AFL make rules on the fly again

Maybe if the umpires were still able to bounce the ball, or just decided to throw the ball up higher than eight feet from the ground, there wouldn’t be any third men up?

Third man up removal is a return to common sense...and means that clubs will now actually start to recruit ruckmen again (after following Grant Thomas' idiocy for so long in not doing it).

Wut?

Third man up removal is a return to common sense...and means that clubs will now actually start to recruit ruckmen again (after following Grant Thomas' idiocy for so long in not doing it).
Wut?
I preferred Noonan’s response. He didn’t even have to type it before scorn was dripping everywhere.

Clubs don’t recruit ruckmen any more? Since when?

Maybe if the umpires were still able to bounce the ball, or just decided to throw the ball up higher than eight feet from the ground, there wouldn't be any third men up?

I’ve never understood why the bounce is sacred. Throw it up and cut out a lot of the problems.

Maybe if the umpires were still able to bounce the ball, or just decided to throw the ball up higher than eight feet from the ground, there wouldn't be any third men up?

I’ve never understood why the bounce is sacred. Throw it up and cut out a lot of the problems.

I don’t understand how a skill that lasted a hundred years was lost in about ten.

It’s as if the players just weren’t able to handball anymore.

I don’t understand how a skill that lasted a hundred years was lost in about ten.

I thought it may have been the rubber disc removal but that was twenty years ago.
It could be that the bounce is terrible at Etihad, but I’ve noticed it more at the MCG than Etihad.

The odd thing is, the umpires only need to bounce it at the beginning of quarters. The rest of the time, they decide whether or not they choose to throw it up or not.

On the players though…
Goalkicking has seen a steep decline in the last decade.

Did a rule change that meant the ball was bounced less by the umpires?

Good to see news.com.au article re “ducking” interpretation changes has three pictures: one each of Selwood, Puopolo & Thomas. Let’s hope they do actually ignore all these & their mates’ pathetic ducking & diving for frees as it is another blight on what used to be a great game.

l think Dangerfield said it best, that there is no need to change the rule (another one), let the game evolve. The rules committee was set up to tinker with the game, when it didn’t need changing, in order to give KB and his ilk a job. The game will evolve naturally if left alone. ■■■■ the rules committee off, for good.

What other sporting codes have.a "rules committee"?

No other sport in the world changes its rules so often

Don’t follow the NFL, do you?

I just wish the umpires would enforce the rules that already exist (ie: holding the ball/incorrect disposal) instead of dreaming up new ones.

I just wish the umpires would enforce the rules that already exist (ie: holding the ball/incorrect disposal) instead of dreaming up new ones.
10 years ago you couldn't shepherd the man on the mark. Then Collingwood and Hawthorn did it to perfection. No need for a rule change to the AFL...just let them do it and only clamp down on other clubs.

30 years ago you couldn’t touch a man’s back with you hands. Then Ablett, Dunstall, Capper et al started pushing guys under the ball with their hands. They attract fans…let them do it…until it started becoming embarrassing.

They make arbitrary decisions to stop enforcing the rules they have, and the game deteriorates.

Don’t ban the third man up…just let them be shepherded away and don’t give them frees when they’re afforded the protection of genuine ruckmen.

Footy is just not the same without the third man up. I guess I’ve always got my Jordan Lewis highlights from the golden age of football to keep me warm at night.