Adrian Dodoro - Flankers into Mids since 2000 (Part 2)

So you must really hate our team atm.
So sad that our winning must really disturb you the Dodoro traded and recruited them all.
Maybe head over to Carlton for a better experience.

4 Likes

No one hates the team, we just hate the wage thief who weaseled his way into the job by sucking up to Sheedy and has never been accountable for anything in over 20 years

5 Likes

Has he done something to you personally? Youā€™re very spiteful of him with some strong words to describe himā€¦ Just interested thatā€™s all.

2 Likes

Of course Iā€™m spiteful, he has been the number one problem at the club and him being absolutely hopeless at his job is the major reason why a once great club is a laughing stock.

4 Likes

All goodā€¦

Agree that Baldwin and VOSS have risen to a level where they would perform a role at AFL level.

J Davey is a weapon with ball in hand, will be able to play small forward role better than his brother.

agree no great SSP options, or we couldnā€™t convince them to come - ie - ex Carlton player that went to saints - Liam Stocker would ahve been handy in defence for us.
Camminniti was a good pickup also for SOS.

Maybe saints having SOS - meant we werent a chance for Stocker.

1 Like

Watched both the Adelaide teams yesterday and like the way they have drafted and recruitedā€¦ sack Dodoro pleaseā€¦

1 Like

Going to be honest, I donā€™t really think of 8th as winning so much a mid table mediocrity, where Essendon has lived for a long time. Oh, itā€™s way better than last year. But itā€™s not materially better than where we were after 11 rounds in 2021, 2020, 2019, or 2017.

If we were the pies at 10-1 or port at 9-2 it would be awkward for the Dodoro haters. But we havenā€™t been 9-2 since 2001, when 15 of the players on our list werenā€™t even born.

And as always, maybe weā€™ll go on a rampaging winning streak, finish top 4, and beat the pies by 100 points in the Grand Final. If we do, please come back to this post and dunk on me mercilessly.

But right now, weā€™re in the same mid table position weā€™ve found ourselves in at the halfway mark of the season repeatedly for the last decade plus.

15 Likes

Why, has one of his legs fallen off?

We have a stellar list. Onwards and upwards.

1 Like

Fair comment, but for me, underlying our scoreline, I see a consistency I havenā€™t seen since our defiant run in 2013 under Hird before the AFL removed our wheels around the time we were playing Hawthorn for top spot in round 18.

How long is it since we have been in reasonable shape coming into June with no severe losses?

How long is it since we havenā€™t had to rely on the flair of x-factor players to eek out unlikely wins to keep us in the hunt for the finals?

How long is it since we have been able to fill the gaps pretty effectively even though we have played with 13 of our better players, or at least structurally important players, missing at times, and quite a few for a long time?

While I donā€™t think we have any proven superstars as yet, Bradā€™s coaching is taking advantages of the strengths we do have on the list. One of these strengths is, I think, our side has a lot more depth than it has previously thanks to acquisitions that Dodoro has made, particularly in the past 3 years.

2 Likes

Alternatively itā€™s a new coach honeymoon bounce. Carlton where flying last year before the bye.

2 Likes

If the List is average, there is only so much Brad Scott can do about it.

Heā€™ll likely over succeed with this group. Everyone pats themselves on the back about how good the list management has beenā€¦ā€¦ and we donā€™t improve past this point.

Why?

Because we didnā€™t get new eyes on the list from someone who has witnessed a premiership, and knows what a premiership list looks like.

At the moment itā€™s guess work. Top 4 teams have sacked their list manager, because they couldnā€™t build the list to the next level. But somehow Dodoro is untouchable.

The Age footy podcast mentioned in passing that the Gold Coast still arenā€™t happy with us re: our offer to Rankine last year. They reckon our offer opened his eyes to the money that was out there for him. Would have been an exciting get!

1 Like

WTF. Are the GCS that stupid and naive as to how the AFL operates.

3 Likes

yes

see: their last 12 years

2 Likes

GCS been offering their players way overs since inception

if it wasnā€™t us it would have been someone else ie Adelaide or Port

Hope we replied with "Itā€™s Adelaide who ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā–  your girl, we ainā€™t playing like thatā€™

SEN redraft of the 2020 top 10. Perkins our only one still there out of our 3 top 10 selections. Gulden rated at #1

It got me wondering, in the last 20 years or so, who are our national draft picks who turned out to be bargains? I mean players taken in the 2nd round or later and who, if redrafted, would be taken in the top handful.

Hooker would probably go top 10, and merrett probably top 5. Ridley and Redman would go earlier than where they were drafted, probably top 10.

It seems like other teams like Sydney, Geelong etc. draft players like this with relative frequency, hence their success.