Afl , matchfixing , acc , timelines

Mods firstly if this doesnt belong here just move it please or delete

i just find some things interesting to the essendon case

story 

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/afl-boss-andrew-demetriou-details-threat-of-match-fixing-syndicates-in-letter-to-state-government/story-fni5f22o-1226718050714

THE AFL has warned the State Government that Asian match-fixing syndicates could infiltrate the league.

And in a bid to protect the game from international crime gangs, the AFL wants new laws introduced so that its integrity officers can gain access to police intelligence.

In a letter to Sports Minister Hugh Delahunty, AFL boss Andrew Demetriou described the threat of international match-fixing as ''dire.''

In the December 21, 2012, letter - obtained by the Herald Sun under Freedom of Information laws - Mr Demetriou said: ''Asian match fixing syndicates operate literally on our doorstep and are a huge and emerging threat.

''We understand that recently Victoria Police and the ACC (Australian Crime Commission) have become aware of serious and imminent threats to the integrity of Australian sport.''

881947-demetriou-letters-december.jpg

Mr Demetriou also wrote that the AFL‘s relationship with Victoria Police was a ''two-way street'' and promised to share information.

AFL spokesman Patrick Keane said the league had written to every state government asking them to support legislative changes to allow police to share information.

''The AFL has invested in an integrity unit since 2008, and part of the unit‘s role is to gather intelligence about emerging trends in Australia and overseas, and to assess potential threats to the integrity of our sport,'' he said.

The Herald Sun understands that Premier Denis Napthine wrote to the Federal Government this year to ­support the request for authorised bodies, which could include the AFL‘s Integrity Unit, to have access to police telephone intercept information.

Mr Demetriou spelled out his request for the new laws in the December letter.

''The legislative change should ensure Victoria Police is permitted to share any intelligence in its possession, such as information from telephone intercepts,'' he wrote.

''This would include information that relates to match fixing, improper betting, doping, other forms of corruption.''

A second letter, written after Essendon reported its supplements scandal, repeated the league‘s request for new laws.

Mr Demetriou met Mr Delahunty, police Chief Commissioner Ken Lay, former police minister Peter Ryan and Deputy Police Commissioner Graham Ashton on December 18 last year.

878406-demetriou-letters-february.jpg

Mr Ashton told the Herald Sun last night that police wanted to share information, though not tapes or transcripts of intercepted calls.

''There may, however, be material collected by police that is relevant to a sporting code in allowing them to protect their sport‘s integrity,'' he said.

''This could include specific information relating to areas of vulnerability in their sport that they are not aware of. Currently, we could not share that.''

The Commonwealth Telecommunications (Interceptions and Access) Act 1979 states that only state or federal police, or those authorised persons directly involved in a case, can access information gained from listening devices.

afl letter 1

http://resources.news.com.au/files/2013/09/12/1226718/055946-hs-file-demetriou-letter-december.pdf

afl letter 2

http://resources.news.com.au/files/2013/09/12/1226718/056592-hs-file-demetriou-letter-february.pdf

letter one notes

sent december 2012

feb 2011 , sport minister  notes corruption in sport is emerging

april 2011 acc notes that criminals are cultivating relationships with sports people and likely to exploit the situation

april 2012 the acc gets new laws so they can share info with sporting bodies the afl expects its first briefing in jan 2013

dec  2012  the afl says for long term goal  that it wants to deal with all matters robustly and in the open (trial by media... i mean brand tracking )

letter 2 notes

feb 7 afl met  to put forward new measures.... audit every clubs supps and treatments  to make sure they are asada approved  ( so they had nothing in place before that )(didnt help saad )(the aod status check )

feb7  to meet with all club docs to review treatments and outside of club doctors

feb 7 the alf was to enhance is registration policies for cvs , background checks , registration of sports scientists , this will apply to all personnel not just those who work in football departments   (means they had nothing in place so charging the likes of thompson for not doing background checks is ?????? )

my opinion only and not of this website

so it looks like the afl knew more than it did  , and planned an open "trial by media " in december as part of its deal to get more info , and if open and robuslty means spoon feeding  b1 and b2  , she who should not be named , fatrick and releasing the trumped up charge sheet publicly what an absolute joke . they where willing to destroy everyone even before the asada report came out .( as we all know )

its early , ive only had 1 coffee , i hope this all makes sense :P

"april 2011 acc notes that criminals are cultivating relationships with sports people and likely to exploit the situation"

Is that referring to people like Charters who was supplying Dank thus could have (not saying he did) given us something dodgy instead of what he said he was giving us therefore blackmailing players?  Or are they referring to bikie gangs getting on the inside of clubs and supplying illicit drugs?

