Adrian Dodoro - Flankers into Mids since 2000 (Part 1)

PASS

Remember when he had that good trade period.

Oh he can trade for sure. Especially because you see the talent that other clubs have already developed.

Drafting though, he needs to be removed from the process completely.

Next step after that is to waterboard everyone involved with player development at the club.

Not because it will change anything but because it would be good for them to understand how supporters have felt for the last 17 years.

1 Like

You are aware that was Keaneā€™s dept for 5 years odd?

Recruiting comes under the list managers role - Keane answered to Dodoro.

Yep, and he did ā€˜ just okā€™ as well.

He had a GREAT trade period.

Then he followed it up with a really POOR one.

Scully dumped off for nothing, just so GWS could put all their pressure back on Dodoro, and make him pay up - and he capitulated.

And in doing so, we have finished our list build this cycle. The list barely ranks in the top 8. Very disappointing IMO.

1 Like

The list has probably a third, maybe 40% of the salary cap on the sidelines (or out there clearly hampered)

JD, Fanta, Hepp, Hurley Zaha, Smith, Hooker, Saad.

Weā€™ve an OK 22 but the depth is being severely questioned. M

1 Like

Exactly even if you believe heā€™s a good recruiter (and I donā€™t) that fact alone suggests he should be moved on. 12 years is more than enough time. Time to try someone new.

1 Like

Looking back over the notes I took when I was a moderately serious draft watcher (2010-13, 2015-16) Iā€™m reasonably confident that in the top 50 picks, even given the limited games I watched, I would have outdrafted EFC. Zerrett is the only one I MAY have missed (about 50-50, he was next on my card as it stood but I hadnā€™t seen enough of Lobb or Dumont to lock him in over them).

I canā€™t 100% say this with confidence. Some of my guys like Mitch Hallahan, Alex Woodward, and Alex Johnson got murdered by injury, some of the recent picks have a long time to go before anythingā€™s decided conclusively, and some blokes who were the subject of difficult calls (Lobb/Dumont as above, Riley Bonner, Rhys Mathieson, Tom Cole, Charlie Curnow, Wayne Milera, Weidemann) I didnā€™t get to see enough of pre-draft so I canā€™t say one way or the other which way I would have jumped.

And in a good year I watched maybe 25 u18 games, and most of this was before there were replays up on youtube so it was ā€˜go to the game live or miss outā€™ and half the time I was watching mostly for father/son kids anyway. Itā€™s a hall of a mess when someone like me is even getting close to the guys who are paid the big bucks.

4 Likes

Let me start by saying that the draft/trade systems in the AFL are an illogical joke.

But you just have to play the game. Exploit the system to the best of your abilitiesā€¦and Dodoro has displayed little capacity to do it.

That means:

• Participate in free agency every year. Play one side of the equation. every. year. Either push out players for nonsensical compensation, or pick up players for nothing more than their salary. I donā€™t think weā€™ve done anything since Leuenberger.
  • Fight to get talent onto our NGAā€¦I donā€™t know if weā€™re doing the best we canā€¦we need to be picking up draftees at discounted values.
  • Turnover rookies regularly. Make a quick decision and move on. No delisting and redrafting.
  • Unless weā€™re being offered something extraordinary, we need to take our first rounder to the draft every year. It is the only pick that holds its value and doesnā€™t get shuffled too far down the draft by free agency compensation and draft discounts.
  • Get involved in pick trades during trade period/on draft day that rort the illogical system. We always seem to be a spectator in this respect.
  • Only bring in big money players via free agency. Donā€™t blow picks on them as well.

Dodoro might be good in some aspects (perhaps the relationship aspects when weā€™re marketing to prospective trade targets? perhaps he is good at identifying key position players?)ā€¦but overall, he is getting outplayed in this system.

2 Likes

This is still a very pertinent point.

Regardless of how good he is / isnā€™t, this stat is undeniable.

This is a results-driven industry, and people get moved on for bad results.

Except this guy.

He gets promoted.

2 Likes

Except it doesnā€™t account for the fact that Dodoro has been the main man in our recruitment & list management since 1998. The ONLY other person in the industry who has a similar tenure is Wells at Geelong. They won 3 flags dozens of finals & have the most amount of All Australian spots won by players heā€™s recruited. Would it surprise anyone to learn Dodoro has the LEAST amount of AA spots even accounting for players we traded in (McPhee) & players who won them at other clubs (Ryder & Pig). The guy is a failure by any measure & the fact that heā€™s still there & we have people still defending & indeed promoting him is endemic of why this club has been the worst performed club of the last 15 years.

3 Likes

Would any other club go after Dodoro as their list manager if we sacked him tomorrow? I doubt it. That says a lot about one of the longest tenured list managers in the league.

Then you would be wrong. He has had offers and turned them down.

1 Like

Sure you have, Adrian.

1 Like

We have 9 former All Australians on the list

Will be very lucky if one of them makes the AA squad this year

Thatā€™s not talent, thatā€™s system.

Itā€™s all with the coaching staff

3 Likes

So clever, brilliant.

wombat

Tell us about these offers then. Which clubs and when?

1 Like

No, you want to throw shade out you donā€™t get a response. Go look it up for yourself wombat.