of staging.
you’re a free kick, but you’re not staging for one.
I’m not racist.
You’re booing cos you don’t like him.
I’m booing cos of his play.
I’m booing cos you’re racist.
I’m racist cos I don’t like him.
You’ve never liked booing fro free kicks, it’s your right.
I’ve booed, but not at the footy.
I boo for free kicks.
I’m racist against free kicks.
I’m booing at staging.
I’m a non-indigenous free kick.
I booed a free kick, it’s my right as stager.
I don’t like him, but it’s not cos he’s a free kick.
You like me cos I’m a boo.
I’m staging at being racist.
Free kicks are racist.
You’re staging cos you’re booing.
You’re free kicks are racist.
I’m indigenous cos I boo.
My booing is free kick related.
I’m allowed to free kick.
You’re allowed to boo.
i’m a racist 1000%
you’re a free kick.
you’re not a free kick cos Im booing.
I’m booing cos I can’t stage.
I’m booing for staging
I’m staging for booing
I saw a free kick booing a 13 year old.
I’m a free kick.
I’m a racist free kick.
You’re a racist, not a free kick.
You’re free kick has staged for booing.
I free kick.
You free kick.
We all free kick, it’s our right.
My booing is cos my free kick is indigenous.
I boo all non indigenous free kicks as well.
But not because they’re staging.
YOU’RE the booing free kick, not the rest of the crowd.

3 Likes

I’m really looking forward to the documentary. I can remember the timeline very well, and want to see how much they try to manipulate it.

Can anybody remember when he slid into a player with his knees up on purpose? I am trying to remember who it was against. It was a few years before ‘Ape Gate’, and really surprised me at the time. I think he actually did it again that same year.

I was 6 when he got drafted and that was when I first started really following football, and he was one of my favourite players. I can’t farking stand him now.

Essendon supporters had been booing him well before this crap arose because he was a thug.

5 Likes

You know you’re in trouble trying to discuss racism when people don’t know the difference between a race, a sub-species and a species.

I haven’t watched the film. I’m always reticent to join these conversations because of the lack of nuance. You can’t simply say the booing was racist or the booing was not racist. People have different motivations, and even within the one person there are multiple threads. My response was not to boo because it might have been perceived by Adam to be racist. I don’t like many of the things he did, but booing’s a dumb way to express that. If I felt really strongly I’d write him a letter. At least that way you get to use your words.

1 Like

Is that the ancient way of communicating, you know, where you wrote words on paper (lol) and put it in, what was it called? an envelope (lol) put a coloured sticker on it and then put it in a metal box in the street and some bloke pulled up in a truck and collected it ( lol) only for it to finally reach its destination, maybe 5-7 days later (lol) ?

I heard that there were thousands of people riding around on bicycles delivering these “letters” when they could have been doing something useful for a living, like being an instagram influencer, or being an arbitrageur on the cryptocurrency market.

1 Like