Why did Charters get bashed and when exactly did it happen?

"april 2011 acc notes that criminals are cultivating relationships with sports people and likely to exploit the situation"

Is that referring to people like Charters who was supplying Dank thus could have (not saying he did) given us something dodgy instead of what he said he was giving us therefore blackmailing players?  Or are they referring to bikie gangs getting on the inside of clubs and supplying illicit drugs?

thats what upsets me the most , is if they knew that early , after a month or two they would have known if essendon where going the doping/trafficking route or innocent being played for suckers route  , why not step in then ( players health  etc )  because none of the charters or danks or robinsons have been bloodywell charged with anything and our clubs been left in a giant craphole .

ie ( ooh look dank and robinson are buying illegal stuff behind the clubs back , not one player or coach is involved , should we arrest them?  nahhhh lets go another 8 months and see how many players they can inject )  ANGRY

yet again if it was all about matchfixing  theres going to be some upset people .... cronulla made the finals .... essendon didnt finish with the spoon  and hird wasnt the first coach sacked

And to add further to "criminal element" in AFL football, I read today in the HS that Jake King has been warned about his friendship with Bandido's bike boss, Toby Mitchell, who he invited down in to the rooms after the Round 20 win against Brisbane.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/richmond-star-jake-king-gave-bandidos-boss-toby-mitchell-vip-entry-into-mcg-rooms/story-fnelctok-1226718073333

And we're guilty of bringing the game into disrepute?

The AFL's double standards on "brining the game into disrepute" never cease to amaze me.

And to add even more, Jack  reckons Toby is a good fella too:

http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/richmond-star-jake-king-gave-bandidos-boss-toby-mitchell-vip-entry-into-mcg-rooms/story-fnelctok-1226718073333

RICHMOND star forward Jack Riewoldt says Bandidos boss Toby Mitchell is a "pretty good fella" after he met him in the club's rooms at the MCG.

Firebrand forward Jake King invited Mitchell into the rooms while he was sidelined with injury after the Round 20 win over Brisbane.

Richmond was quickly made aware of the bikie enforcer's presence on the day and later told King the association was totally unacceptable.

Riewoldt told Gold FM today: "I did see him in there, he was in there with his mum who's a mad Richmond supporter.

"I had a couple of words with him ... I think Jake's friends with him and he just came in."

Await Caroline's article about all this....... :rolleyes:

You might be waiting a long time.

This talk is only going to make a lot of people angry (myself included).

To me, this is the great unanswered question. He got threatened to shut up, so... his response was to go straight to the media, and voluntarily appear before ASADA? That has never made sense to me.

As far as I'm concerned, this guy's testimony is what buried us, and James Hird's obvious association with him is what buried him.

Luckily nobody followed up that whole little 'I supplied HGH to an AFL team' statement that he made in a fairfax interview... 

To me, this is the great unanswered question. He got threatened to shut up, so... his response was to go straight to the media, and voluntarily appear before ASADA? That has never made sense to me.

As far as I'm concerned, this guy's testimony is what buried us, and James Hird's obvious association with him is what buried him.

Luckily nobody followed up that whole little 'I supplied HGH to an AFL team' statement that he made in a fairfax interview... 

Read here:  http://www.smh.com.au/afl/afl-news/plots-bets-threats-and-dead-pets-afl-underbelly-exposed-20130419-2i632.html

Read here:  http://www.smh.com.au/afl/afl-news/plots-bets-threats-and-dead-pets-afl-underbelly-exposed-20130419-2i632.html

Yep, I remember that one. Still, if I was threatened by organised crime, I'm not sure that I'd run to the media, and have the ABC bring a camera into my crime-financed wog-mansion, so I can talk about PEDs in sport. Unless of course, I was getting some pretty solid protection from somewhere.

There was a lot written about Shane Charter in April, and it seemed to be the heart of the whole story. Then he got interviewed by ASADA. Then nobody wrote about Shane Charter again, except for when they were trying to ping us for using TB4.  

The potential for PED blackmail exists but a better example would be a player having gambling debts with the wrong type of people. Imagine being a key forward or defender who needed to wipe a large debt which could be done by having a really bad day on the field. Some would say this has historical precedence but don't expect this to be confirmed any time soon. 

