Adrian Dodoro - Flankers into Mids since 2000 (Part 1)

@SCarey, although I (obviously!) agree with the premise, I think you’re jumping the gun on a few of the kids.

I wouldn’t say Laverde, Langford, Dlarke, Begley, Ridley or any of the 2018 kids are definites. If Langford for example is a level of player who has made it, McNiece and Dea who have shown they can play at AFL (just not as good as Saad/McKenna/Ambrose) should also be on the list. Hartley is on the list this week, would he have been last week?

2 Likes

I was careful to use the words potential and arguably best 22, and not the word definite best 22 for any of this group, but I would put them in front of McNiece and Dea in the queue to get into the game day 22 , given they are have more upside than those two and have less players in front of them.

I can see your point about where they are right now with Mozzie and Ham versus McNiece and Dea, and in reality selection into the seniors comes down to a combination of current form and developing their potential and making even better players if you actually play them.

And in relation to your question of would I have put Harts on the list last week; my answer is it isn’t last week, and Harts has shown something this week, which reflects the form he has shown in the VFL, so he has increased his rating in terms of who gets to play seniors next week. I did say I was referring to the “current and future AFL side”.

2 Likes

Players traded from Essendon since 2013 for draft picks and current players we got as a result:

Crameri :arrow_right: Zerrett
Gumbleton :arrow_right: Raz (appropriately enough - get fit soon please Raz)
Ryder :arrow_right: Langford
Carlisle :arrow_right: Francis
Melksham :arrow_right: Redman
Hibberd :arrow_right: Begley (and influenced D Clarke’s pick)

The strike rates for these particular picks is outrageously good on the whole.

I think we are happy with the outcome, even where the jury is still out, at this point in time.

8 Likes

The only players that are currently doing well for other teams are Hibberd and Melksham. Everyone else has retired, declined or been crippled with injuries.

It forced a generation change, an injection of youth that has left us as one of the most talented U25 sides in the comp.

1 Like

And Melksham out for an extended period this year with a foot injury.

1 Like

Ryder the only one that has hurt us imo.

May have improved our culture though.

Edit - And Hibberd although he has been in a steady decline

I agree, and to accentuate the under 25 theme Disco has also traded in: Stewart, Smith, Stringer Saad, Shiel, and drafted another young but ready to go pick like Snelling. Conor is another in that group he got for nothing.

And slightly older players like Walla, Brown, Ambrose, Harts, Smack and Zed.

Like I keep saying, what EFC has done to build this side in the past 6 years is unreal.

4 Likes

Yes agree
But
Where is the strongly built mid we have been awaiting for 5 years or so?
I hope we land one this draft
If we had a Dusty we could win the flag in 2020
Thats all we need particularly if Joey comes good next year

1 Like

7 Likes

Firstly, we have Clarke and Mynott.

Secondly, Dusty was a pick #2. Players like him are pretty freaking rare.

Clarke and mynot

Hahahahahaahha jesus thats the funniest thing I have read in ages on here

Both those blokes are definitely the type of players that will win us a premiership

:joy:

1 Like

Yes Clarke has been fantastic
Mynott is an unknown quantity

Dusty is a freak- yes we are unlikely to find one as skilful
although Stringer as a mid can be anything
But Stringer can’t be in 2 places at once

Another strong inside mid even like Mitch Robinson who has grunt and is a tough nut would give our many lightly built boys protection

We need to make next year our year

Pick 3. Scully, Trengove, Martin.

Worpel like bull of a player and Scully/Gaff like runner would complete our midfield. Ham might be that runner.

Then two mature ruckmen who can be back up and delist Z. Clarke.

One more small forward like Tippa…maybe the other Tippa. Not sure if Mozzie will be ready next year.

Oops, got him and Cotchin mixed up. Still, we haven’t had a top 3 pick in 13 years, makes it harder to get Martin’s and like.

Um???

McGrath

2 Likes

You’re laughing about D Clarke? Seriously? After watching him take down the leagues top players and you don’t think he is, and won’t be, good for us to win a GF with?

You want to play like you’re expert then maybe pick who you wanting to play clever with because that makes you look really dumb.

Uhhhh

He was pick 1 not pick 3 (just trying to help you out there Ants lol)

1 Like

Oops.

Heh, watching this VFL performance is turning my mind to mush.

3 Likes