AFL now EFC's landlord at Docklands

I gather all the Etihad signage got covered recently? Possibly related?

Nope. It’s related to the WC qualifier.

"Essendon wins the toss and will kick to the Fitzpatrick end."

Either kick to the Gil McLachlan end or the Hamish McLachlan end?

Or instead of kicking it up the guts you could go wide and kick it to the Mel McLaughlin wing?

I think Norf, 'Aints, Doggies will be hanging around the AFL pocket.

Thread should include ‘BYO Tinfoil Hat’.

Is this going to make it harder for us to move even if we wait till the contract expires? Does the AFL not have a vested interest in keeping us - a big earner - at Etihad now? And even if we get the all clear with the G to move in we might find the fixtures "don't allow" us to have the MCG as our home?
At a guess, EFC and all Melbourne clubs for that matter, wont have a "home" ground anymore, as games will simply be scheduled where ever the biggest crowd is likely to attend.

Anchor tenants of either ground will a thing of the past methinks.

Moola, moola, moola that's what this sale is about.
Is this going to make it harder for us to move even if we wait till the contract expires? Does the AFL not have a vested interest in keeping us - a big earner - at Etihad now? And even if we get the all clear with the G to move in we might find the fixtures "don't allow" us to have the MCG as our home?
At a guess, EFC and all Melbourne clubs for that matter, wont have a "home" ground anymore, as games will simply be scheduled where ever the biggest crowd is likely to attend.

Wash your mouth out, the AFL has values:

http://www.afl.com.au/careers/how-we-play (tried to paste this but didn’t work).

OUR PURPOSE

Our extraordinary fans sit at the heart of what we do and the decisions we make
We Protect and grow the spectacular indigenous nature of our game
We utlilise the game to drive positive change and strengthen our communities
We strive to be extraordinary in what we do and achieve extraordinary outcomes together

http://www.afl.com.au/careers/our-purpose

Poor victory and cricket

I do remember a long time ago, mid 90's there was a very rough plan for Essendon to build a new stadium at Essendon Airport to replace Windy Hill before that as part of the Melbourne 96 Olympic bid they were going to build a stadium at the Showgrounds where Essendon & Bulldogs would play

Yep.

It fell over because there aren’t enough car spaces in that area, public transport is very limited and the road networks around it just don’t stack up in comparison to any other sporting arena that is expected to function all year round.

Also, expansion is limited as well. Too many negatives outweighing the positives.

I don’t mind playing interstate and smaller clubs at etihad. 35-40k there can produce a much better atmosphere than the same number at the G.

Didn’t mind Etihad up until this year…it’s a souless concrete jungle.
AFL members get rorted at Etihad - forced to sit in the nosebleeds when we were only getting crowds of 20k.
MCG is so much more comfortable and facilities far better, I really hope we re-negotiate our deal and play most games at the MCG. There’s no better feeling then walking into the MCG before a game (especially for the big game), a feeling you just don’t get at Etihad.

I did not know the signage at Etihad ,all the money was going into the pocket ,to the people who ran Etihad Stadium.

Best news is that Victory will now be playing it's games at AAMI park, much better atmosphere. Too bad now the finals won't be in a bigger stadium.

Are you assuming that simply because the AFL will own the stadium (i.e. anti A-League), or was it stated somewhere?

I’m sure they will still use it for concerts, etc, so why not Victory games?

Victory very good deals at Etihad, doubt they’ll still get them from an opposition code.
Exactly. Why have a regular income generating tenant when you could replace it with nothing.

anybody who thinks the stadium is run down should give me all their golden jewels and finery.

AFL can make life even harder for us now

Now that the AFL has taken ownership of Etihad the cynic in me is thinking that all Melbourne-based finals, including the Big Dance, will be played at the stadium. This would be huge boost to AFL coffers.

Now that the AFL has taken ownership of Etihad the cynic in me is thinking that all Melbourne-based finals, including the Big Dance, will be played at the stadium. This would be huge boost to AFL coffers.

The AFL have a deal with the MCC requiring the Grand Final each year and a minimum number of other finals over a several year cycle to be at the MCG. The deal runs sometime into the 2030s or 2040s.

Another thing that was interesting is that the stadium profit at Etihad was quite weak, and after interest costs on the debt, they were losing $20m a year. The MCC still owe well over $200m on the mid 2000’s development, but they are well on track to paying it off well before the AFL finals and minimum home and away contract expires. It’s quite interesting that even though the outgoing Etihad stadium management had very favourable (for them) deals with a number of AFL clubs, they could still not make money on the joint.

I am presuming (should be pretty safe to presume) that the AFL are paying $200m in total, either in a straight out cash deal, or taking over $200m of debt, not both - because that would really be a $400m deal. The $200m would not entirely clear the stadium debt, so the current owners will basically walk away with nothing, or even less than nothing. Still, if they can’t make it work, they can’t make it work. What was clear is that they were not willing to invest anything of significance in the stadium over the last 8 years that they would have owned it - beyond what they absolutely had to contractually do - knowing that they would have to hand it over to the AFL in 2025 for $30. It makes sense that the long term owner of the stadium take ownership of it now and start investing in its longer term future.

Clarification: The MCC owe over $200m on MCG development, but make a small surplus each year, MCC membership fees are a major reason for this + are paying that debt down quickly.
The super funds that are selling Etihad owe over $200m on Etihad stadium but are losing $20m a year. Not really paying the debt down much at all.

Can’t help but think it will just be another way for the AFL to ■■■■ us

But thats always been happening

Wash your mouth out, the AFL has values:

http://www.afl.com.au/careers/how-we-play (tried to paste this but didn’t work).

OUR PURPOSE

Our extraordinary fans sit at the heart of what we do and the decisions we make
We Protect and grow the spectacular indigenous nature of our game
We utlilise the game to drive positive change and strengthen our communities
We strive to be extraordinary in what we do and achieve extraordinary outcomes together

http://www.afl.com.au/careers/our-purpose

We shove it down Essendons throat and then ztick it up their **** at every opportunity since 2001.