AFL in NSW: Sydney Swans... 32 years

Yeah, I did cut that rant off halfway because I had to get back to work...

I was going to then draw the parallel of Melbourne crowds being in decline because the game has been compromised to grow the game - games played at stupid times so the TV coverage of games doesn't clash, unfair salary cap concession to Sydney, ridiculous draft concessions to start up clubs that if handled right should see them become superpowers in time, amazing concessions for Brisbane in the merger that gave them 3 flags.

The AFL is valuing new markets over their traditional markets, and there is more to lose in Melbourne than there is to gain in Sydney.  More people attended games in 2011 than in 2014, and 2014 had two extra teams and 1 extra game per week, not to mention how massively Adelaide crowds increased due to the stadium change.

Now I have to finish this rant to GTF out of here and go home...

to me its about playing the game. Do kids in Sydney want to play it. Are there any teams they can join.

Spot on chris_64. Crowd numbers are simply one item on a list. Further up the list is number of kids running around at Auskick clinics, number of scarfs sold at Rebel Sport and number of people watching the commercials on Fox Footy.

I was going to then draw the parallel of Melbourne crowds being in decline because the game has been compromised to grow the game - games played at stupid times so the TV coverage of games doesn't clash, unfair salary cap concession to Sydney, ridiculous draft concessions to start up clubs that if handled right should see them become superpowers in time, amazing concessions for Brisbane in the merger that gave them 3 flags.

The AFL is valuing new markets over their traditional markets, and there is more to lose in Melbourne than there is to gain in Sydney.  More people attended games in 2011 than in 2014, and 2014 had two extra teams and 1 extra game per week, not to mention how massively Adelaide crowds increased due to the stadium change.

All true. Feel like the game I grew up loving has been hijacked and flown to Cuba. 

Any talk of "losing ground" in Melbourne isn't worth considering. Around 5% of Victoria's entire population actually play footy. I imagine the percentage who follow the sport is significantly more than that. No other sport comes remotely close.

All true. Feel like the game I grew up loving has been hijacked and flown to Cuba. 

This is an interesting point about the new markets the AFL are trying to target.

I was thinking about this today, the relationship between the current powerhouse clubs, the level

of debt that they have found themselves in in the past, their current financial stability and on-field

success and where they are situated geographically, in particularly the strongest Vic clubs.

Could it be just a coincidence or strategically planned by the AFL to have both Geelong and

Hawthorn being successful based on where they are? The Sydney market has always been

ultra important in expanding the game, especially for new streams of revenue. Sort of like an

Aussie band trying to crack the U.S. market for success (if you know what I mean?).

Seems to me that all the current teams that have won flags, or came close to winning one have

all been in dire straits financially in the last 20 years or so.

Sydney throughout the seventies and eighties and as late as '93/'94 were about to shut the doors

on numerous occasions. AFL step in, help them out and now are flying on-field and  fiscally.

Collingwood in 1999 or thereabouts had to liquidate their assets( schools, pubs?) just to remain

viable. Eddie rocks up, pumps some cash into the club along with his high flying Pies supporting

contacts and does deals with the AFL (cushy fixturing, MCG home ground deal etc). Grows their

already huge fan base and converts them into club members. AFL love it as it suits their TV rights

partners.

GWS and GS we already know why they're there.

But Geelong and Hawthorn I find interesting.

Back in 1999, along with Collingwood, Geelong, I think, were in record amounts of debt.

Strategically the Cats were well situated in a rapidly developing growth corridor in the Western

Districts of Melbourne. With only one other club to service this area ( Bulldogs) I feel the AFL

saw an opportunity to expand the game further in this area by helping the Cats out of their mess.

The Cats had a reasonably successful history compared to it's inner city Western cousin and a

hell of a lot more supporters (and potentially even more) to make money out of. The AFL steps

in and it's first bit of duty is to rip the Eagles CEO, Brian Cook, away from them and implant him

into the Geelong job. This was a very important move by the AFL as you see Mr Cook had prior

experience of balancing the West Coast's books in the late eighties and early nineties as that

club too had found itself in a spot of bother financially in this period. With a bit of AFL help of a

cash injection(other injections came later courtesy of messrs Robinson and Dank, but we mustn't

mention that now must we?), two new grandstands, lights for night games and just a general on

going full ground redevelopment for the good folk of Sleepy Hollow and beyond to enjoy. Well...

well...well...waddaya know? Three flags in seven years and multiple top four finishes in that time

and things are going swimmingly out at Kardinia Park.

The happy team at Hawthorn weren't so happy awhile ago themselves, with what? them being 

almost merged with the godawful Demons at the end of 1996. Hmmm...how can we make them

become our ■■■■■■■ now that they've rejected our proposal of a merger? thought the AFL. I know,

since traditionally they've always had a small supporter base not beyond their cheersquad 

behind the goals, let's help fund a move for them out to the soon to be defunct  AFL Park in the

rich and growing fertile grounds of the South East Melbourne suburbs. Since that's where most of their supporters live it won't be too much of a stretch for them. While we're at it why don't we

delve into ground rationalisation and plonk the Saints out there with them? Oh ra ra...what a jolly

good idea they all agreed. Let's see which club will make it work for themselves...oops, sorry

Sainters, not you. Now the AFL need a presense in Tasmania, what to do? what to do? Hey

Hawkers, have we got a deal for you? With some of Australia's biggest and fastest growing

municipalities in Casey and Cardinia, the south east corner of Victoria has become awash in a

sea of pee and poo. Three flags in six seasons would do that with all the constant celebrating.

Sorry for the long post and if this seems all a little too simplistic but I feel that it's no accident

that some of these recent success stories have come about just through mainly smart, hardworking

and diligent people with excellent business acumen and brilliant football deparments. It also

makes me wonder why inner city clubs like Richmond, Melbourne, Fark Carlton and to a lesser

extent us have virtually been ignored by the AFL in their push for expansion. Could it be that they

think that there is no more room for these clubs to expand beyond their traditional boundaries and

are not worthy of the AFL's attention any longer?

Good post BillyBewick.

I think a club being in dire straits is the impetus for wide-sweeping changes. Sure, the AFL may have had a hand in getting the right people at the club, but once those people are there, then I think they've built the club away from any more influence with that. We could very well be talking about Melbourne in the same vein in 2018/2019.

Most clubs have cycles where they go up and down the ladder like a yo-yo but the AFL will ensure that this does not happen to Sydney. As soon as they are in the lower reaches of the ladder their support will drop off and the AFL can't let that happen to their golden child. 

It’s really just a ■■■■ league when you think about it. The AFL does it’s best to manipulate results for certain teams due to monetary gain. It’s basically VFL plus some foreigners, however if they didn’t expand would the VFL have survived today? You’d think it would be a bit less corrupt as there wouldn’t be as much money involved, but from what I understand part of the reason WC came in was because they needed the licence money…

1 Like