AFL is considering 16 an side

Feel a bit dirty posting something from the Collingwood board, but if you think removing 2 players from any of these defensive set ups will result in less congested football then idk stick to your day job or something

Just pay incorrect disposal. All problems will be solved.

Agree, but they wonā€™t.

They want a flowing game, theyā€™re happy for umps to let drops and throws slip if it means the game keeps moving.

I completed the AFL survey recently that discussed thisā€¦along with power plays (FFS), reduced qtr length, last touch OOB free kick, zones for entire game, zones just for ball ups.

As someone pointed out, if they pay incorrect disposal it might work out. Although think we will end up with players getting to the ball second being benefited.

it seems like they would reduce congestion by reducing numbers, but who knows what will happen.

The only rule change I would like to see is the boundary umpire moving in five metres to throw the ball in.
Oh, and incorrect disposal paid, but Iā€™m trying to be realistic.

Why not just have no touching, 1 player, 15 coaches and 30 umpires.

Don't understand the opposition to the idea, personally. The VFA 16-a-side games were always more open, and in some ways more enjoyable to watch than VFL at the time. And certainly way more attractive than today's game. For me the modern congestion/stoppage game style is repugnant. Taking four players off the ground would have to open the game up. We would get more high marking, more room for skilled players to show their stuff. Bring it on.

I disagree entirely that weā€™d have a significantly more open game, more high marking OR more room for skilled players
The coaching/tactics have evolved way too much to allow that

Possibly. Iā€™m basing my expectations on the old VFA style, which Iā€™m not sure if you remember, was very open and flowing. To my mind, good footy to watch which allowed skills to flourish. Perhaps coaching could reduce 16 a side back to congestion, but I think it is worth a try in order to find out.

Regardless whether it is by the introduction of zones, or reducing player numbers, I am all in favour of any change which puts a knife through the heart of the current congested slug-fest.

So you think the skills were able to flourish in this game? Seriously, Iā€™d expect an under 12s side to have more skills than AFL players 30 years ago

There are some big names in this game. B Hardie, J Gastev, M Knights, A Ishchenko, The Wiz, R Merrett, B Gale, M Mitchell, M Zanotti. I once stood next to A Ishchenko at the Aberdeen Hotel. His back was so wide he could rent it out as an outdoor cinema screen.

How about as many players on the field as there are minutes on the clock.

The only rule change I would like to see is the boundary umpire moving in five metres to throw the ball in. Oh, and incorrect disposal paid, but I'm trying to be realistic.

air cannon to blast the ball 50m in the air for centre bounces?

Iā€™ve said it ages ago, but iā€™d like to see a lights out game where the players are covered in glow in the dark paint, ball the same. lines and goals and umpires the same. reckon thatā€™d be cool as.

Feel a bit dirty posting something from the Collingwood board, but if you think removing 2 players from any of these defensive set ups will result in less congested football then idk stick to your day job or something http://www.magpies.net/nick/bb/files/tactics.jpg

Nothing there a sniper in the stands couldnā€™t remedy. But yeah, fair point when you look at it like that. Zones it is, then

Feel a bit dirty posting something from the Collingwood board, but if you think removing 2 players from any of these defensive set ups will result in less congested football then idk stick to your day job or something http://www.magpies.net/nick/bb/files/tactics.jpg

http://www.thegoonshow.net/scripts_show.asp?title=s07e25_the_histories_of_pliny_the_elder

Greenslade:
And so the Britons, in their blue woad, took the field before the might of the Roman Army.

FX:
[Cheering]

Caesar:
Brutus Moriaritus! Here, what kind of army is this that takes the field in blue jerseys with a ball at their feet?

Moriaritus:
Must be some kind of trickus. Look! Theyā€™re forming up.

FX:
[Whistle]

Caesar:
That must be their signal to attack.

Moriaritus:
Forward, men, to battlus!

FX:
[Charging, fighting sounds ]

Bloodnok:
Ahh! I say theyā€™reā€¦

Eccles?:
Oh, 'ere, 'ereā€¦

Bloodnok:
ā€¦theyā€™re a rough lot, these Romans!

FX:
[Whistle]

Bloodnok:
Ohhh!

Moriaritus:
What? Whatā€™s this, why have stopped for?

Seagoon:
Rough play, thatā€™s what weā€™ve stopped for, Iā€™ll tell ye. Why! Every time I come up the wing your outside right swipes at me with a dirty big sword!

Caesar:
[Approaching] I say,what is all this hold up about?

Seagoon:
Well, rough play, thatā€™s whatā€¦

Eccles:
Yeah, yeahā€¦

Seagoon:
Well, I mean, and then, and then, Jack, we canā€™t do with all this javelin practice when the ballā€™s in play! And another thing, youā€™re only allowed eleven men on the field. Iā€™ve counted 693 of yours so far!

Caesar:
All right, Iā€™ll send one off.

Seagoon:
Right, carry on!

FX:
[Resume play / fighting ]

Greenslade:
The result: Romans, 900; England, 3. War stopped play.

1 Like

Zones would solve it, but how farking hard would it be to police? Off side rule?

If zones are, FF line plus respective FB lines, not allowed out of 50 arc, HB+HF lines, not to go past opposite HF+HB lines? The mind boggles. I like it, I think it would solve congestion, but I canā€™t see how you do it, without a whole new set of frustrations & hassle.

Tie 50m of string to the goal post, the other end to vests each forward must wear. Simples.

Zones would solve it, but how farking hard would it be to police? Off side rule?

If zones are, FF line plus respective FB lines, not allowed out of 50 arc, HB+HF lines, not to go past opposite HF+HB lines? The mind boggles. I like it, I think it would solve congestion, but I canā€™t see how you do it, without a whole new set of frustrations & hassle.

Presumably you could GPS players?
And just one line through the centre. Any player can play and move anywhere, but you couldnā€™t have more than eleven players in one half.
It would bring back fatties and CHF/CHB contests, but it would still suck balls.

No marks paid for backward kicking rule would be the only think I could remotely consider as being good for removing congestion.

No marks paid for backward kicking rule would be the only think I could remotely consider as being good for removing congestion.

Wouldnā€™t do much. Might stop a team chewing up 2 minutes at the end of a quarter but otherwise the backwards quicks are almost always done as an attacking move these days
Would be interesting to see play on % of backward kicks vs forwards

Lol Iā€™m just imagining guys standing on the 50m arc waiting for the ball only for it to stop 2m away or have their opponent push them into the ā€œno go zoneā€

Tie 50m of string to the goal post, the other end to vests each forward must wear. Simples.

Is a good drill to teach kids how to zone correctly - basically tie them into a web the shape of the zone

Just pay incorrect disposal. All problems will be solved.

Agree, but they wonā€™t.

They want a flowing game, theyā€™re happy for umps to let drops and throws slip if it means the game keeps moving.

Yeah, but weā€™ve seen that it doesnā€™t work like that, and the more the ball is allowed to spill free the more we get a rolling maul. Spill, tackle, spill, tackle. Real movement is blowing the whistle, paying incorrect disposal, everyone clears the area, and the ball gets kicked to a spot with less congestion.

1 Like

Multiball FFS.

Pay incorrect disposal and get rid of ā€œno prior opportunityā€ and pay tackles in 2 seconds, none of this 720 degreescrap that means the tackler has to slam you and then get called ā€œdangerous tackleā€. This would encourage players to tap the ball on or kick off the ground until they are clear.

P.S. I reckon the AFL actually like the rolling scrum stuff because it makes AFL more like Rugby and we all know where the rugby fans live.