AFL Hall Of Fame 2014 inductees

Brad Johnson? Really?

Yep.

All you need to be to get into the hall of fame now is a club favourite.

"And the next inductee is Zero-time Grand Finalist Brad Johnson!"

Seriously, you're holding the fact that his teammates were ordinary for most of his career against him? 

He was a great player.  I don't know if he's a Hall of Famer because I haven't taken a look at everyone else in there and figured out where he stacks up in comparison to them (I do feel comfortable saying he was a better player than Scott West who made it a year or two ago IIRC), but saying "he never played in a Grand Final" is just about the dumbest reason imaginable to not elect someone.

There are 40 odd players on a list and 18 on the ground at any one time.  This isn't an individual sport, or even basketball, there's only so much one player can do.  Geelong won a flag the year after Gary Ablett Jr left.  I guess that shows he's not really that good, right?

Brad Johnson and Kouta puzzle me. 

Understand Kouta was awesome for about 2 years, but that's it. 

Agree with Kouta.  Not good enough for long enough.

Brad Johnson? Really?

Yep.

Seriously, you're holding the fact that his teammates were ordinary for most of his career against him? 

He was a great player.  I don't know if he's a Hall of Famer because I haven't taken a look at everyone else in there and figured out where he stacks up in comparison to them (I do feel comfortable saying he was a better player than Scott West who made it a year or two ago IIRC), but saying "he never played in a Grand Final" is just about the dumbest reason imaginable to not elect someone.

There are 40 odd players on a list and 18 on the ground at any one time.  This isn't an individual sport, or even basketball, there's only so much one player can do.  Geelong won a flag the year after Gary Ablett Jr left.  I guess that shows he's not really that good, right?
No, that was more of a personal dig at him. I don't like him at all as a commentator and wasn't a big fan of his when he was playing. Was a soft outside receiver who would fake for any sort of free kick, throw the head back and hold his face when someone bumped him i the shoulder.

Brad Johnson? Really?

Yep.

You've got rocks in your head if you think Brad Johnson was a better player than Scott West. 

Brad Johnson? Really?

Yep.

You've got rocks in your head if you think Brad Johnson was a better player than Scott West. 

I'd be curious to know what most others think here.  They were very different players, but I always thought Johnson was clearly better.  It probably comes down to what type of player you value.

Scott West far superior at winning the ball. As someone else mentioned Johnson was more the outside receiver who finished the hard work of West.

Johnson was more versatile though in the sense he could play forward and kick goals or play through the midfield. West had to play in the guts.

However, every couple of years it was Scott West that Kevin Sheedy was trying to poach from the Bulldogs not Brad Johnson (and we ended up with Alvey.....shudder)

Finally nominee last night was Matthew Richardson. Deserved.

So if you want to get into the Hall of Fame after your career ends, become a commentator.

Brad Johnson? Really?

Yep.

Or play 360 odd games, be selected in the All-Australian team six times, captain your club, be named in it's team of the Century etc...

Yes WD, chalk it up to usual Blitz bias. He didn't play for us, ergo he must be rubbish. FWIW l reckon Johnson is as worthy, and was as good as Scott West. 

Brad Johnson? Really?

Yep.

Or play 360 odd games, be selected in the All-Australian team six times, captain your club, be named in it's team of the Century etc...
Yes WD, chalk it up to usual Blitz bias. He didn't play for us, ergo he must be rubbish. FWIW l reckon Johnson is as worthy, and was as good as Scott West.

Very worthy recipient, and a much better player than Scott West IMO.

Didn't select Lovett-Murray = Racist.

Scott West > Brad Johnson.

That’s not a slur on Johnno, that guy was a farkin great player over a long time. I just always really rated Scott West.

I wouldn’t think either were Hall of Fame worthy though, but in comparison to farken Treadrea…

Brad Johnson? Really?

Yep.
rubbish, there are plenty if players who have never played for Essendon who are highly rated by dons fans, even on Blitz. Just because Johnson isn't by some doesn't mean it's a bias because he didn't play for Essendon. It is possible for fans of our club to think certain other players are not worthy of HoF nomination, without it being based on the fact he didn't play for us. Shocking I know, but it can happen.
EDIT: and looking back at the posts, who said he was rubbish? (Your words)

Brad Johnson? Really?

Yep.

I'd be curious to know what most others think here.  They were very different players, but I always thought Johnson was clearly better.  It probably comes down to what type of player you value.

You're right, they're pretty different players so comparing them is not as easy but I just look at the fact that Scott West finished top 5 in the Brownlow in 5 years, was a leading possession getter in so many games.  Seemed to excel better in his niche of the game than Johnson did.

Surprised so many are so down on Tredrea as well.  I don't have a problem with him getting in.  Amongst key forwards of his era, he's a bit below Riewoldt and Pav, but I'd say he's at least level with Brown.

Surprised so many are so down on Tredrea as well. I don't have a problem with him getting in. Amongst key forwards of his era, he's a bit below Riewoldt and Pav, but I'd say he's at least level with Brown.

Wait wait wait.
So first you're rating Pav and Roo above Brown and then saying Tredrea is at least as good as Brown, hinting he is probably better???
Fair enough

Surprised so many are so down on Tredrea as well. I don't have a problem with him getting in. Amongst key forwards of his era, he's a bit below Riewoldt and Pav, but I'd say he's at least level with Brown.

Wait wait wait.
So first you're rating Pav and Roo above Brown and then saying Tredrea is at least as good as Brown, hinting he is probably better???
Fair enough

If I had to rate them, I'd probably go Riewoldt>Pav>Tredrea>Brown.

Wait wait wait.
Fair enough

If I had to rate them, I'd probably go Riewoldt>Pav>Tredrea>Brown.

Fair.

I'd maybe have Brown above Tredrea.  Maybe not.

IMO few players in the history of the game are more over-rated than Brown (which is not to say he wasn't good).

Brown at his best was just unstoppable.

But his best didn’t last anywhere near as long as most think. And it had very little to do with the lions premierships

Brown at his best was just unstoppable.
But his best didn't last anywhere near as long as most think. And it had very little to do with the lions premierships

Can't say I really remember that.  Yeah, he was great, but I never thought his "best" was any better than Riewoldt's, Pav's or Tredrea's.  

Agree that the premierships are the reason he's overrated.  That's pretty much the only argument for him over Riewoldt and do you seriously think the Lions' wouldn't have won if those two had traded teams?

I'd say Roo and Pav are HOF locks and Tredrea and Brown are more borderline, but probably belong in (again, with the caveat that I haven't looked at the history of the HOF to see how they stack up against other HOFers.).  What about Richo?  I'd probably put him in the middle of those 5 and think he belongs in.  It's weird how public perception has changed on Richo.  For most of his career, his rep was pretty similar to Jack Riewoldt as a selfish sook from a crap team, but now everyone loves him.  I can honestly say that I always rated him.