Adrian Dodoro - Flankers into Mids since 2000 (Part 1)

Oh, Adrian may not know it all but he does know a fair bit. Just misses a few, that’s all

Why are you so obsessed with Dodoro? I’m not talking about him. I’m talking about the way supporters on this forum are disrespectful of the players and club they supposedly support.

I’m gonna take a leap and suggest that what it means is quite the reverse, but is less offensive. There are some types of people that we won’t bring in.

So you reckon Disco has delivered the right players for us have had Premiership success?

There is very few people who would just say something really degrading about a player/official without backing it up in some way. I was using Dodoro just to stir you up.

Many of us have criticised players and officials alike but it’s not “he’s a spud, delist” (Well a few, maybe) but it would be “langford won’t make it, he is too slow and lacks football smarts” or “dodoro has to be on his last chance, for too long we have had a ■■■■ midfield” (the last one is mine)

And even you would have to understand why we are critical at the moment. 13 years since our last finals win and while some may see light at the end of the tunnel, some are skeptical because we’ve been in the tunnel for 15 years and it has just been following someone who is holding a candle.

If anyone’s obsessed its you.

Mate the club has been in a ■■■■ storm for 4 years. We should be thankful we came out of it the way we have. One thing people don’t understand and should no player or managers wanted to deal with the Essendon Football Club. We we’re a laughing stock.
I think we have a good list but they’re not being developed or coached properly.
You can’t recruit or trade if no-one wants to come.

So respect the players, respect the recruiters, ■■■■ the coaches? Got it.

1 Like

No one wanted to deal with dodoro before the scandal.

Anyone want to give us some idea of which player/s they thought Dodoro should have been able to get to Essendon… but he failed to deliver?

1 Like

The last 4 years have been a ■■■■ storm. But we have been average (at best) for about 10 years before then.

Seriously?

When I recruit people at work I most definitely recruit people I think will fit in with the existing team and will even use the phrase, we want to find “company x” people. I have decided not to hire excellent candidates in the past due to perceived team fit.

Yes footy is a little bit different, but really I have no issues with what Catherine has outlined. Its a team sport so you want to bring together 40 people with the best chance of being a good team.

9 Likes

I think player development has improved the past 3-4 years, at a time when the club was in a shitstorm. Zach, Raz, Joey, Darc, Pidge are all under the age of 23 and have broken through as young stars of the AFL. And look at Walla and how he has gone from speculative rookie list pick to cult hero in the space of 2 seasons. There’s more to come from that group. I have no issue with our drafting and player development. That’s only one piece of the jigsaw though. To go to the next level, an 11-13 win team who’s either just in or just out of the 8, to breaking into that top 4, we need to do more. It might only be 2-3 really good trades to elevate us into the conversation. Are we brave enough? Are we prepared to give something up of value to get the pieces we need? I’d rather us try and fail than fail to try…

I employ people. My first priority is the character of the person. Next, are specific skills and traits. It’s a method that has served me well for many years. Most things can be taught, but character is a hard one to change.

5 Likes

any specific industry?

Yep.

4 Likes

I have as well and can agree with you 100%. I have tried to change the soft skills of people and generally find you can make small changes but ultimately people are what they are.
The other key is getting feedback from people you trust who have worked with them before. Football is different in that you can see a potential recruits performance. I have no doubt though that we would be asking a heap of questions about the off field performance from those we can trust.

I don’t hire a lawyer and stick him in the accounting department hoping he will learn it

3 Likes

I’ve had responsibility for employing staff as well, and overlooked what i suspected were more intelligent or technically adept candidates for “fit” reasons. But the thing with my vocation - as with most vocations - is that the technical skills can be taught reasonably easily, on the assumption that the employee has a sound understanding of the basic principles (easily screened for by tertiary education background) and is just mildly astute / trainable. The other thing with my vocation - as with most vocations - is that a 1-2% difference in technical ability is very unlikely to be the difference between being a failure and success. These two factors being true, it makes sense to trade a little technical aptitude for team fit.

As far as AFL goes, the difference between failing and succeeding (i think) frequently comes down to wafer thin differences in technical aptitude - it’s not a world (like most ordinary vocations) where a significant portion of the population is capable of performing the job. The upshot, to my mind, is that it makes less sense in AFL world to trade aptitude for “fit”, as we frequently do in the regular vocation world.

7 Likes