Money bet on sport is tracked. If a large amount is bet against long odds which correlates with an unexpected result then expect some investigating to be done.

The potential for PED blackmail exists but a better example would be a player having gambling debts with the wrong type of people. Imagine being a key forward or defender who needed to wipe a large debt which could be done by having a really bad day on the field. Some would say this has historical precedence but don't expect this to be confirmed any time soon. 

Money bet on sport is tracked. If a large amount is bet against long odds which correlates with an unexpected result then expect some investigating to be done.

Money bet on sport is tracked, but when you have organisations like the bikie clubs with their ability to scatter bets under many names and locations, across the many international sports betting companies on the internet etc. plus all bets do not show on the books.  I submit that many shots at goal that end up out of bounds or even in a questionable short pass in the 50M are more dubious than many suspect. My grand dads advice to never bet on any animal with 2 legs is still probably the best advice I have ever taken.

The only match fixing that I'm aware of is attributable to the AFL themselves. They have removed a legitimate team from the finals, and replaced it with a team that was not entitled to be there. Now that is match fixing on a grand scale.

Absolutely correct.

And that is even before considering the match fixing that happens most weeks when the maggots get instructed which teams should be favoured that round. NB They don't even have to influence the win/loss so much as the point spread, since so many bets are done on this.

Absolutely correct.

And that is even before considering the match fixing that happens most weeks when the maggots get instructed which teams should be favoured that round. NB They don't even have to influence the win/loss so much as the point spread, since so many bets are done on this.

This is on the money.

My concern is not the players but the spread management that occurs through umpiring. It not even necessarily favourtism to one team; its changing how the game is umpired on a weekly basis. This week we wont pay any free kicks =  closer games, low scoring etc. This is MUCH more impotrant information than cricket wickets or team selections and look where that got cricket.

The lack of public scruinty of umpires is a disaster waiting to happen for the AFL.  

The umpires get paid fark all (relative to the players) and are absolutely open to corruption.  

Especially when their boss, the incomparably incompetent Giesh, comes out EVERY SINGLE WEEK and makes up some pissweak excuse about how EVERY SINGLE CONTROVERSIAL DECISION was absolutely correct.

And thie Giesh's word is accepted by the media as the gospel truth. Then they look around for some manufactured controversy to talk about.

Eric Blair would be amazed how well Vladistan has inscorporated his ideas.

Absolutely correct.

This is on the money.

My concern is not the players but the spread management that occurs through umpiring. It not even necessarily favourtism to one team; its changing how the game is umpired on a weekly basis. This week we wont pay any free kicks =  closer games, low scoring etc. This is MUCH more impotrant information than cricket wickets or team selections and look where that got cricket.

The lack of public scruinty of umpires is a disaster waiting to happen for the AFL.  

The umpires get paid fark all (relative to the players) and are absolutely open to corruption.  

Now hang on! There was the Geishan thing they did last year where he analysed all the "disputable" calls and decided that they were all actually legitimate.

And the reason they didn't do it this year was because everyone agreed that the umpires were 100% correct every time so questioning them was just a waste of resources.

I do remember this correctly right?

(just to be clear, this is sarcasm)

EDIT: Hang on - are they still doing that Albert Thurgood? I thought they stopped it this year

Now hang on! There was the Geishan thing they did last year where he analysed all the "disputable" calls and decided that they were all actually legitimate.

And the reason they didn't do it this year was because everyone agreed that the umpires were 100% correct every time so questioning them was just a waste of resources.

"Better than average" post.

Tonights game, 3 Qrt time.

IMO Port have got three goals from bullshit free kicks and Geelong have had one taken away from an equally incongruous decision as against every other decision on the night.

Four goal turnaround.

IMO, the fix is in tonight. Doesn't matter if Port dont get up; the Asian criminals would hav back Port at the line. Wonder if the bookies have been hit?

IMO Port have got three goals from bullshit free kicks and Geelong have had one taken away from an equally incongruous decision as against every other decision on the night.

Four goal turnaround.

IMO, the fix is in tonight. Doesn't matter if Port dont get up; the Asian criminals would hav back Port at the line. Wonder if the bookies have been hit?

Soooooo… what do you think of the interpretation of holding the ball/man tonight?

Four goal turnaround.

Soooooo… what do you think of the interpretation of holding the ball/man tonight?

There were about 10 different interpretations...