Adrian Dodoro - Flankers into Mids since 2000 (Part 1)

I know. You cant help anyone…

That would be development then?
I’m no fan of Dodoro but ■■■■ like today isn’t on him. Our midfield is good, our defence should have been strong enough with Francis, Hurley, Saad and McKenna.
There was no structure, no game plan, nothing.

1 Like

Man reflects quietly with himself upon great achievement? Not sure what your point is

“This thing says…SENIOR COACH…saaay waaat? When did that happen?”

1 Like

Of course development has to be a part BUT we have at least made numerous changes to the development areas in an attempt to rectify the issue. We have not changed Dodoro for 22 years. How can anyone possibly suggest that keeping ANYONE for that amount of time given the results the club have had? Again - we know the club was shyteful from head to toe & so how can anyone actually mount a case to suggest Dodoro was the exception?

1 Like

The talent is there. On paper we are a good team.

It is on the coaching department and fitness department to maximise the lists potential and get the best out of the team as a whole which they have been unable to do for around 19 years now.

Disco can get all the elite level talent through the door that he likes, the coaching department has proven time and again that their ineptitude to formulate a cohesive and winning game plan will make any players talent irrelevant.

2 Likes

For all the BS Dodoro cops for drafting flankers instead of midfielders, the one time he does draft a genuine midfielder, Parish, the coaches then spend 3/4 years playing him off the flanks

8 Likes

Are we really or are we simply getting sucked into the hope that we are a good team? Myers, Guelfi, Baguley, Ambrose, Brown & McKernan are all very limited players who would struggle to have gotten a rnd 1 game at most other clubs. I’d add that Langford & McGrath would not have earned as much midfield time as we give them at most other clubs given their performances to date. Coniglio just played a better midfield game than any Bomber mid has produced since Jobe 2012 & he’s probably their 3rd best mid FFS.

Again, we’ve changed just about every other facet of the club so how can anyone honestly tell themselves Dodoro was the only thing we were doing right?

4 Likes

I should have said, when healthy.

You add a fit Daniher and Hooker and we are a great team on paper but that has been our problem for years. We’ve had talent and yet absolutely f-all grit and effort.

The players you have listed above, I agree a very limited. I personally don’t have Myers, Baguley, McKernan and most definitely not Ambrose in my best 22.

But judging our list based purely off talent. We are up there with other sides.

But we could have a team full of All-Australians and this coaching staff would still see to it that they got rolled by a VFL side.

“yet we made finals”

and got flogged by 74 points

All teams have a couple of journeymen who aren’t exactly the greatest, Melbourne has Frost in their defence ffs, GWS have that spud O’Keefe… Oh wait.

1 Like

lol dont feel sorry for him. it gave him an extra few years grace period where he was lauded for being a genius for working with limited draft picks, few of whom (i said FEW not NONE) ended up being AFL standard players.

■■■ we are not a ‘great team on paper’ ever. just give up this thought. we havent looked like being a top 4 team for ■■■■■■■ ever

2 Likes

i have never seen wind kick a goal or a great team on paper kick a goal just saying!

Scott Wynd kicked 31 goals in his career. CheckMate.

1 Like

We’ve been “good on paper” for decades. Hence we’re a laughing stock because everyone knows EFC supporters overrate their list. Every year.

7 Likes

Its funny because even though there was some hype over summer, I can’t say I heard or read any of the commentators in the week leading into round 1 say they thought we were a lock for the 8 let alone a genuine flag threat. Who decides what good on paper actually is? Yep we won a few good games in the second half of last year but ultimately couldn’t beat sides like Hawthorn, Richmond or Collingwood to secure a finals birth so it was futile. Stkilda had similar hype leading into 2018 & crashed because its one thing to hunt targets with bigger concerns on their agenda. Its a completely different prospect to be hunted or at the very least respected & planned for.

4 Likes

obviously most have different definitions of ‘good’ then.

On what planet is not being close to winning a final, over years and years - give you license to call yourself ‘good’ by any definition? pure delusion.

As I have said for a long time now, clubs need to be careful as equalisation has largely worked, so clubs are going to be sitting in the mid/lower table thinking all is fine but in actual fact are going absolutely nowhere.

It is us in a nutshell. We put in a decent performance, all of a sudden we are a bunch of superstars. We totally overrate all facets of a club - a club turning into a laughing stock.

3 Likes

I’m tired of drafting “quality people”

I want angry ■■■■■ who’ll do anything to win

10 Likes

Argument 1
A few people here have said things along the lines of that no finals’ wins since 2014 is proof that he is a failure, or that he is the only thing unchanged in that period. There is no logic to this argument. Any system which is predicated on inputs from multiple sources to get a single result can have one quality input, but still not achieve its objectives if other inputs are faulty or not good enough. Stating hat we have not won a final and therefore Dodoro must be rubbish is simply an opinion.

It also ignores that Doc Reid has also been a constant, while the recruiting department has had changes.

Argument 2
I’ve also seen a few people call out individual players, or some youngsters, and say they’re proof that the list is poor. Sometimes this ignores that they were in the side due to injuries (for example McKernan and Ambrose for JD and Hooker), and it definitely ignores that all sides have weaknesses.

Have a look at last year’s premiership side, WCE. Then have a look at the stats for those players. WCE had guys like Hutchings, Vernerables, Rioli, Vardy, Sheed and Duggan in its winning premiership side, who to date have been of limited impact. We crucify anyone getting 22 or less possessions in our midfield, or who dispose of it like Hutchings, yet WCE won a premiership with them. Rioli barely touches it more or kicks more goals than Green, yet Green was whacked week after week. Venables averaged 10 possessions - how would we treat Parish if he did that (he’s actually averaged over 20 possessions since his first year)?

The problem is we are less than the sum of our parts, but to do well in football you need to be more than the sum of our parts. That is down to coaching.

Pretty biased argument given the 2017 and 2018 drafts were a bit of a write-off due to getting in Shiel, Smith, Stringer and Saad. You wouldn’t really expect too much from those drafts to date (although many think Guelfi looks promising, possibly Mynott too).

Looking at the previous two drafts, from 2016 McGrath, Ridley and Begley all look good, and Clarke dominated the first half of the VFL last year. From 2015 Francis, Redman and Parish look promising while the mature picks have arguably done well (Walla) to decent (Brown, Hartley).

What exactly do you expect from those drafts given our picks and how early it is?

7 Likes