Adrian Dodoro - Flankers into Mids since 2000 (Part 1)

What devil was drafting Gregory and Van Unen all about?

Well, if Fletcher would ■■■■■■ retire... :D

He earns his money next month. The list is in pretty good shape because our spine is very good and still young. Hooker at 26 is the oldest of the KPP. Issue is around depth in the KPP and speed in the midfield. I suspect that the club decided with the two years trade restrictions we would minimise our picks and build through FA some older players during this period. We would also focus on keeping the list together and rewarding those players who have been through all the crap which I think is fair. To lose really only Paddy and Stewie over that period is pretty impressive. Mass exodus and all in the press!

I can understand all the angst on the Ryder situation but taking it to the tribunal wasn’t the way to go even if we won from a pure commercial perspective it was the best thing to do. Paddy was gone. Dodoro hung out for as much as possible. There was another post from someone saying they had spoke to Emma Quale about the situation and she said that we didn’t play it right. We didn’t target a player in the 15-22 range upfront rather instead going for a top 10 player. Who knows what went on behind close doors but I would have thought either way it was going to be difficult to prise a player out of Port. I think the deal we ended up with was probably better that getting say a Butcher or a fringe midfielder.

Cooney I don’t suspect will be a gun, but will be an impact player and is a smart footballer who can teach our younger guys like Chappy has. I don’t think we have a lot of high football IQ players on our list - guys with inherent football smarts. Players who read the game well and understand situations well. I think of players like Hurley, Hooker Deps Hocking and others. They are good players but don’t always some up situations well and it can cost us in close games. Hurley against Melbourne being a classic case. That is why I think Zerret is going to be a star as you can see he understands the game and reads it well. think someone like Cooney will help in that area and I hope Dodoro recruits guys like that next month.

I think the Ryder negotiations were, from the outside at least, poorly handled. If your attitude is "it's better than nothing" or "it's the best we could do" that's fine. I think there's an argument to be made either way, but I don't think there's an argument to be made that the best option was to be as truculent as possible while simultaneously knowing that we wouldn't hold out in the end.

We could have refused to do the deal presented, faced them down, lost or not at the tribunal, and show we refuse to be bullied, in the hope of people approaching us with an understanding we won't blink in the future.Clubs either come to us with decent deals, or just don't bother targeting our players. We probably would have lost and got nothing, but that's not a just this year thing. It happened last year with the classic "walk to the PSD" threat for an uncontracted. It will happen in the future with "I'll just walk as a free agent next year" for contracted players. Players having leverage doesn't go away when the saga does, unless the rules change.

We could have taken the offer on day 2 or 3 (if the rumours of what we were being offered were true), shown to player managers that we're reasonable to deal with when faced with an ultimatum, and moved on. Not necessarily to do more trades or anything, just to not drag it on unnecessarily. This at least has the potential of player managers thinking of us as reasonable to deal with, and recommending us as a destination to clients. And being an attractive destination will change once the saga goes away.

What we did was, again, talk a big game and spend basically the entire trade period squabbling, then take what was offered early in proceedings anyway. It makes us simultaneously difficult to deal with and ultimately weak, which is basically the worst combination. We still get dudded, but without even building up any goodwill with the player managers, who are the ones advising the players where to go.

We probably got the best possible result out of it (for next year if not long term), but it feels to me like we did it in the worst possible way. As wim said, who is ultimately responsible for the strategy, I don't know.

Connor McKenna is going to be a star.

Whilst i think we got unders for Ryder, a lot of people on here overrate him.

The accepted view is that ruckmen reach their potential at the ages ryder is now approaching.

This is what is disappointing about him leaving now

No doubt he has great potential but never really reached it at EFC.

May be a great deal for Port or may not - time will tell.

Anyway he's gone and is now a complete irrelevance except when the teams play

Connor McKenna is going to be a star.

HYPE

List Management decisions can’t be judged while they happen.

The real proof doesn’t become apparent for a few years down the track.

I think Dodoro did ok this trade period (but certainly nothing better than ok), but we’ll see.

The Ryder trade wasn’t his fault, but we got absolutely shafted on it. No point pretending otherwise.

I think the Ryder negotiations were, from the outside at least, poorly handled. If your attitude is "it's better than nothing" or "it's the best we could do" that's fine. I think there's an argument to be made either way, but I don't think there's an argument to be made that the best option was to be as truculent as possible while simultaneously knowing that we wouldn't hold out in the end.

We could have refused to do the deal presented, faced them down, lost or not at the tribunal, and show we refuse to be bullied, in the hope of people approaching us with an understanding we won't blink in the future.Clubs either come to us with decent deals, or just don't bother targeting our players. We probably would have lost and got nothing, but that's not a just this year thing. It happened last year with the classic "walk to the PSD" threat for an uncontracted. It will happen in the future with "I'll just walk as a free agent next year" for contracted players. Players having leverage doesn't go away when the saga does, unless the rules change.

We could have taken the offer on day 2 or 3 (if the rumours of what we were being offered were true), shown to player managers that we're reasonable to deal with when faced with an ultimatum, and moved on. Not necessarily to do more trades or anything, just to not drag it on unnecessarily. This at least has the potential of player managers thinking of us as reasonable to deal with, and recommending us as a destination to clients. And being an attractive destination will change once the saga goes away.

What we did was, again, talk a big game and spend basically the entire trade period squabbling, then take what was offered early in proceedings anyway. It makes us simultaneously difficult to deal with and ultimately weak, which is basically the worst combination. We still get dudded, but without even building up any goodwill with the player managers, who are the ones advising the players where to go.

We probably got the best possible result out of it (for next year if not long term), but it feels to me like we did it in the worst possible way. As wim said, who is ultimately responsible for the strategy, I don't know.

You might be being generous.

If the Port offer early was first round and O'Shea, was first round and Cooney even evens?

Not that I overly rate O'Shea, but...

Did picking up Gwilt screw that?

Then of the players we wanted to move, we got no offers (apparently apart from a club that wasn't allowed to take more players in).

It seems we now have more players than we have positions.

Is any other club in that situation?

Again, not potshotting Dodoro here, but as a trade period...

Excellent

Good

Satisfactory

Poor

Disastrous

Then of the players we wanted to move, we got no offers (apparently apart from a club that wasn't allowed to take more players in).

It seems we now have more players than we have positions.

Is any other club in that situation?

It's an interesting point. There is a bit more clogging of the list than I would have hoped for. 

It would have been nice to trade some players out rather than our precious draft picks that we have fark all of. But then again, we had to be conscious of the 'Mass exodus' rubbish. I think we let outside pressures affect us, but I don't hold that too much against them. 

But Trade period is supply and demand, just like everything else.  

We pretty much ■■■■■■ on the draft sanctions getting Zerrett, this thread reminded me this was his FIRST YEAR and I'd say in his better games he showed more than Hepp did in his first year (not consistently though)
Absolute ripper pull from that draft, and all we'll be talking about that year over the next decade won't be the bullshit sanctions, it'll be the ■■■■ you to the afl, in fact that's what every goal from Zerrett will be for me, a big ■■■■ you to a big bully beaten.

We pretty much ■■■■■■ on the draft sanctions getting Zerrett, this thread reminded me this was his FIRST YEAR and I'd say in his better games he showed more than Hepp did in his first year (not consistently though)
Absolute ripper pull from that draft, and all we'll be talking about that year over the next decade won't be the bullshit sanctions, it'll be the fark you to the afl, in fact that's what every goal from Zerrett will be for me, a big fark you to a big bully beaten.

Orario will add to that ■■■■ you

I did like Hird’s assessment.

He said we looked to add to the team we have playing now and to do some building towards the future.

We have some really good talent in the positions that are needed to compete at the pointy end of the season.

Feels like we just need to click for four quarters more often than not and we are in for a great season.

Hopefully makes our first 2 live picks count. We’ll them be set. We did great with Zerrett last season. That kid is a 200 gamer!

Reckon we're setting up for a huge crack at FA in 2015 and 2016.

So - which of these in 2015 then? There's only 4 that interest me. 

ADELAIDE
Patrick Dangerfield
Richard Douglas
Taylor Walker

BRISBANE
Jed Adcock
Matthew Leuenberger

CARLTON
Matthew Kreuzer

COLLINGWOOD
Brent Macaffer

ESSENDON
Brent Stanton
Tom Bellchambers

FREMANTLE
Michael Johnson
Paul Duffield

GEELONG
Tom Hawkins
Andrew Mackie
Mathew Stokes
HAWTHORN
Matthew Suckling

MELBOURNE
Colin Garland
Nathan Jones

NORTH MELBOURNE
Andrew Swallow
Robbie Tarrant

PORT ADELAIDE
Robbie Gray
Matthew Lobbe

RICHMOND
Trent Cotchin
Alex Rance

ST KILDA
Sam Gilbert
Jack Steven

WEST COAST
Scott Selwood

Jack Steven. Very good player, won't cost as much as someone like Dangerfield and if we finish around 6th place and win a final we'd look very attractive compared to St. Kilda.

Yep, we did exactly what Hird said we did.

We are playing for next year lads. “Lid off”.

Just need ASADA to ■■■■ off.

Lost a lazy skilled ruckman and gained a hard working “meat and potatoes” style ruckman. Could actually end up evening out.

Brem06 - Michael Johnson is 30 in a couple of days. No guarantee he’ll still be playing when Fletch retires.

Which draft selections had Bomber Thompson’s fingerprints on them?